Author Topic: Celts get Derrick White for Richardson, Langford, #1, 2028 pick swap  (Read 66287 times)

Re: Celts get Derrick White for Richardson, Langford, #1
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2022, 02:58:00 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
2 minutes ago
One NBA exec just told me he thinks there has to be more coming from the Celtics: "If what I'm hearing is right on this -- the players, the first round and the pick swap (2028) for White -- that's a lot. I want to see what's next before I tell you what I think."

There HAS to be...

I totally agree. I really like white, but two firsts is way too much.

Unless the pick swap is in the Celtics favor, as in, we have the rights to swap.

They didn't give up two firsts. They gave up one first round pick and a swap that is unlikely to be swapped, because the Spurs likely won't be better than the Cs then.

You’re right, it’s not two firsts. But my point was relative to the value given. I feel that it could be a lot.

I like your confidence but it’s hard for me to project anything into next week, let alone 6 years.

Look at the last 6 years for the Spurs. Their track record doesn't inspire confidence that they will anything more than a late lottery team.

So you expect them to tread water for 12 years then? Things can change fast.

Pop gonna be there in 6 years?

I’m not losing sleep over future picks right now. We need to improve the team around the Jays today. Honestly after the hoarding Ainge did and we still have people upset for losing a draft pic smh.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2022, 02:59:34 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 294
2 minutes ago
One NBA exec just told me he thinks there has to be more coming from the Celtics: "If what I'm hearing is right on this -- the players, the first round and the pick swap (2028) for White -- that's a lot. I want to see what's next before I tell you what I think."

There HAS to be...

Unless the pick swap is in the Celtics favor, as in, we have the rights to swap.

They didn't give up two firsts. They gave up one first round pick and a swap that is unlikely to be swapped, because the Spurs likely won't be better than the Cs then.

You’re right, it’s not two firsts. But my point was relative to the value given. I feel that it could be a lot.

I like your confidence but it’s hard for me to project anything into next week, let alone 6 years.

Look at the last 6 years for the Spurs. Their track record doesn't inspire confidence that they will anything more than a late lottery team.

I’m not losing sleep over future picks right now. We need to improve the team around the Jays today. Honestly after the hoarding Ainge did and we still have people upset for losing a draft pic smh.

Sure, take a gamble with a future swap. But do it for Derrick White in addition to another 1st and other assets?

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2022, 03:00:49 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

Sure, take a gamble with a future swap. But do it for Derrick White in addition to another 1st and other assets?

That assumes Langford was an asset.

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2022, 03:03:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

we'll see what happens with his career under Pop.  I suspect he's going to look really good by next year

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2022, 03:05:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

Yeah, you gamble like that for stars like James Harden or Damian Lillard.

You do not do that for role players like Derrick White.

« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2022, 03:06:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
This move is signalling the slow and steady rebuild / retool around the Jays.

I don't think slow & steady is going to get it done. They need some help. Serious help. Star help. Not role players and slow & steady.

« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2022, 03:06:54 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

He's closer to a small asset than any sort of albatross.

« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2022, 03:07:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233

I don't think slow & steady is going to get it done. They need some help. Serious help. Star help. Not role players and slow & steady.

The Jays are the stars now they need solid players around them.

« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2022, 03:08:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

He's closer to a small asset than any sort of albatross.

I don't disagree with you. I think he was neutral value here on his team-controlled contract. Josh Richardson was negative value last year and the Cs rehabbed his value. A late first round pick and a future swap isn't that much to give up if you believe in Derrick White. CBS and Ime apparently do.

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bol and Dozier gone for nothing

Romeo and Richardson gone for White

Schröder, Freedom, Bruno gone for Theis.

Seems the C's have 5 open roster spots.

Something else has to be happening.

« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2022, 03:11:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

The Jays are the stars now they need solid players around them.

So we can win 50 games + never compete for a Championship.

Yay, we are the new Horford era Atlanta Hawks!

-----------------

The Jays need more than role players.

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2022, 03:12:43 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
Bol and Dozier gone for nothing

Romeo and Richardson gone for White

Schröder, Freedom, Bruno gone for Theis.

Seems the C's have 5 open roster spots.

Something else has to be happening.

Move up Sam Hauser and get some guys in buy out?

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2022, 03:13:24 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

We can't afford slow and steady, honestly. Jaylen's free agency isn't that far off....
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2022, 03:13:54 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

We can't afford slow and steady, honestly. Jaylen's free agency isn't that far off....

It comes before that 2028 pick swap lol

« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2022, 03:14:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I am excited to see if Romeo can revive his career in San Antonio. It is shocking to me how much confidence has lost in his offensive game since entering the NBA. That was supposed to be the strong-point of his game. It would be great if he could get it together. I like the way he (used to) drives the ball.