Author Topic: C's/Clippers Update, Marc Stein Reporting NBA Office forcing reworking  (Read 53053 times)

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I just don't think Jordan and 2 low #1's are enough for KG and Doc. I think KG is a better play now than Jordan will EVER be.

If this is the deal...with no salary dump and we still have jason terry..then it is a failure.

Its not about getting a better player than KG now its about acquiring a longterm asset.  I could understand if your argument is that Doc is a more valuable asset for the celtics going forward than Jordan could ever be, but who is better at this stage really isnt relevent.

please tell me what the longterm assest is in this deal? It isn't Jordan...he has an awful contract that Danny will look to move ASAP

it isn't the picks..they are going to be too low in the draft to get anyone that is a true franchise player

it isn't the salary dump of bloated guys like terry, lee or bass

It isn't hiring loser retreads like frank or del negro..

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
there is no quick fix folks...boston is going to have to build through the draft. they will have their pick (which will be a lottery) and then the clippers (which will be in the 20s).

Not sure how any of those gets boston back in contention in the next 5 years. I don't see them going after any big free agents...additions will be scrap heap players that are cheap and nobody wants...

Who says there was a quick fix?  Im not sure there was any path that didnt involve an incredible stroke of luck, that got the celtics back to legit contention in five years.

quick fix i.e. signing a Josh Smith or a higher level talent to keep Boston in the mix

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I just don't think Jordan and 2 low #1's are enough for KG and Doc. I think KG is a better play now than Jordan will EVER be.

If this is the deal...with no salary dump and we still have jason terry..then it is a failure.

Its not about getting a better player than KG now its about acquiring a longterm asset.  I could understand if your argument is that Doc is a more valuable asset for the celtics going forward than Jordan could ever be, but who is better at this stage really isnt relevent.

please tell me what the longterm assest is in this deal? It isn't Jordan...he has an awful contract that Danny will look to move ASAP

it isn't the picks..they are going to be too low in the draft to get anyone that is a true franchise player

Jordan really isnt a terrible contract, athletic young big men get paid.  If he plays a bigger role here and inflates his stats he will be an asset going forward.  Much more so than KG who will likely retire after this year. 

Where was Delonte West Picked?  Where was Ryan Gomes picked.  Where was Sullinger Picked?  Where was Tony Allen Picked?  You don't need to be a franchise guy to be a valuable trading chip in a future deal. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
there is no quick fix folks...boston is going to have to build through the draft. they will have their pick (which will be a lottery) and then the clippers (which will be in the 20s).

Not sure how any of those gets boston back in contention in the next 5 years. I don't see them going after any big free agents...additions will be scrap heap players that are cheap and nobody wants...

Who says there was a quick fix?  Im not sure there was any path that didnt involve an incredible stroke of luck, that got the celtics back to legit contention in five years.

quick fix i.e. signing a Josh Smith or a higher level talent to keep Boston in the mix

Keeping Boston in the mix isnt a quick fix in my opinion.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
It was always very plausible that these guys could all leave via retirement or what not, with the celtics getting nothing back at all in return.  And then they really wouldnt even have cap space to get things done anyways.  Getting something that could possibly provide future return is better than nothing/running it back

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Really wanted to see KG hang it up in Green, Pierce as well, forget the rest.

A couple firsts doesn't do much for me on paper.

I haven't been crazy about this trade since Bledsoe came off the table. But now that things have settled down a bit I'm trying to reserve judgment until I see what Ainge has in store for the future.

2 firsts on paper isn't great, but they could end up being the difference in a larger deal down the line getting done. Or we could get lucky in the draft.

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Jordan really isnt a terrible contract, athletic young big men get paid.  If he plays a bigger role here and inflates his stats he will be an asset going forward.  Much more so than KG who will likely retire after this year. 

Where was Delonte West Picked?  Where was Ryan Gomes picked.  Where was Sullinger Picked?  Where was Tony Allen Picked?  You don't need to be a franchise guy to be a valuable trading chip in a future deal.

well by that logic..it is going to be 5-7 years before boston sniffs the playoffs again...need time for all those late first round picks to become such valuable trade chips..

Sorry but I just don't see it. I like Sully but we know nothing about if he was a great pick late in the draft yet...

Tony Allen left as a FA for Memphis

And Boston got a lot of help from the T-Wolves (McHale) to send KG to Boston. The Celtics best chance to rebuild is to follow the OKC plan..which means about 4 or 5 years of really bad teams and high draft picks

This is a pretty sorry deal for Boston. DeAndre Jordan is a stiff...I would rather see them all retire and walk than get the crap they are getting in this deal. The picks are going to be very low because the Clippers are going to be pretty good the next few years...

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

well by that logic..it is going to be 5-7 years before boston sniffs the playoffs again...need time for all those late first round picks to become such valuable trade chips..

Sorry but I just don't see it. I like Sully but we know nothing about if he was a great pick late in the draft yet...

And Boston got a lot of help from the T-Wolves (McHale) to send KG to Boston. The Celtics best chance to rebuild is to follow the OKC plan..which means about 4 or 5 years of really bad teams and high draft picks

This is a pretty sorry deal for Boston. DeAndre Jordan is a stiff...I would rather see them all retire and walk than get the crap they are getting in this deal. The picks are going to be very low because the Clippers are going to be pretty good the next few years...

I think the team as currently constituted (if the deal goes through) is already a contender for an 8 seed.  So I don't see what you are talking about with 5-7 years. 

Yes Tony Allen left as a FA we all know that, but he was a very valuable piece to championship team.  Boston is trading away a coach that doesnt want to be here and a HOFer who is about to probably play his last year in the league.  The picks and Jordan are not "The Piece" as you would expect considering what we are giving up but they are "Pieces"

Yes Boston got some help from Mchale, but we see deals like that all the time in the NBA.  Its very rare that deals have even talent going back in forth, most of the time deals involving superstars are done because a team is backed into a corner and has to trade getting 75 cents on the dollar or nothing.  To act like that can't happen again isnt logical, im not saying it will mind you, but acting like it is impossible just isnt factual.

Finally I don't think Boston will follow the OKC model as the OKC model was pretty [dang] lucky, I think that would be incredibly hard to replicate. 

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
This night could really suck , Ray ALlen wins the Championship and the rest of the Celtics are off to help CP3 and his CA team win the next two.

I feel violated

my advise

Drink heavily tonight.

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I think the team as currently constituted (if the deal goes through) is already a contender for an 8 seed.  So I don't see what you are talking about with 5-7 years. 

Yes Tony Allen left as a FA we all know that, but he was a very valuable piece to championship team.  Boston is trading away a coach that doesnt want to be here and a HOFer who is about to probably play his last year in the league.  The picks and Jordan are not "The Piece" as you would expect considering what we are giving up but they are "Pieces"

Yes Boston got some help from Mchale, but we see deals like that all the time in the NBA.  Its very rare that deals have even talent going back in forth, most of the time deals involving superstars are done because a team is backed into a corner and has to trade getting 75 cents on the dollar or nothing.  To act like that can't happen again isnt logical, im not saying it will mind you, but acting like it is impossible just isnt factual.

Finally I don't think Boston will follow the OKC model as the OKC model was pretty [dang] lucky, I think that would be incredibly hard to replicate.

That is my point...I have no interest in being good enough to be the 8 seed year in and year out....not attracting top level FA and not being able to get any dynamic young players in the lottery...I would rather burn it down, have those guys retire Celtics and be really bad

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

That is my point...I have no interest in being good enough to be the 8 seed year in and year out....not attracting top level FA and not being able to get any dynamic young players in the lottery...I would rather burn it down, how those guys retire Celtics and be really bad

I don't think we would attract top level FA's regardless of what path we chose.  Boston never has and I don't see that changing in the near future. 

With regards to this trade im not sure how it really changes anything.  If PP and KG stay were are competing for a 6-7 seed for a year or two.  With this deal we are competing for an 8 seed for a year or two.  KG and Jordan both had two years left on their deals there really isnt a difference other than Jordan having value at the end of his deal and KG not because he is retiring.

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
This night could really suck , Ray ALlen wins the Championship and the rest of the Celtics are off to help CP3 and his CA team win the next two.

I feel violated

my advise

Drink heavily tonight.

Go Spurs!!! Beat Heat!!!

+100000

Twitter: @Theanswer83

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
If we're not doing this to trade for Josh Smith or another second-tier player, I will be very angry.
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we're not doing this to trade for Josh Smith or another second-tier player, I will be very angry.
I hope you have mentally prepared yourself to be angry. I think Ainge is going to use the 2014 draft to rebuild, but I expect us to be a good team with great upside in 2015.

What is a year to wait if it's the difference between contending for 10 years after that. I believe there are 6 franchise players in the 2014, most of which would immediately change out fortunes.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I hope you have mentally prepared yourself to be angry. I think Ainge is going to use the 2014 draft to rebuild, but I expect us to be a good team with great upside in 2015.

What is a year to wait if it's the difference between contending for 10 years after that. I believe there are 6 franchise players in the 2014, most of which would immediately change out fortunes.

Who are those six, in your opinion?

Also, if we end up with a pick in the 7-16 range, do you think those players are still better than most drafts? I keep hearing all this hype about the 2014 draft but I don't know if it extends beyond just a few players.