Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 347102 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #1965 on: February 07, 2019, 10:14:32 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I just posted on the other Davis thread, and it said "only 80 characters." Whatever that means.

More fake news this morning from NY's Stein and Rotoworld, saying Davis won't sign extension in Boston.

Typical ploy, used previously for Leonard and George. The big markets are relentless when it comes to stars, but the fact is a player's experience with a team for a season will determine what he does in free agency. If he wins a championship or comes close, he will probably stay. George stayed in OKC because he liked it.

If Davis winds up in Boston, will all those championships (Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots) mean something? Right now, he's listening to his agent, who wants him in LA. Ainge figures he might change his mind after a year in Boston--and Lebron a year older.

« Reply #1966 on: February 07, 2019, 10:34:12 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I just posted on the other Davis thread, and it said "only 80 characters." Whatever that means.

More fake news this morning from NY's Stein and Rotoworld, saying Davis won't sign extension in Boston.

Typical ploy, used previously for Leonard and George. The big markets are relentless when it comes to stars, but the fact is a player's experience with a team for a season will determine what he does in free agency. If he wins a championship or comes close, he will probably stay. George stayed in OKC because he liked it.

If Davis winds up in Boston, will all those championships (Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots) mean something? Right now, he's listening to his agent, who wants him in LA. Ainge figures he might change his mind after a year in Boston--and Lebron a year older.

We would also be able to pay him the most. 

« Reply #1967 on: February 07, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Question: If we trade for Davis this summer, are we going to be spending a year listening to rumors, conjecture, etc. in the media and from his agent (I consider them one and the same.) about what he's going to do in the summer of 2020? That just can't be good for team morale and I don't want it dominating the entire season.

Mike

Great question.

« Reply #1968 on: February 07, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Question: If we trade for Davis this summer, are we going to be spending a year listening to rumors, conjecture, etc. in the media and from his agent (I consider them one and the same.) about what he's going to do in the summer of 2020? That just can't be good for team morale and I don't want it dominating the entire season.

Mike

Great question.

Yes, that would be annoying.

On the other hand, we'd have two top 10 players on our team so ... first world problems.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1969 on: February 07, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Mike

Great question.

Yeah it's a good question, but I'm not 100% that it's one that will ultimately enter the equation of the decision mainly because of Kyrie.

If we win the championship this year with this core, do we still trade for AD?  That's a valid Q.  If we make the finals it could be a Q, but we likely make the trade, to improve by adding a top 5 player to a top 10 player and 2 former all stars who we hope can shine at crunch time.

But if we lose in the ECF or sooner?  If we can get AD, we might well need to make the trade in order to get Kyrie to sign a 4-5 year deal.

IMO it's imperative we sign him almost no matter what.  I know we could lose AD, but choosing between Option A of keeping Tatum, Smart and 2-3 picks or Option B of keeping Kyrie and getting Davis and a good shot to keep him long term, IMO it's clearly Option B.  I know if Kyrie walks and we don't get AD it's almost as if we couldn't deal IT before he couldn't play anymore, but now that we have Kyrie and we didn't get to draft MPJ / Knox / a Bridges Bro it's not acceptable to get back on that trajectory.  If choosing between no top 10 players or 2 top 10 players, you have to choose the 2 and deal with the circus.

Ultimately, if AD re-signs we have a 4+ year window to be a top 2 contender, and you have to trust his BFF Kyrie to make it happen.

PG: Irving
SG: Smart OR Brown (think it's realistic atm that we can keep one and I'm not even sure which I'd prefer)
SF: Hayward (somewhere between better-than-today Hayward, and Utah Hayward)
PF: AD
C:  Horford

Add: Baynes, *maybe* re-up 1 of Morris / Theis, keep the LAC pick (& get 2 late 1sts next year, ours + LAC for depth, or LAC pick likely nets us 2 high to mid 2nds for depth- if 1 pans out we'd still shoot for 2 rotation guys between those + '20 Celtics pick), + vet min FAs.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:07:09 AM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #1970 on: February 07, 2019, 11:07:39 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Would it make sense for Kyrie to sign for 1 plus 1 players option years? This way he will become eligible in 2020 for the 35% super max ...
How would we feel if that happened ? I bet we still trade for Davis

« Reply #1971 on: February 07, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Rumored Celtics "offer" on twitter was Tatum, Smart, Williams, Horford and 3 1st round picks.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1972 on: February 07, 2019, 11:31:26 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Rumored Celtics "offer" on twitter was Tatum, Smart, Williams, Horford and 3 1st round picks.

Horford would just opt out and blow the trade up.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #1973 on: February 07, 2019, 11:33:17 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC

No thank you.

« Reply #1974 on: February 07, 2019, 11:35:23 AM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599

Would have to be something else on the Pelicans side.

That's $52m in outgoing salaries for Boston.

Would C's get Jrue too?  Now that would be interesting.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1975 on: February 07, 2019, 11:37:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Maybe C's bring back Jrue too?  Now that would be interesting.

My guess is New Orleans would want to send us some bad salary e.g. Solomon Hill.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1976 on: February 07, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Maybe C's bring back Jrue too?  Now that would be interesting.

I don't believe this is real because there's no guarantee Al opts in this offseason, but we'd probably be taking back Solomon Hill's contract.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #1977 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:14 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Zero percent chance Ainge offered that, even if he was making specific offers (which he isn't).

« Reply #1978 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'd hate to see Horford go, but if they could get AD without giving up Jaylen or Smart, that'd be ideal.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1979 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

Would C's get Jrue too?  Now that would be interesting.

was going to say the same thing...not sure bout holiday...maybe get moore and randle