Author Topic: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?  (Read 104223 times)

Re: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?
« Reply #765 on: June 22, 2023, 11:12:57 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 770
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Per Jake Fischer:

The Hawks continued to be described as one of the more active teams in trade dialogue around the NBA. Hunter, John Collins and All-Star guard Dejounte Murray, in addition to starting center Clint Capela, continue to be mentioned by team personnel as viable trade candidates, with Hunter appearing to be involved in most of the Hawks’ possibilities entering draft night.

« Reply #766 on: June 22, 2023, 11:19:47 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 895
So, the modified trade substituted:

Smart, #35 for Brogdon, #25, GSW #1

Fair value?

This is a little confusing.  I look at it in terms of what the other team gave up (gets almost to the same place):

LAC:   Marcus Morris and #30 for Brogdon
MEM:  Tyus Jones, #25, and 2024 1st for Smart

Clearly, Smart was valued higher by MEM than LAC valued Brogdon.  MEM gave up a more valuable player and two extra picks.  Now the Celtics didn't benefit from the more valuable player being included, that went to WAS, along with pick #35 instead of pick #30.

In terms of the Celtics, the "premium" that we got for Smart over Brogdon was moving up 10 spots in 2023 and a solid first round pick in 2024.  We did have to add in Muscala in order to match salaries, which isn't nothing, but it is small potatoes as compared to the other aspect of the trade.  It would have been nice to keep Muscala.  He is a useful bench piece that will need to be replaced.

« Reply #767 on: June 22, 2023, 11:21:13 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3243
With Tatum, Brown, White TIMELORD, and Porzingis on the floor how many open looks will Prozingis get?

« Reply #768 on: June 22, 2023, 11:22:02 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 626
If Brogon's injury is as bad as some think, the trade doesn't make sense. I don't think Brad is that dumb and desperate to do this trade unless it's not as bad as we think, or there's another deal in the works to bring more depth to the PG spot.

Also, I'd not worry too much about KP's defensive stats against Embiid and Giannis. He's on a better team and the flow of those games will be different is my theory.

Regardless of what happens, AL is too old to be depended on, and the team's philosophy has changed making Rob not as effective. I'm not defending this change although I do have reservations. That said, I can understand why the move was made.

If KP stays healthy, we will gain way more than we lost with this trade.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #769 on: June 22, 2023, 11:23:44 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 410
If Porzingis is the 3rd best player on your team, you have a STACKED team. Add D-White and Timelord, 2 very high level role players, and this team is ridiculous

I wonder what else PBS will do but this team, as constructed, looks scary on paper.

White-Brown-Tatum-Zinger-Timelord
- LilRip

« Reply #770 on: June 22, 2023, 11:28:15 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2589
If Porzingis is the 3rd best player on your team, you have a STACKED team. Add D-White and Timelord, 2 very high level role players, and this team is ridiculous

I wonder what else PBS will do but this team, as constructed, looks scary on paper.

I’m getting a little giddy thinking about this lineup.   Smart trade actually upgrades two starting positions.

« Reply #771 on: June 22, 2023, 11:31:48 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

That is an awesome starting lineup.  And we have Horford and Brogdon coming off the bench.  We just need to find a backup wing.

« Reply #772 on: June 22, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 770
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I like that starting 5 a lot.

Concerns: guard depth off bench. How is Brogdan really? If he is hurt badly can PP actually be a regular rotation guy?

Wing: Still need a wing if Hauser isn't trusted at this point.

Who takes Grant's role? Hopefully they draft someone tonight that can step in for him if he goes. Also, who do they get if Grant leaves using the exception or in a sign and trade?

Bigs: Seems you have Al ready and fresh and Kornet, who is basically unplayable.

« Reply #773 on: June 22, 2023, 11:33:33 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2756
Is the GSWs 2024 pick protected?

« Reply #774 on: June 22, 2023, 11:34:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25577
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Top-4

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #775 on: June 22, 2023, 11:39:00 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2756

Top-4

That could end up being a great pick then.

« Reply #776 on: June 22, 2023, 11:40:55 AM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 586

Top-4

Its got upside. You are one Steph injury away from a potential lottery pick.

But The warriors could easily be like the 4th seed in the west, so its got a pretty wide range.

« Reply #777 on: June 22, 2023, 11:41:14 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
With Tatum, Brown, White TIMELORD, and Porzingis on the floor how many open looks will Prozingis get?

Not sure exactly what you are getting at but I would expect that Porzingis playing on this team will mean less shots for him but better shots.  He may score less overall, but hopefully he will score more efficiently.  He would be a nice target if Tatum or Brown is doubled.  He should make the offense more versatile, hopefully less predictable.

Is that where you were going with this?

« Reply #778 on: June 22, 2023, 11:47:52 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Top-4

Its got upside. You are one Steph injury away from a potential lottery pick.

But The warriors could easily be like the 4th seed in the wets, so its got a pretty wide range.

This is a very solid pick, and only deferred one season.  My prediction is that it will be in the 15-25 range in the 2024 draft.  I feel that GSW are teetering a bit on becoming a lottery team for a few seasons.  It probably is not going to happen next season, but it could.  And if for any reason, they do crater next season, and the pick ends up top 4 in 2024, it becomes only Top 1 protected in 2025, and completely unprotected in 2026.  It isn't like this is going to end up being 2 seconds.

« Reply #779 on: June 22, 2023, 11:49:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 987
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I like that starting 5 a lot.

Concerns: guard depth off bench. How is Brogdan really? If he is hurt badly can PP actually be a regular rotation guy?

Wing: Still need a wing if Hauser isn't trusted at this point.

Who takes Grant's role? Hopefully they draft someone tonight that can step in for him if he goes. Also, who do they get if Grant leaves using the exception or in a sign and trade?

Bigs: Seems you have Al ready and fresh and Kornet, who is basically unplayable.
Grant is a tweener and, in my opinion, he didn't really have "a role", but was a minutes-eater. Porzingis is better in every way which will push Tatum to the 3-spot more often. There's no "Grant minutes" to backfill.