Author Topic: C's/Clippers Update, Marc Stein Reporting NBA Office forcing reworking  (Read 53054 times)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we're not doing this to trade for Josh Smith or another second-tier player, I will be very angry.
I hope you have mentally prepared yourself to be angry. I think Ainge is going to use the 2014 draft to rebuild, but I expect us to be a good team with great upside in 2015.

What is a year to wait if it's the difference between contending for 10 years after that. I believe there are 6 franchise players in the 2014, most of which would immediately change out fortunes.

Who are those six, in your opinion?

Also, if we end up with a pick in the 7-16 range, do you think those players are still better than most drafts? I keep hearing all this hype about the 2014 draft but I don't know if it extends beyond just a few players.
In order
1. Wiggins
2. Julius Randle
3. Aaron Gordon (next Blake Griffin)
4. Jabari Parker
5. One of the Harrison brothers
6  Montrez Harrell

Some people would prefer Marcus Smart to Harrell but I"m not a huge smart guy. This draft will be remembered up there with the Lebron/Melo draft.

BTW watching college basketball this year is going to be awesome

After the 8 players I mentioned above (only 6 of which I think have star potential), I think Isaiah Austin, Pj Hairston, Dario Saric, Garry Harris and Suilimon are 10 year starters in the league. So I guess I'm high on this draft up until the lottery ends.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If we're not doing this to trade for Josh Smith or another second-tier player, I will be very angry.
I hope you have mentally prepared yourself to be angry. I think Ainge is going to use the 2014 draft to rebuild, but I expect us to be a good team with great upside in 2015.

What is a year to wait if it's the difference between contending for 10 years after that. I believe there are 6 franchise players in the 2014, most of which would immediately change out fortunes.

Also, if we end up with a pick in the 7-16 range, do you think those players are still better than most drafts? I keep hearing all this hype about the 2014 draft but I don't know if it extends beyond just a few players.
In order
1. Wiggins
2. Julius Randle
4. Jabari Parker
6  Montrez Harrell

Some people would prefer Marcus Smart to Harrell but I"m not a huge smart guy. This draft will be remembered up there with the Lebron/Melo draft.

After the 8 players I mentioned above (only 6 of which I think have star potential), I think Isaiah Austin, Pj Hairston, Dario Saric, Garry Harris and Suilimon are 10 year starters in the league. So I guess I'm high on this draft up until the lottery ends.

Franchise players are like Shaq/LeBron/Durant and the like. There won't be 6 of them in any draft ever.

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Hmmm...

I'm still lukewarm on the deal.  There's still a pretty good chance Jordan doesn't get any better than he is and that the picks end up being pretty mediocre and land us future J.R. Giddenses and Marcus Bankses.  If that's the case, I would have preferred just to have the youngsters play another year with KG, Pierce, and Doc, and blow the whole thing up next year.

Still, there is a chance that Jordan does progress (or at least end up being a valuable trade chip) and there is a chance the picks end up being pretty good players (or valuable trade chips). 

I don't think this is a homerun by the stretch of the imagination.  As I've said several times over the past few days, unlike others sports like baseball and football where something usually is better than nothing.  Given the NBA's salary structure, sometimes nothing is better than something.  But if the trade does go down as KG and Doc for Jordan and two firsts, I don't think it'll be something we can really pronounce definitive judgment on for at least a few years. 

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

In order
1. Wiggins
2. Julius Randle
4. Jabari Parker
6  Montrez Harrell

Franchise players are like Shaq/LeBron/Durant and the like. There won't be 6 of them in any draft ever.
Ok let's say the first 3 or 4 are franchise players, the next 2 or 3 are semi perennial all stars and a bunch of the rest in the lottery have all star potential.

In the Lebron draft I would argue that Lebron, Wade and Melo are franchise players while Bosh, West are regulars to the all star game. Then there are about 5 guys who have been good consistent nba starters/veterans. I think that there is no way the top of the draft matches the star power of Wade Melo and Lebron as all time greats, but I see more depth than in that year's draft as far as good NBA starters.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I think the goal is to use Jordan as a big athletic expiring contract next year .

They will tank and get a high lottery pick by holding Rondo and Sully out for part of the year .

If they miss out on Wiggins and Parker(like Durant and Oden), then they will take that high lottery pick and Jordans expiring and land disgruntled star (Aldridge,Love,Marc Gasol if Memphis keeps being cheap. They will all have the option to be free agents in 2015)

We also have chips like Bradley Sully and a bunch of other draft picks .

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Now I'm intrigued to see how Doc/Kg will do battling in the West on a regular and if this move will really put the Clippers in title contentions.

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I think the goal is to use Jordan as a big athletic expiring contract next year .

They will tank and get a high lottery pick by holding Rondo and Sully out for part of the year .

If they miss out on Wiggins and Parker(like Durant and Oden), then they will take that high lottery pick and Jordans expiring and land disgruntled star (Aldridge,Love,Marc Gasol if Memphis keeps being cheap. They will all have the option to be free agents in 2015)

We also have chips like Bradley Sully and a bunch of other draft picks .

Well this is true to an extent. You would need to also find a willing trade partner. I think while you bring up realistic candidates, if the team gets a top 3 pick you would need to keep it. Anything other than that give me LMA all day.

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
There you go

https://mobile.twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/347591803274403840
I can only hope they have as much success as the other Staples Center team that acquired a pair of former All-Stars and a different coach over the off-season with title aspirations.

I second that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Something nobody has considered yet:

What does Jordan make of all this?

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I have heard that he is excited about it.  He wasn't really that happy in LA last year.  I think he is happy for a fresh start.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I have heard that he is excited about it.  He wasn't really that happy in LA last year.  I think he is happy for a fresh start.

Yea that seems to be the consensus.

I think he's tired of being in the big LA flashy market and living in Blake and CP's shadow.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think he's tired of being in the big LA flashy market and living in Blake and CP's shadow.
And playing for a coach who doesn't believe in him. (and apparently a franchise PG who doesn't)

Of course if playing for CP3 isn't "fun" I'm not sure Rondo will be any better for him.

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

I still haven't ruled out this being a coming out party for him.

Yes he sucks at free throws. Yes he can't shoot a jumper.
But look at all this stuff: http://i.imgur.com/Nsz4pSr.png

Rebounding, blocks, and efficiency. All stuff you like to see from a center.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
KG in a Clippers jersey ... Doc coaching from the Clips bench ... man, I just don't want to see any of this crap. I can't help but go over in my head all the "bleed green" and "Celtic Pride" talks Ticket has given over the last few seasons ... so what was the purpose of the no trade clause, big guy? I'm just disgusted by this whole thing.

TP!

No backbone to stand ground and JUST SAY no and let Doc sit behind the TV booth for three yrs.

Instead them Celtics let Rivers be a part of the CP3 scheme and let him off the hook....

all for Jordin?   :'(

So sad letting players on other teams and your disloyal coach determine the course of your team. DIscusting

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

In order
1. Wiggins
2. Julius Randle
4. Jabari Parker
6  Montrez Harrell

I'd like to believe there are that many franchise players in that draft, but let's remember that the 2010 and 2012 drafts were once heralded as being "loaded," too.

So far neither draft has been awful, but neither has yielded very many clear-cut star prospects, either.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain