Author Topic: Celts get Derrick White for Richardson, Langford, #1, 2028 pick swap  (Read 66295 times)

Re: Celts get Derrick White for Richardson, Langford, #1
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2022, 02:31:19 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I criticized CBS when he gave away our 2021 first round pick, and I’ll do it again now.

I hope that future pick swap isn’t true.

What I find dumb about CBS not valuing late first round picks is that we may have given away a great pick for Derrick White, whom the Spurs selected with the 29th pick in 2017.

If anything it’s a reflection of our poor G-League and youth development.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2022, 02:32:42 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
Why are people talking about Smart for Collins?  Is there any real talk about this happening or just wishful thinking?   

I think JRich was terrific this year -- hate to see him go.   Was hoping Derrick White could shoot the 3 but looks like he's been average generally and below average this year.  His assist #s are decent.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2022, 02:41:26 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 294
Can you put protections on a pick swap?

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2022, 02:42:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
2 minutes ago
One NBA exec just told me he thinks there has to be more coming from the Celtics: "If what I'm hearing is right on this -- the players, the first round and the pick swap (2028) for White -- that's a lot. I want to see what's next before I tell you what I think."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2022, 02:43:58 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
2 minutes ago
One NBA exec just told me he thinks there has to be more coming from the Celtics: "If what I'm hearing is right on this -- the players, the first round and the pick swap (2028) for White -- that's a lot. I want to see what's next before I tell you what I think."

There HAS to be...

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2022, 02:46:02 PM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

I totally agree. I really like white, but two firsts is way too much.

Unless the pick swap is in the Celtics favor, as in, we have the rights to swap.

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2022, 02:48:41 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

Unless the pick swap is in the Celtics favor, as in, we have the rights to swap.

They didn't give up two firsts. They gave up one first round pick and a swap that is unlikely to be swapped, because the Spurs likely won't be better than the Cs then.

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2022, 02:49:06 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 142
I expected a move like this for Brunson with Schroder in place of Richardson. I preferred to take the veteran-laden group into the playoffs; Josh knew his role, played it well, and is a great fit.

I haven’t seen much of White other than Celtics games. I’ll hold off judgment until I see his game highlights at least.

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2022, 02:49:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I see quite a few posts about D.White's so-so outside shooting but few about his so-so passing & playmaking skills. He is similarly limited as a playmaker / floor general / PG.

He is a combo guard more than a PG.

Similar to Smart in that respect and similar both as a playmaker and as an overall player. Smart more dynamic defensively while White is steadier on offense and makes fewer bad decisions (shot selection, turnovers). Overall though, quite similar.

I have to believe this move is more about defense than offense. That Stevens wants 48 minutes of big guard PG play to play the switching defense he wants. That Stevens does not value creation offensively from the PG position that much with this roster and feels we are better off with defensive role player guards than a playmaker or scorer at PG.

Or ... maybe the plan is to switch them to SG once a better PG is found and acquired. Say Lillard. Lillard at PG. Smart at SG. White as backup combo guard. Three guard rotation. With the Jays at the forward slots. That type of option is still in play given the versatility of Smart + White to play both guard spots.

But for now, it looks like the plan is for two defensive minded role player PGs with the Jays doing most of the playmaking and then the bigs and defensive PGs sharing some of the load. Decentralized playmaking. Like the Triangle offense used to create with Shaq + Kobe or MJ + Pippen.

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2022, 02:50:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Wow, that pick swap in 2028 could be bad.

Who knows what either team looks like 6 years from now.

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2022, 02:51:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Am I the only one here who thinks this is an overpay on our end...  ???
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2022, 02:52:37 PM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

They didn't give up two firsts. They gave up one first round pick and a swap that is unlikely to be swapped, because the Spurs likely won't be better than the Cs then.

You’re right, it’s not two firsts. But my point was relative to the value given. I feel that it could be a lot.

I like your confidence but it’s hard for me to project anything into next week, let alone 6 years.

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2022, 02:53:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just a gross overpayment.  feeling nauseous over this mismanagement of assets.  Brad got hustled

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2022, 02:53:58 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

You’re right, it’s not two firsts. But my point was relative to the value given. I feel that it could be a lot.

I like your confidence but it’s hard for me to project anything into next week, let alone 6 years.

Look at the last 6 years for the Spurs. Their track record doesn't inspire confidence that they will anything more than a late lottery team.

« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2022, 02:56:05 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
2 minutes ago

There HAS to be...

Look at the last 6 years for the Spurs. Their track record doesn't inspire confidence that they will anything more than a late lottery team.

So you expect them to tread water for 12 years then? Things can change fast. There's no guarantee Tatum or Brown are here in 2028. Scary thought. But realistic.