Author Topic: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?  (Read 89156 times)

Re: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2023, 05:10:26 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
We still need a Head Coach.

He will be under pressure from day one, I wonder if bud gets hired as a consultant

Re: We are in on Porzingis?
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2023, 05:11:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Okay, so money wise I think a Brogdon+Gallo package would work money wise. Lets assume those two are shipped to a third team for assets that are flipped for KP.

At that price the deal makes SOME sense. KP opts in for next year at 36 million and becomes an expiring. Celtics get more expensive for NEXT year but get off the 22 million for Brogdon in 24-25, when Jaylen's extension kicks in and they become FAR more expensive. Its sort of a 1 year gamble on a guy who will still be only 28 next year. Unlike a guy like Ayton, KP is a good enough shooter that you can probably play any two of Horford/Rob/KP at a given time so having too many center isn't AS big a deal.

If all you give up is Brogdon+ other small asset or equivalent I'd like it. It simplifies the Celtics contract situation going forward and really beefs up the center position.

Remember, most of the reason the C's want to trade Brogdon is they don't want the extra year of his deal on the books when Jaylens contract kicks in. Shifting that to a guy essentially on an expiring makes sense.

That is shocking to me that this is why they want to trade Brogdon. I worry they are too worried about the financial situation if this is accurate.
I don't know that there is any proof of this being the case.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2023, 05:11:32 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I like KP SOOOOOOO much more than that Ayton rumor. Actually legit shooter. Defensive impact much higher.
I prefer Ayton myself. Porzingis has more talent but very high injury risk. I am comfortable with Ayton. More dependable.
Dependably mediocre, with an absolutely terrible contract. He got benched for Jock Landale in the playoffs lol. You can at least get out of Porzingis next year if it doesn't work out.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2023, 05:12:41 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I like KP SOOOOOOO much more than that Ayton rumor. Actually legit shooter. Defensive impact much higher.
I prefer Ayton myself. Porzingis has more talent but very high injury risk. I am comfortable with Ayton. More dependable.

What are you suggesting?  Porzingis to PHX and Ayton to BOS?  I am OK with that but not sure I actually prefer it.  I don't think a direct deal with PHX involving Brogdon and Gallinari is still on the table now that they have Beal, but maybe.

« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2023, 05:12:44 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
We still need a Head Coach.

He will be under pressure from day one, I wonder if bud gets hired as a consultant
As he should be. Sam Cassell is likely the coach in waiting.

« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2023, 05:13:04 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575

I get the injury stuff, I just don't really think Ayton is actually good. Not in a way that a title team needs anyway.

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2023, 05:13:47 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 6 minutes ago
According to multiple league sources, the completion of the Porzingis deal would likely mean that Grant Williams's time in Boston has come to an end.

So, it would net out to KP for Brogdon + Gallo + Williams?

I’m pretty sure the Celtics will still give Grant his qualifying offer.  He’s not walking for nothing.

We may not have a huge choice, right?  KP adds about $7 - $8 million to payroll, right?  Can we realistically afford to match?
Don’t forget though that Al’s contract is dropping $16.5 million from $26.5 to $10. So I think they could probably afford it for next year. Question really is when the new CBA kicks in the following year. Porzingis will walk. Do we really want to be without Grant then?

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2023, 05:14:43 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Okay, so money wise I think a Brogdon+Gallo package would work money wise. Lets assume those two are shipped to a third team for assets that are flipped for KP.

At that price the deal makes SOME sense. KP opts in for next year at 36 million and becomes an expiring. Celtics get more expensive for NEXT year but get off the 22 million for Brogdon in 24-25, when Jaylen's extension kicks in and they become FAR more expensive. Its sort of a 1 year gamble on a guy who will still be only 28 next year. Unlike a guy like Ayton, KP is a good enough shooter that you can probably play any two of Horford/Rob/KP at a given time so having too many center isn't AS big a deal.

If all you give up is Brogdon+ other small asset or equivalent I'd like it. It simplifies the Celtics contract situation going forward and really beefs up the center position.

Remember, most of the reason the C's want to trade Brogdon is they don't want the extra year of his deal on the books when Jaylens contract kicks in. Shifting that to a guy essentially on an expiring makes sense.

That is shocking to me that this is why they want to trade Brogdon. I worry they are too worried about the financial situation if this is accurate.

I agree.  This is absolute speculation that the number of years has anything to do with it.  Trading Brogdon for Porzingis is getting a starting big in return for a combo guard who isn't even starting.  It is about roster balance.

« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2023, 05:15:06 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380

It’s certainly a plausible explanation though. The new CBA is a killer.

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2023, 05:16:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Dependably mediocre, with an absolutely terrible contract. He got benched for Jock Landale in the playoffs lol. You can at least get out of Porzingis next year if it doesn't work out.
I don't know that Ayton is mediocre by any definition. He's a walking double-double with high efficiency and solid defence. He's just overpaid, and has never really improved.

Benching him for Landale was a petty move to me. And now that coach is gone.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2023, 05:17:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575

Look, it may or may not be. But trading a guy with 2 years left on his deal for a guy with 1 year left would seem to support the idea that they want to drop guaranteed salary in 24-25 when Jaylen's extension kicks in.

Of course maybe KP comes with an extension and blows that idea up. Its possible the C's just think he's so good they decide to blow right through the 2nd apron.

By some advanced metrics he was like the 20th-25th bets player in the NBA last year.

« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2023, 05:18:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
I like Kristaps  but I am worried we are getting Dallas Kristaps as Maz will not create a system where the Jay's and Marcus share the ball with him. That is why I am favouring a CP3 trade.

This is a concern for me as well. Will Porzingis get the ball in the right spots? Will he get the ball often enough? Or will he get used more as a floor spacer for the Jays? Will he be happy?

He is a player whose performance fluctuates widely depending on whether he used correctly or not & whether or not he is given the ball often enough. And if his offense isn't right, his effort on defense will decrease.

Moody player.

« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2023, 05:18:16 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Still need a legit wing off the bench

« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2023, 05:19:38 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird