Author Topic: Celts get Derrick White for Richardson, Langford, #1, 2028 pick swap  (Read 66289 times)

Re: Celts get Derrick White for Richardson, Langford, #1
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2022, 02:21:00 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 151
That first round swap...that's unforgiveable. You have to hold your ground if you're Brad on that -- there's no way that was the hold-up in the deal and the Spurs wouldn't have done it without that. Negotiate for a second round swap if you have to give something to sweeten it. You absolutely cannot risk that. The Warriors were 15-50 two years ago. Nobody would have thought that five years ago. Unbelievable rolling of the dice.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2022, 02:21:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
No way we included the swap rights, too, right? That’s insanely risky, especially if no protections.

I’m going to give it 40 more minutes before fully judging this deal. Has to be another shoe to drop, as Smart, White, and Schroeder are just too much together.

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2022, 02:21:53 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
Are Smart and White redundant?

Not when we get Collins for Smart…any minute now…

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2022, 02:22:59 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
I think that for what the Celtics need, this year's first round pick is worthless. Celts need a point guard that at a minimum can be a starter on a championship team: maybe the worst starter, but a starter. Marcus Smart might be if he can pull a Grant Williams and be a 50-40-90 shooter. Josh Richardson is a good 2nd team player, but I don't think he could be a starter. Point Guards take time to develop: think of Chauncey Billups. I think Pritchard is not a good fit for this team's defense first. Maybe some super great point guard will become available in the next five years, but having White makes you more competitive while waiting to luck out on a super point guard.
The plan for the Celtics is to be a defense first team. Unlike offense, one weak link breaks a defense (see Isaiah Thomas). Looking at PG in this draft was depressing: none seemed taller than Pritchard: some were probably better passers, but not as good shooters.

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2022, 02:23:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Pick is protected and a swap rights? Not a free pick?

Richardson
Langford
2022 1st (protected 1-4)
2028 pick swap option

for

White

Thx,
This is a terrible deal

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2022, 02:23:15 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436

Al & Smart for Collins & brogan be perfect
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2022, 02:24:17 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998
After completing the deal with the Spurs, the Celtics remain engaged in Dennis Schroder trade discussions, per source.

Adam Himmelsbach

Worth noting that Pritchard would potentially fit well next to White, if our intent is to bring White off the bench.  A defender and distributor like White could free Payton up to just do what he does best - launch.

Richardson kind of filled that role, too, though.

White is a MUCH better player then Richardson.

31% from 3.... WWWHHHEEEEEEEEEEE!
He’s a career 35% shooter.

So he's getting worse. Sweet.
Maybe he’s just having a down year? Everyone hates the Richardson move because he had flames out the last two years and shot poorly from 3 too. The point here is White historically shoots better than what he has this year.

Yeah, entering this year Derrick White had a career 3-point% of .357 and Richardson had one of .358.  If the C's coaches fix White's shot like they fixed Richardson's, it'll be gravy, because White is better than Richardson in every other way.

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2022, 02:25:03 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
Wonder if Brad is about to extort some unprotected picks for Smart from the Wolves that made our picks unnecessary.

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2022, 02:26:07 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Yes please.

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2022, 02:27:19 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 503
After completing the deal with the Spurs, the Celtics remain engaged in Dennis Schroder trade discussions, per source.

Adam Himmelsbach

Worth noting that Pritchard would potentially fit well next to White, if our intent is to bring White off the bench.  A defender and distributor like White could free Payton up to just do what he does best - launch.

Richardson kind of filled that role, too, though.

White is a MUCH better player then Richardson.

31% from 3.... WWWHHHEEEEEEEEEEE!
He’s a career 35% shooter.

So he's getting worse. Sweet.
Maybe he’s just having a down year? Everyone hates the Richardson move because he had flames out the last two years and shot poorly from 3 too. The point here is White historically shoots better than what he has this year.

Yeah, entering this year Derrick White had a career 3-point% of .357 and Richardson had one of .358.  If the C's coaches fix White's shot like they fixed Richardson's, it'll be gravy, because White is better than Richardson in every other way.

And Smart.  White needs to play PG to give us the biggest advantage.  He's 6'5 and can play the 1/2.  I love White and he was my dream trade.  I want him to start though.  This is a lot to give up to get a 6th man.  I was ok with the pick but the swap is a lot.  Should have gotten Walker, Prior or Vassell as well in return.

« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2022, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Cool. Derrick White gives us 48 minutes of big PG play along with Smart. That makes sure this switching defense is functional and nobody can pick on a small PG. Plus, Smart and White can play alongside each other so they can each play 28-32mpg.

« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2022, 02:27:43 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242

Yes please.

I was being sarcastic. That obviously won’t happen. We just didn’t live in a reality where the Celtics make good trades.

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2022, 02:27:57 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998
No way we included the swap rights, too, right? That’s insanely risky, especially if no protections.

I’m going to give it 40 more minutes before fully judging this deal. Has to be another shoe to drop, as Smart, White, and Schroeder are just too much together.

I really want to see more detail on the picks.  It's top 4 protected this year.  I know it's unlikely, but what happens if it doesn't convey?  Is that when the 2028 swap kicks in?  The Pelicans and Blazers have a funky set of protections on the pick in the McCollum deal, so teams are starting to move away from picks that just roll protection from one year to the next.

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2022, 02:29:32 PM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
There has to be another trade. But yes, love this! I’m
Hoping there is another trade with the spurs..

Zach Collins into the tpe. Realistically, we need some depth at that position. Giving up Romeo def hurts our depth a bit unless coaches are seeing something in nesmith that we aren’t.

I’m hoping we bring in some wing/pf help.

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2022, 02:30:57 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Simply awful! Brad doesn't get it. You need elite 3 point shooters to win in the NBA. I haven't carefully compared the stat sheet - but from what I've read, White's 3pt stat is not impressive.

This is is the kind of trade that happens when you fall in love with a player. Brad and Ime, PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE never deal with the Spurs again! Their brain trust is far greater than your own.