Author Topic: Paul Pierce's maturity / gang signs? (merged)  (Read 82084 times)

Re: Paul's Maturity
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 12:32:22 AM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32
Gang signs? Do you live in a cave?

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 12:34:38 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Don't know what living in a cave has to do with anything, but look down at LD42's post below. He seems pretty sure that what he did was one and even named which gang. Even if it wasn't, the act wasn't mature which is what this thread was about.

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 12:35:51 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Don't know what living in a cave has to do with anything, but look down at LD42's post below. He seems pretty sure that what he did was one and even named which gang. Even if it wasn't, the act wasn't mature which is what this thread was about.

I'm pretty sure that Pierce isn't involved in any gangs.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 12:38:21 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
unless u were on or around the court and could see, as well as hear, what was being said....it is purely speculation to imply it was a gang sign and should not be considered fact unless it is proven.  i think paul deserves more respect from his fans/supporters.

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 12:40:42 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Of course he wasn't going all the way down there, but the fact that he went down there at all showed he was more interested in getting shown up than the team in general. That act and flashing whatever sign he was making at him is a very long way from the definition of maturity which is what this whole thread was about. Maturity would have been to have ignored him completely and not acknowledged the rookie. Now Horford knows he got under his skin. Childish response by PP. Sure it could have been worse, but not mature by any definition.

Flashing what sign? Holding up 3 fingers implying it's only game 3? No biggie

That's not what Paul flashed. He wasn't holding 3 fingers up normal like he was saying the number 3. He had another finger curved at the same time and was holding it out sideways. Not being involved in any of that I have no idea whether it is a gang sign or just some stupid sign he and his friends thought was funny ''back in the day'' but it was not what you are insinuating.

Once again, the MATURE thing to do would be to pretend you didn't even notice he was there at all. You think that Ray would have done something like that?!?! Of course not. He truly is mature.

First: my initial premise was that Paul has grown in maturity so relax...

Second: My interpretation of what Paul did is clearly different from yours... You seem like you have some deep routed anger over there when it comes to PP

First I stated that his actions could have been worse, so relax

Second, I absolutely love PP and have followed him since college. YOU were the one making this overzealous statement about his huge growth of maturity even though everyone knows he was flashing gang signs at a rookie. That's a lot closer to the facial sling than mature. At least the facial sling was funny.

Let Me Summarize EJ,

I'm saying - Paul said the right things in his press conference after the game and played the incident cooler then a 25 year old PP would have played it.

You're Saying - It's the same old Paul. Is this correct?

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32

It's dumb..it wasn't a gang sign...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/street-gang-4-c.jpg <--- Pierce didn't do this.

I don't see how he was acting immature anyway, Horford was making personal attacks at him. Pierce kept his cool in the end.

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 12:46:28 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
unless u were on or around the court and could see, as well as hear, what was being said....it is purely speculation to imply it was a gang sign and should not be considered fact unless it is proven.  i think paul deserves more respect from his fans/supporters.

Be clear about what I posted. I said all along I was not aware whether it was or it wasn't, but that another poster seemed pretty sure that it was. Enough so to name the gang it was a sign from. That may or may not be true, but the way that he came down flashing what he did had nothing to do with 3rd game. That was clear. I rewound it and watched again because it seemed odd the way he was holding his hand out.

I will show PP respect if and when I think he deserves it. If he is going to act like a fool following Horford to his bench then he doesn't. They just got their tails handed to them and he is more worried about his personal ego than the team. THAT is not worthy of respect either.

I do not look at any of these guys out there as anything other than entertainers. No one knows these guys individually, good or bad. The only thing that they have earned is that big fat check that they get for keeping us entertained. Some would question that.  To imply these guys are the pillar of society because they are athletic is making quite a leap. Some of them are and some of them aren't. Their talent on the court doesn't dictate that.

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 12:49:02 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

It's dumb..it wasn't a gang sign...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/street-gang-4-c.jpg <--- Pierce didn't do this.

I don't see how he was acting immature anyway, Horford was making personal attacks at him. Pierce kept his cool in the end.

I see. That is the only gang sign?! I'll take your word for it. Poor PP though. Horford was making personal attacks at him. I feel so bad for the guy. He comes out and stinks it up and gets taunted by the rookie that just dominated them. Sounds to me like he deserved it. Either step it up or sit down PP. We'll see what he is made of I guess. The next game is the time to stick it back in Horford's face, not like that.

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 12:50:44 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Of course he wasn't going all the way down there, but the fact that he went down there at all showed he was more interested in getting shown up than the team in general. That act and flashing whatever sign he was making at him is a very long way from the definition of maturity which is what this whole thread was about. Maturity would have been to have ignored him completely and not acknowledged the rookie. Now Horford knows he got under his skin. Childish response by PP. Sure it could have been worse, but not mature by any definition.

That's not what Paul flashed. He wasn't holding 3 fingers up normal like he was saying the number 3. He had another finger curved at the same time and was holding it out sideways. Not being involved in any of that I have no idea whether it is a gang sign or just some stupid sign he and his friends thought was funny ''back in the day'' but it was not what you are insinuating.

Once again, the MATURE thing to do would be to pretend you didn't even notice he was there at all. You think that Ray would have done something like that?!?! Of course not. He truly is mature.

Second: My interpretation of what Paul did is clearly different from yours... You seem like you have some deep routed anger over there when it comes to PP

Second, I absolutely love PP and have followed him since college. YOU were the one making this overzealous statement about his huge growth of maturity even though everyone knows he was flashing gang signs at a rookie. That's a lot closer to the facial sling than mature. At least the facial sling was funny.

Let Me Summarize EJ,

I'm saying - Paul said the right things in his press conference after the game and played the incident cooler then a 25 year old PP would have played it.

I have been VERY clear about what I was saying. What he did out there was NOT mature. Just because he didn't jump up and start swinging like he may have done in the old days doesn't make it mature.

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 12:54:46 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Let Me Summarize EJ,

I have been VERY clear about what I was saying. What he did out there was NOT mature. Just because he didn't jump up and start swinging like he may have done in the old days doesn't make it mature.

In the words of a famous talk show host from Lynn "You're making my point"

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 12:59:47 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Be clear about what I posted. I said all along I was not aware whether it was or it wasn't, but that another poster seemed pretty sure that it was. Enough so to name the gang it was a sign from. That may or may not be true, but the way that he came down flashing what he did had nothing to do with 3rd game. That was clear. I rewound it and watched again because it seemed odd the way he was holding his hand out.

first and foremost, i made a general post, nothing specifically at u....so relax.

I will show PP respect if and when I think he deserves it. If he is going to act like a fool following Horford to his bench then he doesn't. They just got their tails handed to them and he is more worried about his personal ego than the team. THAT is not worthy of respect either.

refer to a previous post by yours truly with regards to this area:

paul was frustrated with the game and personally insulted...he is human.  there were alot worse things he could have done.

the big picture indicates that paul has been a class act and mature all season long, that is the important thing.  this one incident did not do anything to hurt himself or his team, its really no big deal. in some ways, it is a good thing bc he will use this for motivation.

To imply these guys are the pillar of society because they are athletic is making quite a leap.

where did i say anything remotely close to this ???  this is what i said:

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Let Me Summarize EJ,

Allright. Let me get this straight, because I am heading to bed. You are making a big deal about how proud you are that PP was just medium stupid and immature instead of hugely stupid and immature?! Since when do we start throwing compliments out about a guy for not being quite as stupid as he was when he was younger. Stupid, yes, but not AS stupid as before. All the things you could have commented on that game and THAT is what you came up with?! Then again, you also posted the conspiracy theory thread. I guess I should just wonder why I am joining in with you. I'm not anymore. Goodnight! Better luck next game.

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Allright. Let me get this straight, because I am heading to bed. You are making a big deal about how proud you are that PP was just medium stupid and immature instead of hugely stupid and immature?! Since when do we start throwing compliments out about a guy for not being quite as stupid as he was when he was younger. Stupid, yes, but not AS stupid as before. All the things you could have commented on that game and THAT is what you came up with?! Then again, you also posted the conspiracy theory thread. I guess I should just wonder why I am joining in with you. I'm not anymore. Goodnight! Better luck next game.

there is no need to be condescending to the guy bc u dont agree with him.  thats not cool.  its ok to agree to disagree, just be respectful about it.

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 01:07:35 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

At first glance of what happened I was ready to consider your overly sanctimonious point that PP overreacted, but after seeing a direct replay of what Horford did, I changed my mind. A little talking on the court is one thing, most players do it, but Horford went way past showing him up.  Jabbing a finger in his face repeatedly and yelling at him (on national TV, no less).  There is a bit of an unwritten code in the league, in most pro sports for that matter...and rooks like Horford should probably show vets (All-Star vets, btw) like Pierce a LOT more respect than that.  I think he forgot the Hawks are still down 2-1. 

Truth has hit several game winners/big shots in his career and I can't recall him physically showing up a player to their face on national TV.  As for your comments about Paul's ego coming over the team, I would be more worried if one of the C's had no response to an insult like that.  I have no problem with Paul getting upset because Horford was way out of line, no doubt. 

He should be thankful it was Pierce and not KG he did that to.  He might not be alive right now if he did that to KG...

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 01:30:50 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Let Me Summarize EJ,

Dude you take yourself and threads created in jest way to seriously...

Paul Pierce's post game interview was well handled and to me it was obvious he decided to let the next game do the talking, I was happy about that...