Author Topic: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?  (Read 102021 times)

Re: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?
« Reply #810 on: June 22, 2023, 05:13:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Brads got some balls for sure, fireworks for three off seasons in a row  :police:

I think the trade results in a net gain for us. KP is (was) an All Star after all. He should flourish as the third option on our team and help open things up for the Jays. Whether it’s Malcolm or Derrick thst starts, Joe will be able to play a five out offense with everyone a spacer and everyone a perimeter threat. KP is also a solid rim protector.

I will miss Smartacus though, warts and all. He drove my head crazy at times with his high risk plays that only came off 20% of the time but when they did my heart wanted him to retire a Celtic.

I agree.  I think of Porzingis as kinda being to us now what Gordon Hayward was supposed to be back in the day - that stable, solid, reliable third scoring option who can take a lot of offensive pressure off Tatum and Brown.

That did not go in the direction I expected!

I thought you were talking about how Porzingis is going to doom us with his injury prone ways the same way Hayward did to us and now is doing to Charlotte.

I also do not think we should look at Porzingis as someone who is stable and consistent. He is a moody up and down player. An inconsistent player. The main reason he is inconsistent is because outside of scoring his effort fluctuates widely. And when it comes to scoring, he is a low BBIQ guy who struggles to find his role in an offense. So he is up and down there too. He will not bring stability and consistency. He will bring talent. But not stability and consistency.
You keep insisting he is inconsistent. Why? His scoring was super consistent last season - only 8 games under 15 points, and 19 games under 20 points.

His rebounding was very consistently in the 7-10 range. His defence was reliable, and he was elite in the drop coverage.

It’s something you keep asserting to be true. I’m not sure it is
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #811 on: June 22, 2023, 05:15:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I have to admit, if we end up facing the Nuggets and/or Sixers, Porzingis vs Embiid/Jokic would be interesting

It won't be, it will be as it should, defense by committee.
It will. But KP will help a lot in our drop schemes when a big monster is operating in the PnR.

« Reply #812 on: June 22, 2023, 06:08:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Brads got some balls for sure, fireworks for three off seasons in a row  :police:

I think the trade results in a net gain for us. KP is (was) an All Star after all. He should flourish as the third option on our team and help open things up for the Jays. Whether it’s Malcolm or Derrick thst starts, Joe will be able to play a five out offense with everyone a spacer and everyone a perimeter threat. KP is also a solid rim protector.

I will miss Smartacus though, warts and all. He drove my head crazy at times with his high risk plays that only came off 20% of the time but when they did my heart wanted him to retire a Celtic.

I agree.  I think of Porzingis as kinda being to us now what Gordon Hayward was supposed to be back in the day - that stable, solid, reliable third scoring option who can take a lot of offensive pressure off Tatum and Brown.

I thought you were talking about how Porzingis is going to doom us with his injury prone ways the same way Hayward did to us and now is doing to Charlotte.

I also do not think we should look at Porzingis as someone who is stable and consistent. He is a moody up and down player. An inconsistent player. The main reason he is inconsistent is because outside of scoring his effort fluctuates widely. And when it comes to scoring, he is a low BBIQ guy who struggles to find his role in an offense. So he is up and down there too. He will not bring stability and consistency. He will bring talent. But not stability and consistency.
You keep insisting he is inconsistent. Why? His scoring was super consistent last season - only 8 games under 15 points, and 19 games under 20 points.

His rebounding was very consistently in the 7-10 range. His defence was reliable, and he was elite in the drop coverage.

Not based on last season. Based on his time in Dallas and also in NY.

I didn't watch Porzingis much at all last year. Barely saw him.

« Reply #813 on: June 22, 2023, 06:55:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He’s matured as a player on offence IMO. Draws more fouls and shoots better inside the arc. Stronger.

« Reply #814 on: June 22, 2023, 07:23:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

He’s matured as a player on offence IMO. Draws more fouls and shoots better inside the arc. Stronger.

I view it more as role. Being put in the right positions to succeed on offense. Not being asked to be a floor spacer as much. Playing as the sole interior player instead of as a stretch four alongside an interior five. More involved in the offense. More touches of the ball. More touches around the mid-post.

Similarities to his best times in New York.

Something he rarely got in Dallas. Too much time as a floor spacer, peripheral to the offense instead of central to it. Get a quick hook and give up on plays for him whenever a few of them go badly.

One of those guys who does much better when things revolve around him as opposed to having to play off of others. So playing on a bad team like Washington helps his consistency. Consistent touches, consistent shots leadin to more consistent offensive output.

Maybe you are right. He has matured mentally and physically. That added strength certainly helps him inside. And makes him more consistent as a result.

I am looking forward to seeing him in Boston. Either way, he is a heck of a lot of fun to watch. Albeit often infuriating ... at least in the past anyways.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 07:49:52 PM by Who »

« Reply #815 on: June 24, 2023, 01:41:23 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 401
Yeah, Zinger played the best ball of his career last year. If our guys can improve, so can the young guys of other teams.

I think the Tatum-KP PnR would be deadly. I really wish the Brogdon deal would’ve gone thru because I think Smart would’ve played really good PnR too with KP. But that’s just me

Anyway, no use crying about it. We have our team (so far) and a capable big man is exactly what this team needed, let alone an fringe all-star level big man.
- LilRip

« Reply #816 on: June 24, 2023, 05:04:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I am not sure the team will improve much offensively with Porzingis. He is clearly highly skilled but I see two problems:

(1) Porzingis and Jaylen are both high volume shot takers and will take the ball out of Tatum's hands more. Many of us were bothered by Tatum being iced out of games at times in crucial moments in the playoffs. I expect that not only to continue but to get worse with Porzingis on board.

(2) Decline in team passing. The team benefited from having two combo guards on the floor most of the time last year. Two guys to share PG duties. This helped cover some limitations in each of their individual ability to run the offense. We also benefited from having the two Jays at forward which gave us two skilled forwards to provide further spacing, ball-handling, passing and shot creation. This gave us an advantage in terms of ball-handling, passing and shot creation off the dribble over most teams in the league.

(3) The team was worse in terms of mental mistakes offensively under Udoka and the two big lineup than they were with the smaller two combo guard lineup. This is to be expected. You are switching out a taller defensive orientated big man for a two-way combo guard. So your offense should improve. And your defense will get worse. So we benefited offensively from this smaller lineup. I expect we will see more mistakes offensively.

(4) We are bigger, bulkier and slower. Again, with the two combo guards, two skilled forwards and one big we created not only a skill advantage but a speed advantage. An advantage we often failed to capitalize on in the playoffs but nonetheless we had it. Playing with two big man will make our halfcourt offense more stagnant. Horford cannot move as well off the ball (or on the ball) as Tatum / Jaylen can. Neither can Porzingis when he is at PF next to Timelord.

(5) Our team passing has gotten worse. We have a below average passing PG (D White), a below average passing SG (Jaylen), an above average passing SF (Tatum).

The bigs. Porzingis is an average passing C or a below average passing PF. Horford is an above average passer at both spots but is increasingly not being used as a passer which will likely only continue with another prolific scorer in the lineup looking for his touches. Timelord is a good passer but usually doesn't get much opportunity to show it.

(6) The lack of passing should make our offense more predictable. More possessions with 5 or less passes. Easier for the defense to contain and defend against.

Now, predictable is not the end of the world. It doesn't matter how predictable you are if the opponent cannot stop you. Boston has some very good offensive players. So even while predictable, they should yield a good offense. It will be interesting to see how well strong playoff defenses do in slowing it down. This is an unknown.

I am actually more excited about the defense than adding a 20+ppg inside-outside 7-3 big man. Not so much because of the individual defense of Porzingis but because of the overall team defense.

The team will benefit a lot from being able to play two big lineups for (almost) an entire game. They will also benefit defensively from being bigger on the wings with Jaylen sliding back to SG and Tatum back to SF. This makes us much bigger and longer on the wings both in man defense more so in team defense jamming passing lanes and shrinking the floor. We also have two big PGs to round out the team.

So even though we lost a great defensive player in Marcus Smart, the team should improve overall defensively without him because the team will be bigger, longer and more difficult to get good looks against. 

« Reply #817 on: June 24, 2023, 05:20:21 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 391
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-boston-celtics-expected-extend-195648163.html?src=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Not that it will happen but more new news that they expect to resign him.

Add that with Browns supermax seems like Celtics are going all in next year on a Tatum/brown/KP big 3

« Reply #818 on: June 24, 2023, 05:43:21 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-boston-celtics-expected-extend-195648163.html?src=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Add that with Browns supermax seems like Celtics are going all in next year on a Tatum/brown/KP big 3

Yeah - a lot of money to 3 guys.  I’m pretty psyched to see how the 3 play together. Should be great.

I believe in JB - I think he’s going to look great next season. Always works hard in the off-season.

« Reply #819 on: June 24, 2023, 05:57:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753

Yeah - a lot of money to 3 guys.  I’m pretty psyched to see how the 3 play together. Should be great.

I believe in JB - I think he’s going to look great next season. Always works hard in the off-season.

It will be a big season for Brown. I believe in him, but he has to prove himself and take the next step, especially after that game 7 failure. I have to wonder if his relationship with Smart had some influence on Smart getting moved before Brown signs his supermax. Him and Smart had gone at it a few times in the past, and something clearly wasn't working in terms of team chemistry with this group despite their success. They never reached their potential because of it. Smart played hard and cared about winning, but I can see how he could be overbearing for some, especially as the longest tenured Celtic and defacto team captain.

« Reply #820 on: June 24, 2023, 06:19:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I am not sure the team will improve much offensively with Porzingis. He is clearly highly skilled but I see two problems:

(1) Porzingis and Jaylen are both high volume shot takers and will take the ball out of Tatum's hands more. Many of us were bothered by Tatum being iced out of games at times in crucial moments in the playoffs. I expect that not only to continue but to get worse with Porzingis on board.

(2) Decline in team passing. The team benefited from having two combo guards on the floor most of the time last year. Two guys to share PG duties. This helped cover some limitations in each of their individual ability to run the offense. We also benefited from having the two Jays at forward which gave us two skilled forwards to provide further spacing, ball-handling, passing and shot creation. This gave us an advantage in terms of ball-handling, passing and shot creation off the dribble over most teams in the league.

(3) The team was worse in terms of mental mistakes offensively under Udoka and the two big lineup than they were with the smaller two combo guard lineup. This is to be expected. You are switching out a taller defensive orientated big man for a two-way combo guard. So your offense should improve. And your defense will get worse. So we benefited offensively from this smaller lineup. I expect we will see more mistakes offensively.

(4) We are bigger, bulkier and slower. Again, with the two combo guards, two skilled forwards and one big we created not only a skill advantage but a speed advantage. An advantage we often failed to capitalize on in the playoffs but nonetheless we had it. Playing with two big man will make our halfcourt offense more stagnant. Horford cannot move as well off the ball (or on the ball) as Tatum / Jaylen can. Neither can Porzingis when he is at PF next to Timelord.

(5) Our team passing has gotten worse. We have a below average passing PG (D White), a below average passing SG (Jaylen), an above average passing SF (Tatum).

The bigs. Porzingis is an average passing C or a below average passing PF. Horford is an above average passer at both spots but is increasingly not being used as a passer which will likely only continue with another prolific scorer in the lineup looking for his touches. Timelord is a good passer but usually doesn't get much opportunity to show it.

(6) The lack of passing should make our offense more predictable. More possessions with 5 or less passes. Easier for the defense to contain and defend against.

Now, predictable is not the end of the world. It doesn't matter how predictable you are if the opponent cannot stop you. Boston has some very good offensive players. So even while predictable, they should yield a good offense. It will be interesting to see how well strong playoff defenses do in slowing it down. This is an unknown.

I am actually more excited about the defense than adding a 20+ppg inside-outside 7-3 big man. Not so much because of the individual defense of Porzingis but because of the overall team defense.

The team will benefit a lot from being able to play two big lineups for (almost) an entire game. They will also benefit defensively from being bigger on the wings with Jaylen sliding back to SG and Tatum back to SF. This makes us much bigger and longer on the wings both in man defense more so in team defense jamming passing lanes and shrinking the floor. We also have two big PGs to round out the team.

So even though we lost a great defensive player in Marcus Smart, the team should improve overall defensively without him because the team will be bigger, longer and more difficult to get good looks against.
Kristaps took less shots per game than Smart + Grant. I have no doubt that he took less than Smart + Gallo would have too. He is not a very high volume shooter - under 16 FGAs isn’t that bad.

You seem to be ignoring all the positives on offence he brings. Elite shooting, vertical spacing, ability to beat up post mismatches, and a free throw rate of 0.41 (higher than JT).

« Reply #821 on: June 24, 2023, 06:26:17 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1714
Kristaps took less shots per game than Smart + Grant. I have no doubt that he took less than Smart + Gallo would have too. He is not a very high volume shooter - under 16 FGAs isn’t that bad.

You seem to be ignoring all the positives on offence he brings. Elite shooting, vertical spacing, ability to beat up post mismatches, and a free throw rate of 0.41 (higher than JT).

Also the fact that he’s an elite pick and roll partner for JT, with far more skill and versatility than Al has at this point in his career.  He fits into the actions we want to run very well.

« Reply #822 on: June 24, 2023, 06:45:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Yes. Not ignoring the positives but not focusing on them. I'll come back to that in a sec.

Porzignis is not a high volume shot taker for a 1st option. He is fine for a 2nd option as well. He is a high volume shot taker for a 3rd option. He has the 16 FGAs and another 6.4 FTAs (3 more possessions) and 2.1 turnovers. 21 possessions a night. And that is in 32.6mpg compared to 36mpg for Jaylen and 37mpg for Tatum.

It is not the end of the world. Steph, Klay and Durant made it work. But they did have better ball movement & no track record of their main star (or stars plural since it happens with Jaylen too) in Tatum getting frozen out on offense.

The positives

The elite spacing is when Porzingis is at center rather than at power forward. The spacing with him at PF will be comparable or inferior to previous spacing. The advantage is when he is at the five. So lineups next to Horford or smaller lineups with Tatum at PF.

The vertical spacing is mostly when Porzingis is at center and not PF. There will be less room inside for him when Rob Williams is next to him. He will have more opportunities as the interior big rather than perimeter big.

The post ups and foul drawing is very good.

There are a lot of advantages offensively with Porzingis but there are also drawbacks mainly when he is at PF. The question that I am wondering about is how much will those negatives negate / reduce from his positives.

I think they will take away. That is not to say we won't be better but that I believe most of the gains will be on the defensive side of the court rather than the offensive side.

« Reply #823 on: June 24, 2023, 06:45:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Also the fact that he’s an elite pick and roll partner for JT, with far more skill and versatility than Al has at this point in his career.  He fits into the actions we want to run very well.

Luka and the Mavs said the same thing.

« Reply #824 on: June 24, 2023, 06:54:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Luka and the Mavs said the same thing.
The Mavs were a .575 team (77-57) with Kristaps. Not terrible - 47 win pace overall, which is a better result than when he missed time.

That Mavs team was also a dominant offence. Prior to the offensive explosion of this season, wasn't one of their offences one of the best ever?