Author Topic: C's/Clippers Update, Marc Stein Reporting NBA Office forcing reworking  (Read 53103 times)

Offline CelticsFanatic8

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:46:35 PM by Fafnir »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The Clippers haven't pushed Paul for a firm commitment to re-sign based on the completion of the deal, but Rivers is accepting the job with a belief that the All-Star point guard has decided to stay and play for him, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

"Doc is taking the job to coach Chris Paul," a league source told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday. "This isn't happening if Chris planned to leave."

Rondo has to be hurt by this . Show Doc who is the best PG in the league when you come back!

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
There you go

https://mobile.twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/347591803274403840

I lack a CB friendly vocabulary for expressing my thoughts on for this development.

I can only hope they have as much success as the other Staples Center team that acquired a pair of former All-Stars and a different coach over the off-season with title aspirations.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
So Doc just officially chose CP3 and Blake over Rondo and Jeff Green. I assume he thinks having a big next to KG can push the Clips over the top. If Pierce gets bought out and signs with the Clippers, that team will be a contender for at least one year, maybe two.

Clips would have Crawford, Barnes and Bledsoe as well wow! Celtics would be fun to watch though, looking forward to Rondo to Jordan lobs and a fast-paced offense next season.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
KG in a Clippers jersey ... Doc coaching from the Clips bench ... man, I just don't want to see any of this crap. I can't help but go over in my head all the "bleed green" and "Celtic Pride" talks Ticket has given over the last few seasons ... so what was the purpose of the no trade clause, big guy? I'm just disgusted by this whole thing.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Can someone explain something for me. 

Why do they say the two trades need to be separate?

Under league rules, Rivers can't officially be traded, but the draft picks are compensation for a release of the coach's contractual obligations to the Celtics. Garnett and Jordan can be exchanged for each other. In the eyes of the NBA, these have to be executed as two different deals.

That seems to be a contradiction.  If Rivers can't be "traded", how can we get two 1st rounders for him.  And why is it necessary to do it as two separate deals?  I guess it doesn't matter... it's just odd.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Under league rules, Rivers can't officially be traded, but the draft picks are compensation for a release of the coach's contractual obligations to the Celtics. Garnett and Jordan can be exchanged for each other. In the eyes of the NBA, these have to be executed as two different deals.

That seems to be a contradiction.  If Rivers can't be "traded", how can we get two 1st rounders for him.  And why is it necessary to do it as two separate deals?  I guess it doesn't matter... it's just odd.
you can't trade a coach, they are getting compensation for letting Doc sign with LA.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The NBA doesn't want to set the precedent that a coach can be "traded" for a player.  So, the Doc compensation needs to be kept separate from the player trade.

It would have been perfectly acceptable to do a KG for Jordan + #1 + #1 deal, though, with the Celts just releasing Doc from his contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
purpose of the no trade clause is to name your own destination.

I must really really love the Celtics because I did not imagine I could ever root for KG, Ray Allen, or Doc Rivers when they played for other teams. I did root for the players, never did fall in love with Doc. KG I will always like and root for, but I am back to not liking Ray Allen. Doc like I said before never really won me over - always felt his spill was an act.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The NBA doesn't want to set the precedent that a coach can be "traded" for a player.  So, the Doc compensation needs to be kept separate from the player trade.

It would have been perfectly acceptable to do a KG for Jordan + #1 + #1 deal, though, with the Celts just releasing Doc from his contract.

Yeah when I read back my question it sounded really stupid.

I guess what I'm asking is... in the NBA is it legal to give up actual assets in order for someone to restructure a contract?  Like are you telling me that a team could offer a 1st rounder to a team if they agree to buy out a veteran player?  Wouldn't that essentially be the same thing?  Miami offering Dallas a 2nd round pick contingent on them buying out the last year of Vince Carter's contract so he can sign with them?  Isn't that essentially the same thing as giving up two 1st rounders in order for Boston to waive some clause in their coach's contract?

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Also, while this sucks, a lot, I can't really blame Doc, KG or Danny. Doc and KG want to compete for titles, which we're not going to do this season (especially if they leave). I can't blame Danny for wanting to get compensation for sending them off to the retirement home of their choice. Better than getting Ray Allen'd.

But I can't force myself to care about draft picks, and I don't care about DeAndre Jordan's upside, and I hate tanking.

This sucks.

A lot.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
what exaclty is a trade kicker and what do the celtics do with that money...if anything?

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
what exaclty is a trade kicker and what do the celtics do with that money...if anything?

Its money Jordan gets paid if/when he gets traded to a different team. Golden State rather sneakily put it in his offer sheet when they tried to sign him as an RFA.

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

Doc can't be traded, but he can be let out of his contract's non-compete clause, *and* the C's can be compensated with cash or a pick for letting him out. So, it's two separate "transactions", not two separate trades. Assuming it's Jordan and 2 picks then it will work out as...

1. A trade of KG for DJ and 1 pick
2. Dropping Doc's non-compete clause for 1 pick

The two picks could be 2013 and 2014 if the trade for KG actually takes place on draft night. We'd get Jordan and the player the Clippers draft for KG. The Doc transaction could happen at any time and be for a future 1st round pick, perhaps next years.

I'm not all that enthused about the deal(s), not a big fan of Jordan and the picks will be low ones, but if rebuild is the road the C's have determined to take, then this might be the best deal we can get for KG. Getting a pick for a coach that was probably never coming back, too? Yes, that makes me chuckle just a little.

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Its money Jordan gets paid if/when he gets traded to a different team. Golden State rather sneakily put it in his offer sheet when they tried to sign him as an RFA.

ohhh so he gets it, not us. uh ok...