Author Topic: Happy trails to Hinkie's Power.  (Read 75802 times)

Re: Happy trails to Hinkie's Power.
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 01:58:36 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think Ainge would give up a fair amount for Okafor. MAYBE even the Brooklyn pick of there wasn't much else involved.

LarBird, I have to give you credit for being willing to die on the sword. You've defended Hinkie and the Sixers "plan" and have been trumpeting the immense value of their prospects for years, and even as it's coming to a crashing, poetic end that involves the league stepping in and handing them a competent GM to save face, your willing to defend the hidden brilliance of Hinkie's plan. Your a man who sticks to his convictions brotha, and I can respect that.

Wait... is it coming to an end?  Did I miss something?  Is the league stripping them away of their #1 projected pick, their potential top 4 pick from the Lakers, Dario Saric's rights, Nerlens Noel, Okafor, Embiid and the several other 1st rounders/assets they have?  Are they forbidden from using their 60 million in cap space this summer?

I'm happy to be the lone voice of reason in regards to Philly.  I'm not wrong.  That team is stacked with assets.   It wouldnt' be hard to turn it into a competent team.  You people can call me delusional all you want.  It doesn't make me any less right. 

And no, I don't buy the idea that the rest of the league would lose interest in two of the best prospects in the NBA simply because they spent 12-24 months wearing Philly jerseys.   Noel and Okafor are big time prospects.  Our best asset is Marcus Smart.  One of those Philly assets clearly more valuable than Smart... the other arguably is more valuable as well.  Is what it is.    And their best pick is more valuable than our Brooklyn pick.   Plus they have a handful of other young assets that hold value in the league.  To suggest that this is "over" is to admit not understanding the situation.

Well obviously the careers of the prospects and how they effect the Philly franchise aren't over. And I never said their prospects and assets weren't good. A good GM could certainly turn that pile of assets into a competent team.

But Hinkie's master "plan" of trading away any good players that aren't stars because they could help them win to many games, signing D-League level prospects to fill out an entire roster next to their high draft picks and hardly spending enough money to hot the salary floor in an effort to be as bad as possible for multiple years in a row has really failed to bear any of it's magic fruit (I.E. A LeBron James or Anthony Davis level player). Embiid may never play a great stretch of NBA minutes at this point. Okafor is talented but flawed, certainly not a Davis level prospect and CLEARLY has zero Interest in being the man in that city. He's miserable there. Saric still hasn't come because he doesn't want to play for less money than he would make Europe on that joke of a team. Noel is a pretty good player, maybe even a stud defensively but he's a pretty poor offensive player who's losing value playing next to Okafor. None of that team fits together. They have no culture, no collective mindset. Why would they when the team they play for is purposely surrounding you with minor league talent in an effort to lose as many games as possible.

TJ McConnell is playing PG on that team and they didn't make a play for any half decent free agent or parlay any of their future assets into a young guard they can help build around. They traded away the reigning ROY PG for a future pick (it may be a good one, but understates the problem with what's going on there). Hinkie has made some nice trades (even though he screwed over NO in the Holiday deal) and has collected a few good assets, sure. But they've failed miserably at every other aspect of building a team, and have gone about this tank job so blatantly and persistently that it was making Philly basketball an absolute joke. No star would sign off on a trade there under Hinkie, and no FA would sign there while they kept up the tankathon. Colangalo may turn that team into a contender with Hinkie's assets, but the fact that Silver had to step in and put him in a position to do so shows Hinkie's plan is failing.
Hinkie found Covington by going through a bunch of D-Leaguers last season.  This season their roster has been stable besides injuries and Hinkie hasn't brought on any D-Leaguers.  Saric tried hard to come over this season but the buyout was too large.  Now both he and his father say he's coming over next season.  MCW is coming off the bench now for the Bucks because his poor shooting was screwing up their staring lineup.  The Bucks fans would love to rescind that trade and have Knight back

False. Having Knight would've meant they either A) wouldn't have signed Monroe or B) wouldn't have re-signed Middleton.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/351191451.html
"I wouldn't say we gave up a lot," Kidd said."He (Knight) was having a great season, and he's having a great season this year. But it wasn't we gave up Brandon. We had a decision to make between our backcourt.

"It wasn't Klay Thompson or Stephen Curry. We weren't going to max out our backcourt. As an organization, we had a decision to make, and we made it."

Kidd referred to deciding whether to give a big contract to Knight or Khris Middleton, the two players that came over from Detroit in the July 2013 trade for Brandon Jennings. Middleton emerged last season as a legitimate threat at shooting guard and a clutch late-game scorer.

In the off-season Middleton signed a five-year, $70 million contract with Milwaukee as a restricted free agent. The Bucks also needed a big man and were able to land free-agent center Greg Monroe with a three-year, $50 million deal.

The Bucks had to make a decision between Middleton and Knight, and it was Middleton they chose.

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2015, 02:06:59 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
Still got the crow picture?

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2015, 02:08:52 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562
Wait... is it coming to an end?  Did I miss something?  Is the league stripping them away of their #1 projected pick

How come when it's Philly you refer to it as "their #1 projected pick", but when it's a reference to Boston's Brooklyn pick you refer to it as "statistically the 3rd worst team is most likely to deliver the 5th pick". 

In fact did you know that in the past 10 years, the team with the worst record has only gotten the #1 pick one time?

2005: Buck (6th worst record)
2006: Raptors (5th worst record)
2007: Blazers (7th worst record)
2008: Bulls (9th worst record)
2009: Clippers (3rd worst record)
2010: Wizards (5th worst record)
2011: Clippers (8th worst record)
2012: Hornets (4th worst record)
2013: Cavs (3rd worst record)
2014: Cavs (9th worst record)
2015: Timberwolves (worst record)

That one time was actually this year, so that only makes the odds look even WORSE for the Sixers. 

There is very, very slim chance that they get the #1 pick, if history has anything to say about it.

In fact if the past 10 years are anything to go off, then the Celtics (currently with the 3rd worst record, via the Nets) are more likely to get #1 than either the Sixers or the Lakers.
Lottery odds are the same every year.  Worst record always get 25% chance at #1 pick.  Past lottery history doesn't mean squat.  The worst record also guarantee that you get a top 4 pick.  If the Lakers finish with the 2nd worst record, the Sixers will have a 44.3% chance of getting their pick (4th or 5th). 

Hinkie improved the Sixers odds at the #1 pick by getting trade swaps for this season (and next season) in their trade (aka highway robbery) with the Kings.  So if the Kings finish with the 5th worst record like they have now, the Sixers will have an additional 8.8% chance at the #1 pick. 

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2015, 02:19:15 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://deadspin.com/76ers-hire-jerry-colangelo-whats-it-mean-for-the-proce-1746737379

Lol that article just summed up my reaction:

A Hinkie stan could—and Hinkie stans definitely will—argue that this is nothing but a cosmetic move, meant to improve the public face of an organization that has, because of a cynical, protracted tanking campaign, run afoul of GMs and agents across the league. (As it turns out, agents don’t really like teams that waive guys without a word of warning and have no interest in spending money on real NBA talent.) The thinking here is that Colangelo is just there to talk nice to the rest of the league while Hinkie continues to perform his dark magicks in the shadows.

I think that's exactly what just happened.  It's a PR move.  "ok guys, our bad... no more tanking!"... then they finish 2-80 and try their best to get Ben Simmons.  I mean what, if anything, could they even do this year beyond trading their own pick ... and what could they get for that pick?  If the NBA is forcing Philly to trade away their pick, I'll take that as bad news for Boston's hope of trading the Brooklyn pick.  Lol. 

….

The whole article which I assume you read (?) disputes your claim:

Philadelphia 76ers owner Josh Harris dropped a bit of a bombshell at a surprise press conference this afternoon, announcing that the Sixers have hired Hall of Famer and basketball sage Jerry Colangelo as the team’s new chairman of basketball operations. This sure seems like bad news for current GM Sam Hinkie and his Process.

A Hinkie stan could—and Hinkie stans definitely will—argue that this is nothing but a cosmetic move, meant to improve the public face of an organization that has, because of a cynical, protracted tanking campaign, run afoul of GMs and agents across the league. (As it turns out, agents don’t really like teams that waive guys without a word of warning and have no interest in spending money on real NBA talent.) The thinking here is that Colangelo is just there to talk nice to the rest of the league while Hinkie continues to perform his dark magicks in the shadows.

You have to make a few leaps to get to the above conclusion, though, and not all of them follow a totally logical path. For one, you have to assume that Colangelo, who’s been doing just fine as the chairman of USA Basketball and has no reason to take a job he doesn’t specifically want, would be comfortable just being a bit of decoration for a widely-derided organization to which he has no ties. Maybe that’s the case, but it’s hard to imagine a guy with Colangelo’s pedigree not insisting on having some say in the direction of the franchise. What motivation would a guy with his résumé have to join a new team and then do nothing? Once you let a guy like Colangelo in the building, he’s in the building, and his fingerprints are going to end up on the franchise, even if Hinkie is supposedly keeping the final say.

If you believe that Colangelo is nothing but window dressing, you also have to believe that Harris and the rest of the ownership group are completely happy with Hinkie’s guidance of the team. But various reports have hinted that the mood inside the organization isn’t exactly harmonious—someone’s been leaking those negative stories about Joel Embiid and Jahlil Okafor, and Brett Brown has been sounding increasingly exhausted in interviews—and in that context, Colangelo’s hiring seems like more of a substantial sea change. Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, who is about as plugged into the league as a reporter can be, is pretty straightforwardly reporting that this move is a repudiation of Hinkie’s plan.

Ownership can spin this however it wants, but if Harris and crew were completely happy with Hinkie, there’s no reason to bring Colangelo in at all. If your boss hires another guy to help you do your job, that probably means he doesn’t think you are doing a very good job.

It should be noted that Colangelo has active businesses outside the NBA and is likely not coming out of retirement to help put lipstick on a pig.

I cannot imagine Colangelo wanting to be associated with failure.  Colangelo is the long-time NBA insider (4 time NBA Exec-of-the-Year). Harris is the newbie owner who made a hiring mistake with a newbie GM. This is a face-saving move.  If Harris is playing games I suspect the NBA will short-circuit it. In practical terms, they cannot avoid tanking this year, but Simmons (25%) or no Simmons (75%), this party is over.

Colangelo is doing this as a favor to Silver, to the game he loves, and to other owners. The bottom line is that the Sixers are costing other owners money because the Sixers are the worst draw in the NBA and they're also revenue-sharing with a team that's gaming the system at their expense. Agents, players, and NBA executives hate them. Even worse is the embarrassment that the league is enduring from a once proud franchise that now is best known for the negative records it is setting. That's not good marketing.

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2015, 02:23:16 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Maybe this is another incentive for Colangelo per Woj:

Despite front-office change, 76ers discussing extension for coach Brett Brown
Adrian Wojnarowski
Yahoo Sports
December 7, 2015

Despite the usurping of general manager Sam Hinkie’s authority with the hiring of Jerry Colangelo, coach Brett Brown remains firmly in the Philadelphia 76ers' future plans, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Sixers ownership has already been discussing a contract extension for Brown, who has a year and a half left on his original four-year deal, league sources told Yahoo.

Ownership short-circuited Hinkie’s tanking process on Monday, inserting Colangelo, 76, as the special adviser to the managing general partner and chairman of basketball operations.

Sixers management lost patience with the third year of Hinkie’s tanking process, triggered in recent weeks by a 1-20 start to the season and several high-profile incidents involving No. 1 pick Jahlil Okafor.

Brown has endured two-plus years of a gutted roster, saddled with a 38-147 record. Despite the losing, Brown has made a strong impression inside and outside the franchise for how determined and resourceful his under-manned teams have remained, and how poised he’s been in the face of one of the most taxing coaching assignments in NBA history.

Colangelo was a longtime executive with the Phoenix Suns, but hasn’t been around a day-to-day front office in two decades. He’s been running USA Basketball for a decade.

It is immediately unclear how long Hinkie will want to stay on the job with reduced power in the organization, and several league executives were already wondering on Monday if Colangelo would eventually persuade ownership to hire his son, Bryan, a former general manager with the Toronto Raptors and Phoenix Suns, into a high-ranking team position.

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2015, 02:29:48 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I think Ainge would give up a fair amount for Okafor. MAYBE even the Brooklyn pick of there wasn't much else involved.

LarBird, I have to give you credit for being willing to die on the sword. You've defended Hinkie and the Sixers "plan" and have been trumpeting the immense value of their prospects for years, and even as it's coming to a crashing, poetic end that involves the league stepping in and handing them a competent GM to save face, your willing to defend the hidden brilliance of Hinkie's plan. Your a man who sticks to his convictions brotha, and I can respect that.

Wait... is it coming to an end?  Did I miss something?  Is the league stripping them away of their #1 projected pick, their potential top 4 pick from the Lakers, Dario Saric's rights, Nerlens Noel, Okafor, Embiid and the several other 1st rounders/assets they have?  Are they forbidden from using their 60 million in cap space this summer?

I'm happy to be the lone voice of reason in regards to Philly.  I'm not wrong.  That team is stacked with assets.   It wouldnt' be hard to turn it into a competent team.  You people can call me delusional all you want.  It doesn't make me any less right. 

And no, I don't buy the idea that the rest of the league would lose interest in two of the best prospects in the NBA simply because they spent 12-24 months wearing Philly jerseys.   Noel and Okafor are big time prospects.  Our best asset is Marcus Smart.  One of those Philly assets clearly more valuable than Smart... the other arguably is more valuable as well.  Is what it is.    And their best pick is more valuable than our Brooklyn pick.   Plus they have a handful of other young assets that hold value in the league.  To suggest that this is "over" is to admit not understanding the situation.

Well obviously the careers of the prospects and how they effect the Philly franchise aren't over. And I never said their prospects and assets weren't good. A good GM could certainly turn that pile of assets into a competent team.

But Hinkie's master "plan" of trading away any good players that aren't stars because they could help them win to many games, signing D-League level prospects to fill out an entire roster next to their high draft picks and hardly spending enough money to hot the salary floor in an effort to be as bad as possible for multiple years in a row has really failed to bear any of it's magic fruit (I.E. A LeBron James or Anthony Davis level player). Embiid may never play a great stretch of NBA minutes at this point. Okafor is talented but flawed, certainly not a Davis level prospect and CLEARLY has zero Interest in being the man in that city. He's miserable there. Saric still hasn't come because he doesn't want to play for less money than he would make Europe on that joke of a team. Noel is a pretty good player, maybe even a stud defensively but he's a pretty poor offensive player who's losing value playing next to Okafor. None of that team fits together. They have no culture, no collective mindset. Why would they when the team they play for is purposely surrounding you with minor league talent in an effort to lose as many games as possible.

TJ McConnell is playing PG on that team and they didn't make a play for any half decent free agent or parlay any of their future assets into a young guard they can help build around. They traded away the reigning ROY PG for a future pick (it may be a good one, but understates the problem with what's going on there). Hinkie has made some nice trades (even though he screwed over NO in the Holiday deal) and has collected a few good assets, sure. But they've failed miserably at every other aspect of building a team, and have gone about this tank job so blatantly and persistently that it was making Philly basketball an absolute joke. No star would sign off on a trade there under Hinkie, and no FA would sign there while they kept up the tankathon. Colangalo may turn that team into a contender with Hinkie's assets, but the fact that Silver had to step in and put him in a position to do so shows Hinkie's plan is failing.
Hinkie found Covington by going through a bunch of D-Leaguers last season.  This season their roster has been stable besides injuries and Hinkie hasn't brought on any D-Leaguers.  Saric tried hard to come over this season but the buyout was too large.  Now both he and his father say he's coming over next season.  MCW is coming off the bench now for the Bucks because his poor shooting was screwing up their staring lineup.  The Bucks fans would love to rescind that trade and have Knight back. 

Stars will go where they are traded.  Very few have no trade contracts.  Besides stars are rarely ever traded.  If one happens to go on the market, the Sixers have plenty of trade assets because of the moves Hinkie has made.  If Silver actually did step in, it was because of all the negative media and financial reasons not because the Hinkie's plan is failing.   
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25401310/report-dario-sarics-father-says-his-son-will-play-for-sixers-next-season

Yeah, they found Covington from a bunch of D-Leaguers, but that was one guy out of a TON of guys who aren't NBA players.  The MCW trade wasn't a bad deal asset wise but it was a symbol of how Hinkie was choosing to build a loser for the benefit of another high pick no matter what. MCW was helping them a few too many games. Heck they traded a guy they picked in the 2nd round who was probably their 3rd best player at the time for peanuts, in his rookie year, just to avoid having to pay him a mediocre salary. Saric was picked purely because he wouldn't come over for a year or two, freeing up a roster spot for a d-leaguer and allowing Philly to suck just a little bit more.

The trades Hinkie's has made have been generally good. He's accumulated some nice future assets and the guys he's picked with those top 5 picks he got still hold some value. But they're now three years into this and they're still so bad they lose 27 games in a row?! There most recent top 5 pick is clearly despising the fact that he has to start his career there. He's already reportedly looking for the fastest way out (signing a QO when the time comes). It's three years into this and they only have like 3 legit NBA players and one of them is Covington. That's created a poisonous culture of losing in that franchise. The veterans around the league think they are a huge joke, and wouldn't ever consider signing there .j

And you underestimate the influence of superstar players having a say in where they're traded. They may not have a no-trade clause but a team like Philly isn't gonna trade their two or three best assets/prospects (which is basically all they have) for a guy like Cousins or anyone else that DOES NOT WANT to play there. They need to be respectable before anyone considers getting traded there. Hinkie's plan is failing, and Philly sticking with it any longer is bad for the league, as the blatant sham going on there has been for a while. That's why Colangelo is there now. Hinkie's managed to make some nice trades and gather a few assets, with which Colangelo can probably make a pretty decent team eventually. But the side effects of Hinkie's plan have precipitated it's failure. I don't think there's much denying that.

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2015, 02:30:13 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Hinkie found Covington by going through a bunch of D-Leaguers last season.  This season their roster has been stable besides injuries and Hinkie hasn't brought on any D-Leaguers.  Saric tried hard to come over this season but the buyout was too large.  Now both he and his father say he's coming over next season.  MCW is coming off the bench now for the Bucks because his poor shooting was screwing up their staring lineup.  The Bucks fans would love to rescind that trade and have Knight back

False. Having Knight would've meant they either A) wouldn't have signed Monroe or B) wouldn't have re-signed Middleton.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/351191451.html
"I wouldn't say we gave up a lot," Kidd said."He (Knight) was having a great season, and he's having a great season this year. But it wasn't we gave up Brandon. We had a decision to make between our backcourt.

"It wasn't Klay Thompson or Stephen Curry. We weren't going to max out our backcourt. As an organization, we had a decision to make, and we made it."

Kidd referred to deciding whether to give a big contract to Knight or Khris Middleton, the two players that came over from Detroit in the July 2013 trade for Brandon Jennings. Middleton emerged last season as a legitimate threat at shooting guard and a clutch late-game scorer.

In the off-season Middleton signed a five-year, $70 million contract with Milwaukee as a restricted free agent. The Bucks also needed a big man and were able to land free-agent center Greg Monroe with a three-year, $50 million deal.

The Bucks had to make a decision between Middleton and Knight, and it was Middleton they chose.
The Bucks should have signed Knight and Middleton and not signed Monroe.  The didn't need Monroe and he's not a particularly good fit.  If they really didn't want Knight, they should have just taken the Lakers pick from the Suns.  MCW is just not a good starting PG and Hinkie was smart to get rid of him for the Lakers pick. 

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2015, 02:48:11 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287

"This season has not been easy for us and even more difficult than we anticipated," Harris said. "Our situation needed a review to make our situation better."

While Harris said he believes in the plan — to build sustainable success — it’s an admission the plan isn’t going the way the 76ers had hoped and change is necessary.

The 76ers were 19-63 in 2013-14, 18-64 in 2014-15 and 1-20 this season going into Monday's game against the San Antonio Spurs, and those draft picks haven’t generated the player Philadelphia believes is a game-changer.

All of that tanking and they still haven't tanked as well as Minnesota.
Not exactly true.

You tank to maximize your chances at a star.     Sota traded a superstar for a superstar prospect.    Then they won the draft.   Philly has tanked... and so far has made no effort to actually put a competitive team out there.  But the fruits of their tanking efforts are still in the mix as assets.

When Minnesota traded Kevin Love, Flip Sanders held out for a superstar. But when Philly traded Evan Turner they got pennies on the dollar. Hinkie didn't attempt to make the 76ers better. That's one of the reasons Minnesota's tank is ahead of the 76ers tank.

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2015, 02:49:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

"This season has not been easy for us and even more difficult than we anticipated," Harris said. "Our situation needed a review to make our situation better."

While Harris said he believes in the plan — to build sustainable success — it’s an admission the plan isn’t going the way the 76ers had hoped and change is necessary.

The 76ers were 19-63 in 2013-14, 18-64 in 2014-15 and 1-20 this season going into Monday's game against the San Antonio Spurs, and those draft picks haven’t generated the player Philadelphia believes is a game-changer.

Not exactly true.

You tank to maximize your chances at a star.     Sota traded a superstar for a superstar prospect.    Then they won the draft.   Philly has tanked... and so far has made no effort to actually put a competitive team out there.  But the fruits of their tanking efforts are still in the mix as assets.

When Minnesota traded Kevin Love, Flip Sanders held out for a superstar. But when Philly traded Evan Turner they got pennies on the dollar. Hinkie didn't attempt to make the 76ers better. That's one of the reasons Minnesota's tank is ahead of the 76ers tank.
Yeah I guess Philly should have traded Evan turner for a superstar.

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2015, 02:52:46 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Still got the crow picture?
im sure I can find it.  I'll let you borrow it in a couple years if you end up being wrong about Philly's plan failing.

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2015, 02:57:10 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Not exactly true.

You're comparing Evan Turner to Kevin Love.  What a joke!!!  Hinkie tried to get a 1st for Evan Turner and no one would give it to him so he settled for two 2nds.  Not only was Turner not that good but he was an RFA whose qualifying offer was 8.7mil.  Indy could have kept him but they dropped him like a hot potato too.   

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2015, 03:37:10 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
There's an Insider piece up at ESPN that I can't just copy and paste. In the article Pelton describes 3 scenarios:

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/14316363/jerry-colangelo-hiring-mean-philadelphia-sixers

Scenario 1: The public face of the process

Persistent reports featuring anonymous sources have also painted Hinkie's relationship with player agents and other teams as problematic, as ESPN.com's Zach Lowe noted last week.

"The easiest thing to do in the NBA right now is find someone, usually an agent or an executive from another team, ready with anonymous rip job of Philly," wrote Lowe.

Enter Colangelo, the 76-year-old basketball power broker who has amassed strong relationships throughout his four-plus decades with the Phoenix Suns along with his current roles as managing director of the USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team and chairman of the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame.

"As long as I'm involved, I will be available to the media," Colangelo told reporters during the news conference announcing his new role with the Sixers. His arrival immediately changes the narrative about Philadelphia's direction and also strengthens ties with agents.

This quote summarizes one scenario that establishes a cooperative situation where Colangelo works with Hinkie similar to Jerry West and the Warriors, One thing that has been severely damaged is the relationship the Sixers have with players and agents, something that I would expect to be fixed immediately if the Sixers have any hope of attracting free agents in the future. The other immediate fix would be to get some high character vets to act as mentors. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something before the deadline in this regard.

Scenario 2: The takeover

Given his other responsibilities, Colangelo is unlikely to take on the full responsibility that goes with directing basketball operations. There's someone he surely trusts who is available, however: Colangelo's son, Bryan, a two-time NBA Executive of the Year who has been out of the league since being let go as president and GM of the Toronto Raptors after the 2012-13 season.

Same thing Woj said in the article I C&P'd in my last post.

Scenario 3: Wait and see

If Philadelphia is again unlucky in the lottery and frustration with the process grows, at the very least Colangelo's arrival offers a Plan B.

That is, to go in another direction. There's a 75% chance that they don't get Simmons and a 56% chance currently that they don't get the Lakers' pick. There's a 42% chance they lose on both counts, an 11% chance that they win on both counts, a 14% they get Simmons and not the Lakers' pick, and a 33% chance they get the Lakers pick, but not Simmons.

No matter the outcome, I expect tanking will stop after this season. Given that they need to finish last to maximize their outcomes AND the league is sick of the "Process," I expect, but could be wrong, that the Sixers will not be afforded the opportunity of tanking blatantly on the court or with fake injuries without triggering further repercussions from the NBA.

With the Lakers moving the Kobe farewell tour front and center and moving Russell and Randle to the bench, the Lakers' tankathon is now in full force. Thus, given how bad the Lakers' talent really is, it's conceivable that the Sixers won't even end up with the worst record.

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2015, 03:53:58 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Derek Bodner @DerekBodnerNBA

Brett Brown says he thinks they're going to take free agency and veterans more seriously.

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2015, 07:02:30 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2990
The power structure there makes even less sense now ....

So they bring in someone to divid up the blame for tanking and giving the fans ZERO for their money .......cheating the paying fans in other words .

The owners are mucking up the 76 ers ,...really bad

This is a hiring under , The false pretense of TRYING to show they actually care about the sport and their loyal fans .    Yet the owners keep the brain dead Henkie on board .....Dr Tank ......to hide behind the scenes .

Hoping adding more front office people to absorb the back lash and rath of the NBA who,are starting to,get annoyed at the mess. 

Undermining the goal,of winning is stupid and childish

If they want to play basketball,.....then play basketball ....or sell the franchise .

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2015, 08:05:15 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
This conversation is getting crazy. It's possible to support tanking as a strategy and also think that the Sixers have made mistakes during that "process." It doesn't matter how great your draft pick is if you don't pick the right players, and then there are also down years in the draft where no options are that good.

They were able to get Noel in an absolutely atrocious draft. Then they took Embiid who was a risk, but a good one, especially considering it doesn't seem like any surefire stars were picked afterward anyway (a lot of the players taken after have already also had serious injuries themselves).

The big mistake Hinkie made was not taking Porzingis over Okafor, but it's not like Okafor is chopped liver. The guy can't play D and has a game ill-suited for today's NBA, but he's still averaging 17/8 a game.

They could still trade any of their assets for older players right now. However, I think they will wait until next season and see what they have, then consider dealing some of their redundancies for better team fits. People act like all their assets are poison right now which is far from the case.