Author Topic: Would you have preferred Ainge gone in this direction during offseason?  (Read 15325 times)

Re: Would you have preferred Ainge gone in this direction during offseason?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 01:41:15 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

Brogdon has his FTr up to 25.7% this year (his career best) which isn't surprising given his changed role.  Kemba is right at his career average of 28.8%.  So yeah, Kemba gets to the line more often but that is much more a function of him just getting a lot more shots.  Brogdon is without question a better FT shooter than Walker.  It isn't really all that close.  And Brogdon is quite simply a better shooter from virtually every where.  Even this year when his 3 point shooting is down, his TS% is still 57.4% which is a higher than Walker's 56.3%.  Their USG is nearly the same so they have the overall finishes in the same neighborhood.  Brogdon is a better rebounder and assister, by a pretty wide margin.  Walker takes better care of the ball in addition to getting to the line more frequently (Walker also shoots a much higher rate of 3 pointers), but Brogdon overall has had the better year and he is 12 million dollars cheaper.  You can do a lot for 12 million dollars.  Brogdon is also 3 years younger and fits a lot better timeline wise with Tatum and Brown.

Lots of stuff I disagree with here. First, "timeline" changes quite a bit if there are injury concerns. Brogdon has concerns. I would guess Walker will be healthier and more effective over the next four years than Brogdon.

FTR matters. Brogdon has been good this year, but 13 games is way too small of a sample size to compare to Walker's career FTR.

As others have argued as well, Walker has never played with a player as good as Giannis, or Middleton. Lamb was the second best player for the Hornets last year, and he is probably the fourth best player for the Pacers this year (and will be the sixth when Oladipo and Turner return). That's a direct correlation to the talent level each has been able to play with.

Walker did play with an effective Al Jefferson for one year, but you could argue that Sabonis is as effective as Jefferson so far this year. Most of Walker's stats come from him creating his own offense for the team. Brogdon has never had to face that kind of pressure.

It's just not a comparison that needs to be made. Underrating our all-star point guard by comparing him to a guy with a small sample size is ludicrous. I would seriously wonder if every GM in the league would take Walker over Brogdon with their same salaries, including Indiana.

Give me Kemba all day every day over Brogdon.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28133150/why-kemba-walker-made-happy-celtics-buzzword

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we nailed our draft. G Will and Edwards have starter potential and Langford might have a crazy high ceiling. Clarke looks good but he's getting a lot of minutes on a bad team.

Holy Homerisms

G, Will has starter potential?   That made my day it is so funny, thanks for the laugh.   I think you had some bad Coffee Beans, my friend.

What NBA talent has he demonstrated and please don't say he can guard C's because that is the Celtics propaganda line.   I don't see much he does other than some defense at the NBA starter level.   Rebounding nope,  passing incomplete, shooting heck no!   He is a smart guy and I think he will figure it out but right now he is little more than the second coming of Chuck Hayes a 6-6 guy is strong enough to play down low but is not big enough to guard true bigs and lack offense.

I like Edwards and I see him more as a spark plug off the bench than a starter.   But G. Will that is absurd given what he has shown thus far.

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2019, 09:09:07 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 628
I think we nailed our draft. G Will and Edwards have starter potential and Langford might have a crazy high ceiling. Clarke looks good but he's getting a lot of minutes on a bad team.

Holy Homerisms

G, Will has starter potential?   That made my day it is so funny, thanks for the laugh.   I think you had some bad Coffee Beans, my friend.

What NBA talent has he demonstrated and please don't say he can guard C's because that is the Celtics propaganda line.   I don't see much he does other than some defense at the NBA starter level.   Rebounding nope,  passing incomplete, shooting heck no!   He is a smart guy and I think he will figure it out but right now he is little more than the second coming of Chuck Hayes a 6-6 guy is strong enough to play down low but is not big enough to guard true bigs and lack offense.

I like Edwards and I see him more as a spark plug off the bench than a starter.   But G. Will that is absurd given what he has shown thus far.

Yeah, I kinda think that literally everyone who makes it to an NBA roster has starter potential. IT was taken last in the draft...

I take issue with Romeo having a "crazy" high ceiling. He has a good ceiling, but not crazy high. That phrase should be reserved for Giannis, AD, LeBron etc.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2019, 12:01:34 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Holy Homerisms

Yeah, I kinda think that literally everyone who makes it to an NBA roster has starter potential. IT was taken last in the draft...

I take issue with Romeo having a "crazy" high ceiling. He has a good ceiling, but not crazy high. That phrase should be reserved for Giannis, AD, LeBron etc.

I agree.

If it's true that Langford's ceiling is "crazy high", he would've gone higher in the lottery.

Ainge could've done better.

Even Alexander-Walker was rated higher than Romeo by some analysts.

Goga or Brandon Clarke  would also have been good picks at #14.

It's not that Langford is not a good player, it's about using the pick wisely.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:16:51 AM by Fierce1 »

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2019, 07:21:19 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 167
I’m happy with the team we have.

Langford is the question mark, but it’s impossible to assess him right now.

I think Langford will be fine.  He missed most of camp due to his college injury, now he's rehabbing a sprained ankle.  He is still only 20 and was a 5 star recruit out of HS.  Let's give him a bit, look what he did in college, with a hand injury:  16.5/5.4 PPG/RPG

On a side note, could he have drafted Romeo with the intent of trying to get AD with Tatum?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

Brogdon has his FTr up to 25.7% this year (his career best) which isn't surprising given his changed role.  Kemba is right at his career average of 28.8%.  So yeah, Kemba gets to the line more often but that is much more a function of him just getting a lot more shots.  Brogdon is without question a better FT shooter than Walker.  It isn't really all that close.  And Brogdon is quite simply a better shooter from virtually every where.  Even this year when his 3 point shooting is down, his TS% is still 57.4% which is a higher than Walker's 56.3%.  Their USG is nearly the same so they have the overall finishes in the same neighborhood.  Brogdon is a better rebounder and assister, by a pretty wide margin.  Walker takes better care of the ball in addition to getting to the line more frequently (Walker also shoots a much higher rate of 3 pointers), but Brogdon overall has had the better year and he is 12 million dollars cheaper.  You can do a lot for 12 million dollars.  Brogdon is also 3 years younger and fits a lot better timeline wise with Tatum and Brown.

Lots of stuff I disagree with here. First, "timeline" changes quite a bit if there are injury concerns. Brogdon has concerns. I would guess Walker will be healthier and more effective over the next four years than Brogdon.

FTR matters. Brogdon has been good this year, but 13 games is way too small of a sample size to compare to Walker's career FTR.

As others have argued as well, Walker has never played with a player as good as Giannis, or Middleton. Lamb was the second best player for the Hornets last year, and he is probably the fourth best player for the Pacers this year (and will be the sixth when Oladipo and Turner return). That's a direct correlation to the talent level each has been able to play with.

Walker did play with an effective Al Jefferson for one year, but you could argue that Sabonis is as effective as Jefferson so far this year. Most of Walker's stats come from him creating his own offense for the team. Brogdon has never had to face that kind of pressure.

It's just not a comparison that needs to be made. Underrating our all-star point guard by comparing him to a guy with a small sample size is ludicrous. I would seriously wonder if every GM in the league would take Walker over Brogdon with their same salaries, including Indiana.
13 games of FTr, not 13 games to reach the conclusion that Brogdon is a better shooter from virtually every where than Walker is.  Pretty much every single year Brogdon has been in the league he has been a better foul shooter, better free throw shooter, with a higher TS% than Walker.  Brogdon is taking more shots and getting more assists this year, but he has been very good since a rookie and has shown reasonable improvement every year.  For example, his per 36 scoring numbers are 13.9 to 15.7 to 19.7 to 21.9, but that is as a much a function of increasing his shots as anything 8.5 to 10.5 to 11.7 to 14.7. 

Boston will go as far as Tatum will take them.  If, like me, you don't think Tatum will be ready for another couple of seasons, then maximizing his window makes more sense.  I'd rather have the younger player that is still improving that is significantly cheaper as I believe that better maximizes Boston's chance of actually winning a championship.  To me Brogdon at 29 is the better guy to have than Walker at 32.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I’m happy with the team we have.

Langford is the question mark, but it’s impossible to assess him right now.

I think Langford will be fine.  He missed most of camp due to his college injury, now he's rehabbing a sprained ankle.  He is still only 20 and was a 5 star recruit out of HS.  Let's give him a bit, look what he did in college, with a hand injury:  16.5/5.4 PPG/RPG

On a side note, could he have drafted Romeo with the intent of trying to get AD with Tatum?

Romeo's development path seems to be echoing that of Avery Bradley.   Avery was injured during pre-draft workouts, missed summer & camp and then had to do time with the Red Claws and eventually got only a tiny bit of crunch time minutes during his rookie year.    In addition to the injuries messing up his schedule, like Romeo he was also very young, coming off a 1-and-done season that really wasn't the best prep for his eventual role in the NBA.

I remember folks on this board just trashing Avery relentlessly as a "bust" that first year and all the way into midway through his 2nd year ... until suddenly he got minutes when Ray Allen got injured.   Then they were quiet.

People need to be patient.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2019, 10:26:38 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

13 games of FTr, not 13 games to reach the conclusion that Brogdon is a better shooter from virtually every where than Walker is.  Pretty much every single year Brogdon has been in the league he has been a better foul shooter, better free throw shooter, with a higher TS% than Walker.  Brogdon is taking more shots and getting more assists this year, but he has been very good since a rookie and has shown reasonable improvement every year.  For example, his per 36 scoring numbers are 13.9 to 15.7 to 19.7 to 21.9, but that is as a much a function of increasing his shots as anything 8.5 to 10.5 to 11.7 to 14.7. 

Boston will go as far as Tatum will take them.  If, like me, you don't think Tatum will be ready for another couple of seasons, then maximizing his window makes more sense.  I'd rather have the younger player that is still improving that is significantly cheaper as I believe that better maximizes Boston's chance of actually winning a championship.  To me Brogdon at 29 is the better guy to have than Walker at 32.

I'm sorry, Moranis.  But your assertion in bold is just silly when you realize that when you _combine_ "every single season" of free throw attempts by Brogdon, that the total is less than any one of several of Kemba's actual "single seasons".

You wording is such as to try to imply the weight of a large sample size.  But it isn't.

Ultimately, this is a dumb side track. Brogdon is an excellent shooter.  No one is arguing that.  But he's a fundamentally different kind of offensive player than Kemba and so far in his career has not been responsible for anywhere near the same weight and breadth of offense.  Any comparison needs to keep that in mind.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2019, 12:15:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm sorry, Moranis.  But your assertion in bold is just silly when you realize that when you _combine_ "every single season" of free throw attempts by Brogdon, that the total is less than any one of several of Kemba's actual "single seasons".

You wording is such as to try to imply the weight of a large sample size.  But it isn't.

Ultimately, this is a dumb side track. Brogdon is an excellent shooter.  No one is arguing that.  But he's a fundamentally different kind of offensive player than Kemba and so far in his career has not been responsible for anywhere near the same weight and breadth of offense.  Any comparison needs to keep that in mind.
Walker generates more foul shots (so he is better at that), no one would argue that, but Brogdon shoots a higher percentage (so you know he is the better shooter), which I can't believe anyone would argue either since both of them are statistically there for the world to see. 

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2019, 12:51:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Listen we all know the higher percentage means you're a better shooter.

That's why we all acknowledge that Jarrett Allen, Rudy Gobert, and Richaun Holmes are the best shooters in the league. I can't believe anyone would argue since its all there for the world to statistically see.

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Holy Homerisms

I agree.

If it's true that Langford's ceiling is "crazy high", he would've gone higher in the lottery.

Ainge could've done better.

Even Alexander-Walker was rated higher than Romeo by some analysts.

Goga or Brandon Clarke  would also have been good picks at #14.

It's not that Langford is not a good player, it's about using the pick wisely.
I agree with all! Typical Ainge drafting in the middle of the draft which we should all know by now that he sucks at it. It maddens me he doesn’t try to trade these picks to get better value out of them
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:15:54 PM by NKY fan »

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That's why we all acknowledge that Jarrett Allen, Rudy Gobert, and Richaun Holmes are the best shooters in the league. I can't believe anyone would argue since its all there for the world to statistically see.
Lol...well played. TP.

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't get the criticism of the Langford pick. He was a top 5 rated high school prospect, top 3 in some rankings. He messed up his shooting hand but played through it in his year at Indiana which hurt his outside shooting but also hurt his ranking as a prospect.

Once Langford is healthy and has his ability to shoot better because of a healthy hand, he might be a top 5 player coming out of this draft. Danny has already said publicly he sees Romeo as a 20 PPG player. Danny never said that about Brown who he took at #3. Or Smart who he took at #6. Ainge has only been this high on a player's offensive game when he talked about Tatum that first summer. That's it.

Given every single poster here has seen almost no video of Romeo playing totally healthy since being drafted, I don't understand how people can be so definitive about their opinions about Langford.

There's tons of evidence of players missing tons or all of their first year due to injury that go on to be great players all the way up to superstar players. Danny is very high on his offensive abilities, like few before him. That's enough for me to be patient with him.

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I don't get the criticism of the Langford pick. He was a top 5 rated high school prospect, top 3 in some rankings. He messed up his shooting hand but played through it in his year at Indiana which hurt his outside shooting but also hurt his ranking as a prospect.

Once Langford is healthy and has his ability to shoot better because of a healthy hand, he might be a top 5 player coming out of this draft. Danny has already said publicly he sees Romeo as a 20 PPG player. Danny never said that about Brown who he took at #3. Or Smart who he took at #6. Ainge has only been this high on a player's offensive game when he talked about Tatum that first summer. That's it.

Given every single poster here has seen almost no video of Romeo playing totally healthy since being drafted, I don't understand how people can be so definitive about their opinions about Langford.

There's tons of evidence of players missing tons or all of their first year due to injury that go on to be great players all the way up to superstar players. Danny is very high on his offensive abilities, like few before him. That's enough for me to be patient with him.
I haven't  watched him enough to make an opinion...although the Evan Turner comparisons scare me. I hope he ends up being an outstanding player.

Having said that, he'd be the 1st player I'd offer in a trade for a legit big man.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

ah yes because that is the same thing.