Author Topic: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?  (Read 101917 times)

Re: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2023, 05:56:32 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
Why is everyone, and Twitter, acting like this is a done deal. It’s not official yet, right?

When the pieces being traded are so detailed and listed by multiple credible sources, it usually means the deal is essentially done.
I hope you’re right. The pieces around ARod to Sox were pretty concrete though. 😉😂

« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2023, 05:57:49 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Like this trade as we need another big..also gives Horford some rest & we know TimeLord will get injured at some point..just hope Porzingis can stay healthy..
Also seen some ppl down bout Grant not coming back but who u rather have, Grant or Porzingis? I take Porzingis all day
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2023, 05:58:54 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
If Brogdon goes to Clippers where will Paul go at now? I say Warriors or Lakers if he get bought out
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2023, 05:59:18 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 391
Like this trade as we need another big..also gives Horford some rest & we know TimeLord will get injured at some point..just hope Porzingis can stay healthy..
Also seen some ppl down bout Grant not coming back but who u rather have, Grant or Porzingis? I take Porzingis all day

Well let's also see what return grant brings back... It's not like he's walking for nothing.

Maybe we can get a roleplayer wing..

« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2023, 05:59:50 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580
The Boston Celtics will be $8M below the second tax apron with 12 players after acquiring Kristaps Porzingis. If Grant Williams doesn’t return, they still have enough flexibility to use the $5M tax MLE. Re-signing him would take them over the second apron, eliminating the MLE.

I can't imagine we match any offer for Grant.

The 2nd apron doesn't really matter much this year. The only thing you lose is the MLE, the other penalties don't kick in this year. So really the question is what is

a) Grant on whatever contract he gets offered
b) 5 Million MLE guy + tax savings.

They could easily re-sign grant, it would just cost them  a lot in tax.

« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2023, 06:00:53 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Trayce Jackson-Davis falling to 35 would be ideal even mote now. I always liked the Davises for the Pacers back in the day.

« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2023, 06:02:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233

Well let's also see what return grant brings back... It's not like he's walking for nothing.

Maybe we can get a roleplayer wing..

I liked Amir Coffey the times I've seen him play. Too bad he's not coming to us.

« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2023, 06:03:27 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Trayce Jackson-Davis falling to 35 would be ideal even mote now. I always liked the Davises for the Pacers back in the day.

Yes. This is the player I really want Boston to grab

« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2023, 06:06:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Boston Celtics will be $8M below the second tax apron with 12 players after acquiring Kristaps Porzingis. If Grant Williams doesn’t return, they still have enough flexibility to use the $5M tax MLE. Re-signing him would take them over the second apron, eliminating the MLE.

I can't imagine we match any offer for Grant.

The 2nd apron doesn't really matter much this year. The only thing you lose is the MLE, the other penalties don't kick in this year. So really the question is what is

a) Grant on whatever contract he gets offered
b) 5 Million MLE guy + tax savings.

They could easily re-sign grant, it would just cost them  a lot in tax.

And it would lock them into a midrange contract that they couldn't afford to keep, and would start the clock on a repeater tax.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2023, 06:08:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
Why is everyone, and Twitter, acting like this is a done deal. It’s not official yet, right?
I was just about to ask the same thing. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.

Me too - as someone just catching up on this, sure has the feel on this thread like it's happening.

BTW -- this is exactly the kind of thing you want to come home to -- open up CStrong and get the feeling of a real deal in progress.

« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2023, 06:11:39 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Regarding the G. Will situation, it seems like Dallas wants him super badly. Would something like G. Will for Bullock and Josh Green be interesting for anyone? A role player and an interesting young player to fill out our wing depth. Honestly, I have a hard time predicting how much the league values G. Will, so this may be off base.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2023, 06:12:42 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
It's front page news on ESPN now, so it must be pretty close.

Celtics working to acquire Wizards' Kristaps Porzingis, sources say
play

Tim Bontemps, ESPN
Jun 21, 2023, 05:11 PM ET

The Boston Celtics, LA Clippers and Washington Wizards are working on a three-team trade that would see the Celtics acquire Kristaps Porzingis and the Clippers land Malcolm Brogdon, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, although there are still outstanding issues to be resolved before a deal can be completed.

As part of the proposed framework, Porzingis would opt into his $36 million contract for the 2023-24 season and go from Washington to Boston; Brogdon would go from Boston to the Clippers; and the Wizards would receive Marcus Morris, Amir Coffey and the 30th pick in this year's draft from the Clippers, along with forward Danilo Gallinari from Boston, sources said.

Porzingis, who will turn 28 on Aug. 2, had arguably the best season of his NBA career this past year in Washington, averaging a career-high 23.2 points to go along with 8.4 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.5 blocks in 65 games for the Wizards. The fourth overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft by the Knicks was playing his first full season in Washington after the Wizards traded for him at the 2022 trade deadline, sending Spencer Dinwiddie and Davis Bertans to Dallas in exchange.

Now, he could potentially be off to Boston, which is attempting to retool its roster to make another run at an 18th NBA championship this coming season. In addition to possibly landing Porzingis, Boston can offer All-Star forward Jaylen Brown a five-year, $295 million contract extension this summer, and it also has to sort out the future of restricted free agent forward Grant Williams.

Brogdon, 30, won Sixth Man of the Year this past season for the Celtics, averaging 14.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.7 assists in 67 games -- all of which came in a reserve role after he had started every game he played across the previous four seasons with the Milwaukee Bucks and Indiana Pacers.

Brogdon would provide the Clippers with a similar offensive boost, in exchange for the final pick of the first round in this year's draft, an expiring contract in Morris and a young wing player in Coffey.

Washington, meanwhile, continues to revamp its roster under its new president of basketball operations Michael Winger after making the blockbuster trade to send Bradley Beal to the Phoenix Suns on Sunday for Chris Paul, Landry Shamet, several second-round picks and first-round pick swaps.

Sources told Wojnarowski on Tuesday that Washington forward Kyle Kuzma, one of the more intriguing free agents available this summer, has declined his player option and will be an unrestricted free agent.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37894749/celtics-working-acquire-wizards-kristaps-porzingis-sources-say
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2023, 06:13:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
Regarding the G. Will situation, it seems like Dallas wants him super badly. Would something like G. Will for Bullock and Josh Green be interesting for anyone? A role player and an interesting young player to fill out our wing depth. Honestly, I have a hard time predicting how much the league values G. Will, so this may be off base.

I would like that trade. I'm really interested in Josh Green and Bullock is a solid vet.

« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2023, 06:16:07 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Well I'll hand it to Brad. Thought we were going to just run it back. But he's making big changes to the roster

Yeah, I am surprised too. Aggressive move. Big time risk to take (injury risk, cost of contract extension, possible limitation of future flexability as a result). That risk taking by PBS surprises me also.

I will say though how much more of an injury risk is he than brogdon?

Brogdon played the highest amount of games in his career since his rookie season last year.
And then ended up getting hurt in the playoffs, resulting in him laying a massive egg against Miami.

Porzingis and Brogdon are both injury-prone, but I would much rather take a chance on Porzingis' ceiling than Brogdon's.

« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2023, 06:20:11 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 391
still surprised Brad making this type of trade. this is like a Danny "fireworks" shoot for the stars trade to try and get the team over the top

also indicates us going more back towards a more traditional lineup and less small ball? Although I do wonder if Boston didn't expect White to improve as much as he did which kind of created a redundancy/logjam with Smart/White/Brogdon.