Author Topic: The Grant Hill thread  (Read 58581 times)

The Grant Hill thread
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:14:38 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Can someone tell me what makes him so desirable?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Re: Please no Hill
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:26:31 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
He's been healthy the last couple of years, so one would hope his injury issues are behind him, at least for now.  He should be good for at least one more year of solid basketball.  Also, he missed a lot of games while he was out a couple years back, so in terms of mileage he's not as "old" as his age would suggest (or at least his knees aren't).

He's had a PER higher than 15 (the league average) for the last six seasons, which is to say that he's still an above average player - almost starter caliber - even though he's in his mid thirties.

He's a 6'8'' SF with good ball handling, good rebounding, and efficient scoring.  He is also decent on defense.  In other words, he's pretty much exactly what we need.

Last year he averaged 12 pts 5 rebounds and 3 assists with a true shooting percentage of 58% and a PER of 15.2 or so.

He's a very solid backup who could play at least 20 mpg for us and keep Pierce and Allen fresh.  Playing fewer minutes than he's played in the past (while healthy) will also hopefully keep him healthy throughout the season.  Getting Grant Hill would solidify our bench as one of the best in the league.

Finally, he's the best remaining option for a free agent small forward reserve.  Artest, Ariza, Turkoglu and Marion have all signed elsewhere.  Even Anthony Parker (who was the guy next in line after Hill) is signing with Cleveland.  The drop-off in talent between Hill and the rest of the free agent swingmen is considerable.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 06:58:29 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Everything that PosImpos said about his skill and also the fact that he's a class act guy. I liked the idea of having Hill and Allen on the Celtics. Two players with lots of class.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:09:55 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I love Hill and I would like to have him on the team. However his health worries me, and that's why I would have preferred that we consider a young wing backup before Hill... but now that all interesting wing/guard free agents seem to be signed by other teams, I really want us to sign Grant, especially because otherwise we will end up with Tony Allen as Pierce's primary backup...

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:32:39 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
He's been healthy the last couple of years, so one would hope his injury issues are behind him, at least for now.  He should be good for at least one more year of solid basketball.  Also, he missed a lot of games while he was out a couple years back, so in terms of mileage he's not as "old" as his age would suggest (or at least his knees aren't).

He's had a PER higher than 15 (the league average) for the last six seasons, which is to say that he's still an above average player - almost starter caliber - even though he's in his mid thirties.

He's a 6'8'' SF with good ball handling, good rebounding, and efficient scoring.  He is also decent on defense.  In other words, he's pretty much exactly what we need.

Last year he averaged 12 pts 5 rebounds and 3 assists with a true shooting percentage of 58% and a PER of 15.2 or so.

He's a very solid backup who could play at least 20 mpg for us and keep Pierce and Allen fresh.  Playing fewer minutes than he's played in the past (while healthy) will also hopefully keep him healthy throughout the season.  Getting Grant Hill would solidify our bench as one of the best in the league.

Finally, he's the best remaining option for a free agent small forward reserve.  Artest, Ariza, Turkoglu and Marion have all signed elsewhere.  Even Anthony Parker (who was the guy next in line after Hill) is signing with Cleveland.  The drop-off in talent between Hill and the rest of the free agent swingmen is considerable.

Excellent eval, TP.

The only thing i'll add is he's also capable of playing the PG spot, something he did in PHX. Grant Hill is an outstanding player to have on your bench.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:38:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's not forget that if truly healthy, he's a young 37 because he doesn't have the miles on him that most players do because he missed the better part of 4 to 5 seasons.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:46:41 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I love Hill and I would like to have him on the team. However his health worries me, and that's why I would have preferred that we consider a young wing backup before Hill... but now that all interesting wing/guard free agents seem to be signed by other teams, I really want us to sign Grant, especially because otherwise we will end up with Tony Allen as Pierce's primary backup...

With would mean - again - that Pierce has no competent backup, and will be burned up by the playoffs.

I agree. If we don't get Hill, the next alternative is to try to spin a trash bag worth of expirings into someone who can help.

We cannot go into next season as year 7 of the Tony Allen fraud.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:04:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
To add to what was already said, he also is a good fit with House at the PG spot.  He can do a lot of the offense running (along with the stars that might be out there) and House can be the spot up shooter that makes him so effective.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 08:07:29 AM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
With would mean - again - that Pierce has no competent backup, and will be burned up by the playoffs.

I agree. If we don't get Hill, the next alternative is to try to spin a trash bag worth of expirings into someone who can help.

Exactly, if we don't get a decent backup for Pierce, we will burn him for the playoffs once again! Remember last year... and he will be one year older!! I'd be happy with Childress or even Gerald Green's comeback, but the point is that we need to get a 3,good or bad I don't care, just better than Bill Walker or TA playing at SF!
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 08:11:16 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

Personally, I've been turned off from Hill lately. His luEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l money quotes have me less enthusiastic.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Exactly, if we don't get a decent backup for Pierce, we will burn him for the playoffs once again! Remember last year... and he will be one year older!! I'd be happy with Childress or even Gerald Green's comeback, but the point is that we need to get a 3,good or bad I don't care, just better than Bill Walker or TA playing at SF!
NO

PLEASE

No Gerald Green.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 08:12:52 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820

Personally, I've been turned off from Hill lately. His luEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l money quotes have me less enthusiastic.

Do you like anyone in the NBA then?

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 08:19:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Agreed.

I suppose going after Udoka could be OK too, although I think you then need to go harder after a legit backup PG, since he is purely a spot shooter on offense.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

Do you like anyone in the NBA then?

I like teams more than I like players, but there are a few guys you could call "favorites" of mine.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:26:24 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Agreed.

I suppose going after Udoka could be OK too, although I think you then need to go harder after a legit backup PG, since he is purely a spot shooter on offense.

I'd really rather try to dump the expirings. Udoka would be a sort of plan C - better than nothing, I suppose.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."