Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 347798 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #1935 on: February 06, 2019, 11:17:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I thought this tweet from Stein was interesting too.

Makes pursuing Davis that much riskier (not to say Danny still wouldn't do it)

Marc Stein

Verified account

@TheSteinLine
Following Following @TheSteinLine
More
And whether he is traded before Thursday's 3 PM trade deadline or in the offseason, league sources say, Davis intends to play out the remainder of his current contract and become a free agent in 2020 no matter where he lands.

A lot of people on here seem to be completely convinced that any non-positive Boston story is completely made up by Rich Paul, and that once we get past the trade deadline that the whole narrative will shift and AD will embrace being a Celtic.  I am just not convinced that is going to happen.  You don't allow your agent to release all the stuff that he did, allow your dad to release stuff about the C's, not include the C's on a short list if you really want to end up in Boston. 

Unless there have been a ton of conversations between Davis' camp and the C's that indicate a completely different hidden approach (I don't see how that could happen without some leaks) why would we think that AD is going to sign here long term?

It's pretty clear he doesn't really want to be in Boston, he really wants to be in LA. The question is if he'll like Boston, and the extra $ we can offer, once he gets here. It's claiming he absolutely wouldn't that's the bluff, not saying he would rather be in LA, NY or wherever.

« Reply #1936 on: February 06, 2019, 11:26:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2993

Marc Stein

Verified account

@TheSteinLine
More
And whether he is traded before Thursday's 3 PM trade deadline or in the offseason, league sources say, Davis intends to play out the remainder of his current contract and become a free agent in 2020 no matter where he lands.

A lot of people on here seem to be completely convinced that any non-positive Boston story is completely made up by Rich Paul, and that once we get past the trade deadline that the whole narrative will shift and AD will embrace being a Celtic.  I am just not convinced that is going to happen.  You don't allow your agent to release all the stuff that he did, allow your dad to release stuff about the C's, not include the C's on a short list if you really want to end up in Boston. 

Unless there have been a ton of conversations between Davis' camp and the C's that indicate a completely different hidden approach (I don't see how that could happen without some leaks) why would we think that AD is going to sign here long term?

It's pretty clear he doesn't really want to be in Boston, he really wants to be in LA. The question is if he'll like Boston, and the extra $ we can offer, once he gets here. It's claiming he absolutely wouldn't that's the bluff, not saying he would rather be in LA, NY or wherever.

Yep, pretty much this. I don't think anyone thinks that he doesn't want to be in LA. I'm sure he's being pressured by Klutch a lot and would like to play with Lebron. Further, LA offers him something we can't - the chance to get out of NOLA and play competitive basketball THIS season, albeit with no chance at a title this season. I'm sure that he would like to be traded there now as opposed to having to wait out this season likely not playing for NOLA the rest of the season.

As FWF states, it's the "absolute" part that's the bluff. They've given no logical reason to why he would be categorically against playing in Boston, with the only reason ever being floated that they're unsure of Kyrie's long-term plans, which pretty much everyone agrees would be solidified by trading for AD this summer. Danny seems to feel confident that, similar to PG in OKC, our culture, team, and winning ways would convince AD to re-sign long-term.

There's just no logical reason to believe that AD would categorically refuse to re-sign here from the get-go in favor of pairing up with a 36 year old Lebron in LA in 2020.

« Reply #1937 on: February 06, 2019, 11:39:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Marc Stein

Verified account

@TheSteinLine
More

How is it riskier? Him becoming a free agent in 2020 was always the most likely and logical scenario.

I agree. My only fear would be him wanting to play elsewhere when he hits free agency but as others have mentioned, playing  in Boston for a year plus Boston being able to offer him more will keep him here.

« Reply #1938 on: February 06, 2019, 11:40:38 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1519

Marc Stein

Verified account

@TheSteinLine
More

There's just no logical reason to believe that AD would categorically refuse to re-sign here from the get-go in favor of pairing up with a 36 year old Lebron in LA in 2020.

Well the only logical reason would be that he just doesn't want to play here in Boston for whatever personal reason he has.  Maybe he hates the winter, maybe he doesn't like Danny, it really doesn't even matter.

I appreciate the elaboration from both you and fairweather, but if I am Danny nothing really matters unless Davis promises to resign here.  If it was me I wouldn't push all my cihps to the center of the table on a 'chance' that Davis decides that he likes Boston after he gets here.  I know he is a great player, but PG13 in OKC aside, it seems a really risky move.

I like watching AD play, he would be great in Boston with Kyrie, but I just wish he WANTED to be here.

« Reply #1939 on: February 06, 2019, 11:44:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Marc Stein

Verified account

@TheSteinLine
More

Agree with others in that it's nothing more than a ploy. Why would his dad be so worked up about the Celts trading Isaiah?
Also, his "list of preferred teams" was another ploy to get the Pelicans to panic and trade him asap for the best package (thinking it would be the Lakers package.)

I don't believe any of it. This was a scheme by Davis, Lebron and Rich Paul and it's backfired.

If Davis is traded to Boston this summer with Kyrie in tow and they dominate the East, watch Davis' stance change (plus Boston could offer him more money in free agency.)

« Reply #1940 on: February 06, 2019, 11:48:30 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I guess for only 50k,  the risk of this whole made up drama is worth it for team AD.

« Reply #1941 on: February 07, 2019, 12:14:01 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
I think the Knicks have always had potential to be a real threat to Boston in a Davis trade.  They have that super high draft pick, Knox, Robinson, Ntkilina, along with Kanter's big expiring contract (and they added Smith and some other big expiring contracts).  Even if they made the trade right now that pick is still going to be very good, the Knicks can take some salary (like Hill) and give them some young depth (and still keep the Knicks with 1 max slot in the summer).  That trade would also allow the Pelicans to truly tank by moving Holiday (whereas something like the Lakers package won't let the Pelicans truly tank). 

If the Pelicans do wait and the Knicks end up with 1 (or maybe even 2), I think Davis ends up in NY and not Boston as I think the Pelicans would rather have Zion (or Barrett) and a future Dallas pick (or 2) than Tatum, Sacto,and Memphis

No doubt NY has always been a threat to trade for him this summer. But I think Celtics can still beat any New York deal sans Porzingis now, as it seems that NOLA is pretty obsessed with Tatum (for good reason). And luckily, the new lottery odds make it more likely than not that NY does not get a top 1 or 2 pick, so I don't think this will really end up being all that close. Further, I still don't think NBA teams are as high on Zion as fans are. He's just not a natural fit in the NBA and doesn't have the kind of skillset that lends itself well to superstardom.

The real nonsense part about this is all the "leaks" coming out about AD's "preferred" destinations, that are seemingly as fluid as the wind and all work in some way to get him out of NOLA by tomorrow.
I would strongly disagree with the idea that NBA teams arent high on Zion. From what I've heard/read most NBA talent evaluators seem to consider him a borderline generational talent, Sam Vecenie on his podcast said he would value Zion higher than Tatum in a potential AD trde. And we know what NBA front office types think about him because there are 4 teams right now doing their very best to be terrible because of him. He is doing to college basketball what Donccic did to his league, breaking it. His combination of strength (285Lbs) and elite athleticism is unheard of.

« Reply #1942 on: February 07, 2019, 12:20:50 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not sure if this was already posted, but this is fun.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819707-windhorst-pelicans-sabotaged-lakers-on-anthony-davis-trade-as-tampering-payback?fbclid=IwAR2Ov8UPasmEaeaJ2dHEJ4E2BaoFQN8ppBQuiB7cuVBv9DzJKgTjhMM65qM

Windhorst: Pelicans Sabotaged Lakers on Anthony Davis Trade as Tampering Payback
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1943 on: February 07, 2019, 12:25:23 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
To me its seems obvious Davis would rather by in LA, but I still think you take the risk and trade for him. Its one thing to say he wants to be there, but if he gets here and plays with one of his best friend in Irving making a deep playoff run and can make more money with us than anyone else I really don't see him leaving our top notch organization for a clown show like LA or NY. Every player who gets here seems too like playing here. Is a 36 year old Lebron james really that appelaing in 2020?

As for what we give up, it seems like its gonna have to be Tatum. NOP is waiting because they think they can get him, it gets to the offseason i don't see hw they do a deal with somebody without getting that teams best young asset. From a pure PR perspetive that would be a bad look. Also given the loss of value of our Kings pick, the potential loss of the LAC pick this year, ect, its hard to see us not surrending Tatum. But myabe that means if we offer the one premium asset we can hold onto a pick or two for future use. If we d have to surrender Tatum my priority would be holding onto Brown/Smart, the argument being "We are giving you one of the best young assets in the league, and maybe the bets available draft pick in the league (MEM). For that you get less quantity." Of course the deal without Smarts money is hard to work out, but maybe it involves flipping Horford/Hayward.

Getting Davis I think insure Kyrie as well. So in that regard if Tatum is the price, probably have to risk it.

« Reply #1944 on: February 07, 2019, 12:35:30 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1519
Not sure if this was already posted, but this is fun.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819707-windhorst-pelicans-sabotaged-lakers-on-anthony-davis-trade-as-tampering-payback?fbclid=IwAR2Ov8UPasmEaeaJ2dHEJ4E2BaoFQN8ppBQuiB7cuVBv9DzJKgTjhMM65qM

Windhorst: Pelicans Sabotaged Lakers on Anthony Davis Trade as Tampering Payback

man that is funny if true.  I mean really funny.

« Reply #1945 on: February 07, 2019, 12:48:15 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Can we expect any mocking chants this game? Pacer fans had some hilarious chants mocking the Lakers.

I'm thinking one of these:
"tampering cheaters, cha cha cha Cha cha "

""we're getting Davis, cha cha cha cha cha"

"we want Davis, cha cha cha cha cha cha"

Hope our young guys don't get mad lol

« Reply #1946 on: February 07, 2019, 12:55:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
Can we expect any mocking chants this game? Pacer fans had some hilarious chants mocking the Lakers.

I'm thinking one of these:
"tampering cheaters, cha cha cha Cha cha "

""we're getting Davis, cha cha cha cha cha"

"we want Davis, cha cha cha cha cha cha"

Hope our young guys don't get mad lol

hey show some respect for Couch Sports n La Queen

« Reply #1947 on: February 07, 2019, 02:11:55 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 744
According to a source Pelicans Coaching Staff along with others in The Pelicans Organization are pushing GM Dell Demps to accept The Lakers offer. Coaching staff likes what it sees in Lonzo Ball & Brandon Ingram.

« Reply #1948 on: February 07, 2019, 02:40:38 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
According to a source Pelicans Coaching Staff along with others in The Pelicans Organization are pushing GM Dell Demps to accept The Lakers offer. Coaching staff likes what it sees in Lonzo Ball & Brandon Ingram.
where did you get this from?

I could only find that quote from this poser on twitter: https://twitter.com/igotsources/status/1093398810238148611?s=21 I dont think this is  legit

« Reply #1949 on: February 07, 2019, 03:19:03 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Marc Stein

Verified account

@TheSteinLine
More

Yep, pretty much this. I don't think anyone thinks that he doesn't want to be in LA. I'm sure he's being pressured by Klutch a lot and would like to play with Lebron. Further, LA offers him something we can't - the chance to get out of NOLA and play competitive basketball THIS season, albeit with no chance at a title this season. I'm sure that he would like to be traded there now as opposed to having to wait out this season likely not playing for NOLA the rest of the season.

As FWF states, it's the "absolute" part that's the bluff. They've given no logical reason to why he would be categorically against playing in Boston, with the only reason ever being floated that they're unsure of Kyrie's long-term plans, which pretty much everyone agrees would be solidified by trading for AD this summer. Danny seems to feel confident that, similar to PG in OKC, our culture, team, and winning ways would convince AD to re-sign long-term.

I agree with this entirely. The most crucial part is joining James at age 36 which would be career suicide if Davis is interested in championships. I understand that AD wants to play meaningful basketball this year and the only way to do this was to trash and vilify Boston. It just hasn't worked,yet.