Author Topic: Would you have preferred Ainge gone in this direction during offseason?  (Read 15316 times)

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Instead of trading the 20th pick in the 2019 Draft for Carsen Edwards and a pick, Ainge drafts Brandon Clarke... also drafts Nassir Little instead of Grant Williams.

Ainge uses our MLE on bringing back Isaiah Thomas rather than Kanter, and then for rebounding sign Kenneth Faried on a Vet Min.

Theis
Hayward
Tatum
Brown
Walker

Smart
Thomas
Clarke
Faried
Williams
Little

Re: Would you have preferred Ainge gone in this direction during offseason?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 06:54:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I am glad Ainge did none of these things
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
While I'd love to see IT4 in green again, I don't think he'd be willing to come back to Boston in a bench role.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 07:15:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m happy with the team we have.

Langford is the question mark, but it’s impossible to assess him right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 07:20:31 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
no

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 07:22:42 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I’m very happy with the draft as is.  We got solid role-players on rookie deals for the next 4 years. Including a crazy sweet deal on Edwards.  A big problem last year was too many people who thought they were the man or should have been the man. 

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 09:11:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
a bit soon to be second guessing Danny this offseason, especially since the team is 10-1 right now. 

I think all things considered, Danny did about as well as could be expected with Kyrie and Al determined to leave town and having to give up Baynes to sign Kemba.  Edwards and Gwill look like they'll be good players with us for years.  Waters looks like a find and Tacko might turn out to be something.  only question is Romeo  but none of the suggestions offered by the OP addresses that question mark. 

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 11:20:30 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I was in favor of drafting Brandon Clarke instead of Langford - we have too many perimeter guys and need help inside. Danny (and Brad) almost have a man-love for these perimeter guys. You would think, given Ainge's experience playing with Bird, Max, McHale and Parish that he would understand (i know the game has changed and all but interior strength will always matter). Grant Williams is a keeper - the guy just knows how to play the game. I think Edwards, however, will help us as settles into the pro game and the distance of the NBA 3-line.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 11:49:32 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 562
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I was in favor of drafting Brandon Clarke instead of Langford - we have too many perimeter guys and need help inside. Danny (and Brad) almost have a man-love for these perimeter guys. You would think, given Ainge's experience playing with Bird, Max, McHale and Parish that he would understand (i know the game has changed and all but interior strength will always matter). Grant Williams is a keeper - the guy just knows how to play the game. I think Edwards, however, will help us as settles into the pro game and the distance of the NBA 3-line.
I preferred Goga Bitadze - I thought he was a high floor guy with a good ceiling as well. He's currently a quality backup centre for the Pacers with 6.6 PPG and 4.7 RPG in 18.1 MPG on 50/37.5/78.6 shooting, showing potential as a bruiser who can also stretch the floor.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 06:40:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
A different direction is not just swapping a rookie for another rookie.  A different direction is not signing Walker, trading Hayward, etc. and going all in around Tatum.  That is a different direction.  And it would be hard to argue going that route given the 10-1 record to start the season and just how good Tatum and Brown have played overall.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 10:35:26 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I preferred Goga Bitadze - I thought he was a high floor guy with a good ceiling as well. He's currently a quality backup centre for the Pacers with 6.6 PPG and 4.7 RPG in 18.1 MPG on 50/37.5/78.6 shooting, showing potential as a bruiser who can also stretch the floor.

At the moment we drafted Langford I was wanting Mfiondu Kabengeleor  or Goga Bitadze.  I wanted a physically dominant big man.  I am encouraged by  Rob Williams development this year but that doesn't stop me from hoping the suspension of James Wiseman has him drop enough for us to get him with the 7th or 8th pick, assuming the Memphis pick conveys.  I know pipe dream but unrealistic expectations aside I like how the draft and off season worked out.   Well Kanter is a disappointment so far but he looked like a really good choice give the circumstances and what we paid him. 

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 10:38:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
They’re 10-1.

Perfectly happy with what has transpired so far.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 11:07:45 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Agreed! I don't understand the Romeo Langord draft pick. Of course, I never understand alot of Ainge's draft picks, so this is nothing different.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
A different direction is not just swapping a rookie for another rookie.  A different direction is not signing Walker, trading Hayward, etc. and going all in around Tatum.  That is a different direction.  And it would be hard to argue going that route given the 10-1 record to start the season and just how good Tatum and Brown have played overall.

A bit extreme. Tatum isn't ready to have a team built around him.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 11:10:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Instead of trading the 20th pick in the 2019 Draft for Carsen Edwards and a pick, Ainge drafts Brandon Clarke... also drafts Nassir Little instead of Grant Williams.

Ainge uses our MLE on bringing back Isaiah Thomas rather than Kanter, and then for rebounding sign Kenneth Faried on a Vet Min.

Theis
Hayward
Tatum
Brown
Walker

Smart
Thomas
Clarke
Faried
Williams
Little

Only difference is I would've drafted someone other than Langford. Everything else was fine in my opinion.