Author Topic: Official:-Spears Confirms Marquis coming to Boston (merged)  (Read 61415 times)

Re: Official:-Spears Confirms Marquis coming to Boston (merged)
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2009, 09:18:38 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I love this signing more than I would have loved a Grant Hill signing. ;D

Me too. I would still do the Haslem and Moon 3 way that was mentioned earlier.

Wicked second unit.

PG- Daniels
2G- House
WF- Moon
BF- Haslem
C-  Sheed

I doubt it happens, but with DA, who knows. I would also go for re-signing BBD to a multi-year deal, and add Earl Watson....still a pretty good second unit.

Watson
House
Daniels
BBD
Sheed

« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2009, 09:20:52 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think the key upside of this is that on defense daniels can guard the 2 and house the 1. On offense daniels is the 1 and house is the 2. this suits both players strengths well as daniels doesn't have to guard a short guy and house doesn't have to guard a big guy.

« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2009, 09:23:06 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
I love this signing more than I would have loved a Grant Hill signing. ;D

So do I! Daniels is younger and probably a lot less injury prone.

If I have facts straight, Daniels could also take a few minutes playing the 1 spot, right? If I recall, he started in Nash's place during his rookie season and had a hell of a game. If that's the case, then this really is the ideal swing man pickup.

Actually the one wrap on him is that he is injury prone. Only played fifty something games last year. (Oh, he also was involved in one of the nightclub incidents, but hey, that's what Pacers do).

Ah, well. 1/2, then. Still, I like us getting a little bit younger.

A bench of house/daniels/sheed/baby is formidable.

« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
This has to be the biggest steal of the offseason so far. Danny sure is making up for the 2008 offseason  :D

You do realize that the 2009 offseason would not have been possible without the 2008 offseason going down the way it did, right? 

Danny drew the line on Posey because he knew that the summer of '09 would be a buyer's market with lots of good bargains to be had...

I see you are also a member of the Danny Ainge apologists union. I havent seen you at the community center on Wednesdays though. Strange....

You know very well there's a minimum Tommy point requirement for entry into the DAA union (because DAA-ers are elitists by nature) and I'm nowhere near the cutoff line.  Maybe next year if I try hard and the DAA wins more converts and my particular brand of punditry gains favor.  And I also need a car.  But then I'm there, handing out the Kool-Aid, cleaning up the confetti, taking out the trash, whatever it takes, I'll be there.

I'm in the same boat. Funny that the DAA are in the minority here when he turned us from crap into contenders and helped facilitate a parade.

The psychology of communication indicates that dissatisfaction is voiced much more often than satisfaction.  There's no need to talk when you're happy :)

I'm sure a count amongst all Celtic fans would find that a vast majority of them think Danny has done a fantastic job as Cs GM.  Reality is skewed (and skewered) on the Internet.
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
This has to be the biggest steal of the offseason so far. Danny sure is making up for the 2008 offseason  :D

You do realize that the 2009 offseason would not have been possible without the 2008 offseason going down the way it did, right? 

Danny drew the line on Posey because he knew that the summer of '09 would be a buyer's market with lots of good bargains to be had...

I see you are also a member of the Danny Ainge apologists union. I havent seen you at the community center on Wednesdays though. Strange....

You know very well there's a minimum Tommy point requirement for entry into the DAA union (because DAA-ers are elitists by nature) and I'm nowhere near the cutoff line.  Maybe next year if I try hard and the DAA wins more converts and my particular brand of punditry gains favor.  And I also need a car.  But then I'm there, handing out the Kool-Aid, cleaning up the confetti, taking out the trash, whatever it takes, I'll be there.

I'm in the same boat. Funny that the DAA are in the minority here when he turned us from crap into contenders and helped facilitate a parade.

I'm also in the DAA.... The free agent class of 2008 was craptastic. Ainge tried to get Posey and Maggette... then there was a HUGE drop off in talent once they fell through.

In the summer of 2008 and 2007, I was looking at 2009 with much enthusiasm.

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2009, 09:24:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
Uh Oh...all of the old man tat haters are going to have a field day if he doesn't perform.

Regarding his tats:

"Daniels is noted for having several tattoos inscribed on different parts of his body. The tattoos range from an extremely detailed map of Florida that covers his entire back, a disturbing caricature of a man blowing his head with a shotgun on his lower right arm, and Chinese characters on his other arm which were apparently intended to represent his initials, but when translated into English, it actually reads "big women standing on the roof"."

(1) it does not.

(2) congrats to ainge. this is probably the best possible signing after grant hill.  with a bench of ...

wallace
daniels
house

the celtics are much much closer to #18.  :)

if they add big baby, then i really believe that #18, and maybe even #19 are on the way.

thank you danny.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2009, 09:24:34 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Very nice. Seems like forever since Sheed signed. I'm glad to see a new addition to our bench. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm reluctant to see Scal go. The injuries last season irrationally makes me want to stockpile PFs this offseason.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2009, 09:25:01 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11860
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
OOooooeeeee!!  I want this

Next time I get 100 TP's.  Now that's  nice map of Florida! 

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
My hat's off to Ainge.

Bring back Davis, and we could be set to start the season with our bag of expirings nearby if another need arises.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2009, 09:37:58 PM »

Offline CbrewEra

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • LETS GO BOSTON
[dang], gotta believe it, realgm.com seldom lies to me.  I know he's a good slasher, gets to the rack, but how is he on defense, im not too familiar with this guy, other than we he lit us up earlier this year for 26 or somethin
"He trades like a drunk Texas oilman trying to impress a beautiful woman"

« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
[dang], gotta believe it, realgm.com seldom lies to me.  I know he's a good slasher, gets to the rack, but how is he on defense, im not too familiar with this guy, other than we he lit us up earlier this year for 26 or somethin

i am not an expert of daniels, but every thing i have read says he is a good (not great) defender.

good sign by ainge.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2009, 09:41:13 PM »

Offline RayRay4MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Ill be back in a week. Add me on facebook
Good sign. Welcome to Boston.

Courtesy of Reggies Ghost. Thank you!

« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Good pickup.  Can give Pierce and Ray more rest this season.  Can take the pressure off House by taking on some of the PG duties.  

This will give the Celtics three solid bench players.  (4 if Davis returns)

« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2741
so, is he better than Grant Hill, Anthony Parker, Matt Barnes, and Quinton Ross? From what people have said about him, he sounds like the ideal backup wing for this team.

« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2009, 09:54:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
so, is he better than Grant Hill, Anthony Parker, Matt Barnes, and Quinton Ross? From what people have said about him, he sounds like the ideal backup wing for this team.
He's better than Barnes and Ross. I think Parker and Hill are better players though, but not by a huge margin.