Author Topic: 2023 CS Historic Draft Thread - Results in OP!  (Read 68111 times)

Re: 2023 CS Historic Draft Thread - Draft OPEN
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2023, 07:15:02 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
[dang]. I actually thought I’d have a chance at him at #20.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2023, 07:17:56 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Round 1 in the books. I like the #5 pick (plus an extra 3rd) and Dwight at #6 the most so far, other than the irrational belief I have in my own team of course.

« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2023, 07:31:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Love the Sheed pick. Great anchor.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2023, 07:40:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Didn't have Sheed before 3rd round either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2023, 07:40:56 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2443
There are two players in particular that I am shocked did not get picked in the 1st round. Tomorrow should be fun, a lot of high end talent still available.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2023, 07:41:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The last 2 picks I had as 3rd or 4th rounders.  I knew this draft was going to be crazy and it isn't disappointing

I'm not really going for value; just picking random favorites.  But, I'm pretty sure Brand wouldn't have lasted to the third.

(Pau was high on my list, but peak to peak, I would take Brand.  He just didn't get the publicity that Pau got next to Kobe.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2023, 07:47:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The last 2 picks I had as 3rd or 4th rounders.  I knew this draft was going to be crazy and it isn't disappointing

I'm not really going for value; just picking random favorites.  But, I'm pretty sure Brand wouldn't have lasted to the third.

(Pau was high on my list, but peak to peak, I would take Brand.  He just didn't get the publicity that Pau got next to Kobe.)
It was hard on those doodoo Clippers teams. Brand was elite at his peak.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2023, 07:48:35 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Brand was very good, but there are a lot of really good players in this.

« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2023, 07:52:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
There are two players in particular that I am shocked did not get picked in the 1st round. Tomorrow should be fun, a lot of high end talent still available.
2 of my top 5 are still on the board.

Another guy (two guys really) who I was strongly tempted by are also still on the board. I am hoping he drops to the late 2nd and I get to pair him with Zo. I do not like my chances but crossing my fingers. I normally avoid him in these drafts but I like him in this one. I like the idea of building the team around him. Not building the team around Zo either way.

« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2023, 07:55:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
2 of my top 5 are still on the board.

Another guy (two guys really) who I was strongly tempted by are also still on the board. I am hoping he drops to the late 2nd and I get to pair him with Zo. I do not like my chances but crossing my fingers. I normally avoid him in these drafts but I like him in this one. I like the idea of building the team around him. Not building the team around Zo either way.
2 of your top 5?? Now I am even more intrigued…
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2023, 08:41:55 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 151
One of my top 5 is still there. I even considered him earlier but it felt like too big a gamble. In round two he’s a steal.

I’d put Rasheed, Pau, Brand all in the bucket of “hopefully one of these dudes drops to the end of the second.” Oh well!
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2023, 08:59:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I have 4 projected 1st rounders on my list, I pick 4th, and they'd all be fine with Pau, so I'm pretty stoked. 

I really liked Pau, had him 3rd overall behind Dwight and Zo (I had Penny at roughly the same position but just a tick behind Pau).  My 5th ranked guy is still on the board, though I think there may be better fits, so I'm not sure I'd actually take him if he was on the board.

I wanted Pau because he is the best PF in this and has the versatility to play center, so I can basically pick any position early in the 2nd.  I also figured that because he wasn't a #1 scorer he'd be available at 9 (though I was really hoping Dwight for personality issues would fall - didn't expect a shot at Zo) so that sort of helped with planning.  Excellent passer (for position), solid rebounder, efficient scorer with decent range, good defender (not elite, but won't kill you).  Just a really solid guy to have the team and he played so many different roles that there are a lot of choices.  Just a real versatile player. 

And while I know we pick seasons, I prefer guys that had sustained success like Pau, both individually and team.  I know whatever team I put behind him, he is going to perform at a high level and play winning basketball (that is a big reason I docked McGrady and Carter some i.e. I felt they often played selfish ball, stat padded, and didn't do whatever it took to win at least in their prime, Carter matured, but well past his prime).  I also don't want to feel like I have to create perfect conditions to get a duplicate statistical response (like Tiny's 34/11 season is just such an outlier, I don't think you could recreate it).  That will be more of an issue in future rounds than this one, but it is still something I consider heavily. 

« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2023, 10:34:14 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I am the 8th pick tomorrow and there are 6-8 guys I’d be pumped to get. I hope some of them get taken so the decision is easier… but not too many.

« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2023, 03:00:50 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I didn't get to say much in the second half of the round, so I'll give my quick thoughts on each pick.

Tracy McGrady: I had him in my top 5 or so, so I think he's a deserving top pick. When scrutinizing, I think things like his mediocre defense and lack of playoffs success may dock some points in my book, but that 2002-2003 season is all-time great in terms of offensive play.

Grant Hill: I love it. He was one of the guys I was considering as the first pick if I had gotten it. Just an all-around excellent player that could do it all, and unlike T-Mac, was a really good defender. The point someone made about Hill being tricky to build a team around may be valid, but I think the talent is worth it

Vince Carter: I had him as a late first round/early second round pick, so it may be a slight reach. Nonetheless, Vince is an absolutely electric scorer and finisher who I think can easily fit in to any team in this kind of draft.

Alonzo Mourning: I like it, buuuuuut... Howard was still on the board. In a vacuum, I think this is a great spot of him. Without all of the all-time great big men, I think he will really shine.

Penny Hardaway: Ah, Penny. Definitely a binkie of mine. I honestly think I really underrated him in my draft board, because I didn't know how he would have been perceived by everyone else. Unlike players like T-Mac and Hill, I don't think Penny got the chance to truly show his full potential before the injuries hit, which made it tricky for for to properly value him

Dwight Howard: I was so excited when I thought he was gonna drop to me  >:( . With a gun to my head, I would have picked him first before everyone else. Three-time DPoY who dominated both sides of the floor in his prime, as well as leading a team to the finals as the lone star. I personally think he was the biggest snub for the 75th anniversary list. Of course, his one downfall in this game would be his personality.

Sidney Moncrief: Duh, obviously the best pick ever  :P

Chris Webber: Perfect spot for Webber. The way he dominated as a PF was way ahead of his time, and at his best he was an all-time great talent. I do think that some of his inconsistencies in terms of efficiency and defense prevent him from being higher, but he's a great pick at this spot.

Pau Gasol: Almost the opposite of Webber, Gasol was the model for consistency and stability for those Lakers teams. He's prefect for this type of draft, as he has shown a willingness to defer to other ball dominant players and still be a huge positive. In terms of pure talent, I don't think he can  match some of the other guys taken before him.

Elton Brand: Woah, I was not expecting this pick lol. Brand is a really fun player though, who's all around game was very polished. For a guy who was only 6'9", he rebounded and blocked shots like a beast.

Mitch Richmond: Habitually one of the most underrated players of the 90s, dude was one of the smoothest all-around scorers I've ever seen. He could do it all. With the next pick being soon, I could see a very fun duo for this team.

Rasheed Wallace: Another stunner for me, I don't think he was even on my draft board lol. Not to say it's a bad pick; actually, it makes me want to reevaluate my own board and see if any more players fell through the cracks. Rasheed was a mean son of a gun, with a great game to back it up. Gritty defender who could fit in well as a second option on a fantasy draft like this, especially with your back-to-back picks.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #179 on: August 03, 2023, 05:14:10 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
Three of my top five 'overall highest ranked' players are still available, which would seem to suggest that they're being slept on relative to their peers, but one of them I'll be taking this evening, one I expect to go shortly after and the other one, well, I would have a significantly harder time getting excited to rhetorically defend compared to my first-round pick.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 05:23:29 AM by Kernewek »
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.