Author Topic: Happy trails to Hinkie's Power.  (Read 75803 times)

Re: Happy trails to Hinkie's Power.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 08:00:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Negative Sixers and Hinkie talk brings out the best of LB33. Go get em, man! Defend your team!

Let the hype of the injured Embiid, regressing Noel, backyard brawler Okafor, and shooting blanks Stauskas begin!

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 08:04:33 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I was talking to someone yesterday that had a pretty grand idea.  He suggested that the 76ers just trade everyone this summer.   It makes sense.

When you look at what they potentially will have coming in this summer

Embiid - some encouraging news about him this week
Saric - May come back
Top 5 pick - Perhaps Simmons?
Lakers pick if it falls outside the top 3 - currently has a 45% chance of happening
Miami 1st - Double check this
Oklahoma 1st  - Double check this

+ their existing "assets"

Okafor - has clear trade value
Noel - has clear trade value

Maybe one or two of Grant, Marshall, Sampson, Thompson, Wroten, Stauskas...

So get a competent GM in there and flip everyone on the entire roster.   Squeeze some picks out of the Grant, Marshall, Sampson, Thompson, Wroten, Stauskas group.    Flip Okafor and Noel for comparable talent.    Utilize the roughly 60 million in cap space to go hard after some top-flight free agents or at the very least bring in some vets...   

If they had a whole new team with all new players, nobody would call it a "losing culture".  Embiid, Saric, their top 3 pick, etc have never played a game in the NBA... they haven't suffered through either of these seasons.   So flip the guys who have the 76ers Stink on them.  They'll have no trouble finding takers for Okafor and Noel.   It would be an entirely different team than the one they have this year... one potentially LOADED with NBA talent. 

Hinkie set them up to acquire an incredible collection of young assets...  My only question was whether or not Hinkie could guide the team to the next step - turning those highly lucrative assets into a basketball team.   Possibly a very smart move bringing in a guy like Colangelo who understands how to build a team.  Once again, I suspect that the majority of people who hear this news will interpret it incorrectly.

This is just delusional.

1.  By the start of next season, Embiid will not have played competitive basketball in over two years.

2.  Saric could be a bust.

3.  At this point, it will be virtually impossible to get better by trading Okafor and Noel.  Sure, teams like Boston will give you a couple of lower ceiling players and a pick, but no one's trading a veteran superstar for either of them.  I'm not sure the Kings would trade Cousins for both of them.

4.  You couldn't get more than a mid second rounder for anyone else on the Sixers roster.

5.  No decent veteran is going anywhere near Philly now if they have any other possible option.

6.  The Miami and OKC picks look likely to be in the mid to late 20s.

7.  The numbers say that it is unlikely Philly gets Simmons and even more unlikely they'll get both their own and LA's pick.

You might as well suggest Hinkie start rubbing every lamp he can in hopes a genie eventually pops out.

This situation is exactly what it looks like.  Colangelo sees a situation which has nowhere to go but up.  Sixers ownership wants to hear a voice besides Hinkie's, who remains in charge but now knows there's a countdown running on "The Process."

Mike
The reality is probably somewhere between these two opinions. I would bet he makes trades, but I also bet the holds onto players who he thinks could be part of their future.  One thing for sure: Colangelo knows what he is doing and the Sixers will be better for it.

At his age, I doubt Colangelo is looking to come in and take over.  It's seems more like the owner wants someone to evaluate Hinkie's decision making.  But yeah, unless you're a Hinkie cultist, this can only be a good move for Philly.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 08:05:15 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The Sixers are losing 63-29 at home right now to the Spurs who are not even playing Duncan, Leonard, or Ginobli.  The team is a joke.  A few rookies won't turn them around. 

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 08:06:22 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI

Regardless of what the Sixers say, they have empowered Colangelo to be the strongest voice on basketball decisions. Hinkie just got demoted.

Either fire Same Hinkie or commit to him and what he's doing. Hiring Colangelo as a "special advisor" is just going to make things messier.

Sixers responding positively to the news are down 65-29 at the half to the team they will overcome in a few short years. What a clusterF,

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I'd consider giving them a lottery protected first or James Young and their 2nd back for Covington. He's a legit NBA player and we need a SF who can hit 3's AND play D. Good compliment for Crowder.

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I was talking to someone yesterday that had a pretty grand idea.  He suggested that the 76ers just trade everyone this summer.   It makes sense.

Saric - May come back
Lakers pick if it falls outside the top 3 - currently has a 45% chance of happening

So get a competent GM in there and flip everyone on the entire roster.   Squeeze some picks out of the Grant, Marshall, Sampson, Thompson, Wroten, Stauskas group.    Flip Okafor and Noel for comparable talent.    Utilize the roughly 60 million in cap space to go hard after some top-flight free agents or at the very least bring in some vets...   

If they had a whole new team with all new players, nobody would call it a "losing culture".  Embiid, Saric, their top 3 pick, etc have never played a game in the NBA... they haven't suffered through either of these seasons.   So flip the guys who have the 76ers Stink on them.  They'll have no trouble finding takers for Okafor and Noel.   It would be an entirely different team than the one they have this year... one potentially LOADED with NBA talent. 

Hinkie set them up to acquire an incredible collection of young assets...  My only question was whether or not Hinkie could guide the team to the next step - turning those highly lucrative assets into a basketball team.   Possibly a very smart move bringing in a guy like Colangelo who understands how to build a team.  Once again, I suspect that the majority of people who hear this news will interpret it incorrectly.

Eh ... if you're trading a bunch of young guys who have not proven they can produce and win in the league, you're either getting established players on the back end of their careers who have decidedly less talent, or you're getting draft picks that are most likely not going to turn into comparable prospects.

I disagree entirely.   If you think PHilly's only options for trading Jahlil Okafor are "established player on back end of career" or "draft pick", there's not much point in discussing further.  This just isn't true.

Then let's see an example.  Who do you think Philly could get for either Noel and/or Okafor?  Not hot air.  Actual names.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 08:09:08 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Saric - May come back

Eh ... if you're trading a bunch of young guys who have not proven they can produce and win in the league, you're either getting established players on the back end of their careers who have decidedly less talent, or you're getting draft picks that are most likely not going to turn into comparable prospects.

I disagree entirely.   If you think PHilly's only options for trading Jahlil Okafor are "established player on back end of career" or "draft pick", there's not much point in discussing further.  This just isn't true.

Then let's see an example.  Who do you think Philly could get for either Noel and/or Okafor?  Not hot air.  Actual names.

Mike

I bet they could get Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller for Noel. Maybe even another pick

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 983
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Saric - May come back

This is just delusional.

1.  By the start of next season, Embiid will not have played competitive basketball in over two years.

2.  Saric could be a bust.

3.  At this point, it will be virtually impossible to get better by trading Okafor and Noel.  Sure, teams like Boston will give you a couple of lower ceiling players and a pick, but no one's trading a veteran superstar for either of them.  I'm not sure the Kings would trade Cousins for both of them.

4.  You couldn't get more than a mid second rounder for anyone else on the Sixers roster.

5.  No decent veteran is going anywhere near Philly now if they have any other possible option.

6.  The Miami and OKC picks look likely to be in the mid to late 20s.

7.  The numbers say that it is unlikely Philly gets Simmons and even more unlikely they'll get both their own and LA's pick.

You might as well suggest Hinkie start rubbing every lamp he can in hopes a genie eventually pops out.

This situation is exactly what it looks like.  Colangelo sees a situation which has nowhere to go but up.  Sixers ownership wants to hear a voice besides Hinkie's, who remains in charge but now knows there's a countdown running on "The Process."

Mike
The reality is probably somewhere between these two opinions. I would bet he makes trades, but I also bet the holds onto players who he thinks could be part of their future.  One thing for sure: Colangelo knows what he is doing and the Sixers will be better for it.

At his age, I doubt Colangelo is looking to come in and take over.  It's seems more like the owner wants someone to evaluate Hinkie's decision making.  But yeah, unless you're a Hinkie cultist, this can only be a good move for Philly.

Mike
Hinkie cultist, lol, that's scary.

Actually I believe Colangelo was indeed hired to come in and TAKE OVER.  Ownership is done with Hinkie's tanking, they are losing their fan base and some will not come back.  I bet Hinkie's is gone by next season.

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 08:09:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI

Regardless of what the Sixers say, they have empowered Colangelo to be the strongest voice on basketball decisions. Hinkie just got demoted.

Either fire Same Hinkie or commit to him and what he's doing. Hiring Colangelo as a "special advisor" is just going to make things messier.

Sixers responding positively to the news are down 65-29 at the half to the team they will overcome in a few short years. What a clusterF,

Okafor is also 0-6 from the field with 0 points and 1 rebound being guarded by matt bonner and a 36 year old Diaw. Things are pretty bleak...the okafor assaults could be the breaking point in the process...

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Hinkie's trade of Jrue Holiday was a great trade. From then on, I don't think he has done anything special. They do have any interesting collection of assets. Even if Embiid never plays, they have a solid core of young assets.  If Embiid does arrive, they are stacked.

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 08:18:47 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Saric - May come back

Mike

Almost requested the same so glad I read the whole thread.  It's silly to talk about quick turnarounds and flipping this guy for that and voila if you have no names to back up that conceptualization. 

There is one thing that could save Hinkie at this point (if he's still in fact in charge) and that thing is a person:  Ben Simmons.  Simmons imo is a talent that could A:  do great things  and B:  quickly attract guys to the team.  I pray they do get him (and not the Lakers).

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Seems stupid if the 76ers are hiring Colangelo to come in and take over.
The whole premise that the ownership agreed to was a longer term plan.
Jrue Holiday was traded for Noel only 2 and a half years ago. Embid 1.5 years and Okafur a few months ago.

Saric coming over should bolster their wing positions.

Their needs are a solid point guard and small forward.

With a top 3 pick this year they are looking pretty good IMO.
If they get Simmons, Ingram or Brown they'll be laughing.
If Embid can play, they'll trade Noel.  If he can't,  they'll keep Noel and make Okafur play PF like Timmy Duncan.

I agree with Larbrd33 in the sense that a GM coming into that situation can do some serious building with the youth and talent they have- arguably more so than our own situation.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:25:46 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Saric - May come back

Mike

Fine... I'll pull some out of my ass.  It's not hard.   

Nerlens Noel proved last year that he's likely the most exciting defensive prospects in the entire league.  Sure, he's bad offensively... sure, he isn't succeeding at the PF position running out and guarding the perimeter...  but let that kid roam the middle and there's few guys in the game that have more defensive potential.  I firmly believe Nerlens Noel is a defensive player of the year candidate.  His offense isn't there, but he has the chance to be the epicenter of a team's defense... there's value to that.  I'm not letting his injuries and inability to play out of position hide the fact that as a 20 year old during the second half of last season, he averaged 14 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 steals with 55% shooting... He's got value.

Okafor has had some maturity issues... but he was also seen as a clear top 3 prospect this year... and he's done little to disprove his potential.   Worse case, he's a bigger version of Al Jefferson.  He doesn't turn 20 years old until later this month and he's averaging 17 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.6 blocks on 46% shooting.... he's a a 6'11 275 all-star center prospect... if you don't think teams would be lining up to trade for him, you're out of your minds.

So what could they get?

Well I mean, if they are content with "settling" for "decent" players as opposed to letting their star potential develop, I suppose they could get a whole lot.   It wouldn't make much sense given Philly's "superstar or bust" strategy, but it wouldnt' be hard to flip either for competent players at different positions.

For instance, could they leverage their 60 million in cap space to take on some decent talent?    The Suns gamble on Tyson CHandler hasn't worked out.  Alex Len isn't developing fast enough.   They have two point guards again.  Are you seriously telling me it's inconceivable that the Suns would trade Brandon Knight (making 13.5 mil for the next 5 years) for Nerlens Noel (making 3.5 mil)?   Suns get an fantastic defensive center, a 10 mil trade exception...   I suppose Philly can toss in one of their other 2016 1sts (from the Heat or Thunder) if absolutely necessary.   

The Magic have a log-jam at SF.  They smartly locked up restricted free agent Tobias Harris instead of letting him walk for nothing.  But now they are paying Tobias Harris 16 million a year despite the fact that Aaron Gordon and Mario Hezonja are probably their future at that position.   Nikola Vucevic is a nice center, but he's not a franchise big.  Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that the Magic wouldn't move Tobias Harris (16 mil per year for the next 4 years) for Jahlil Okafor  (4.5 mil for the next 4 years) while picking up a 12 mil trade exception in the process?   Come on... you can't be serious.   Orlando does that trade immediately.

So then, are you SERIOUSLY telling me that it's unfathomable that Philly could march out a lineup of like... PG - Knight, SG - Jaylen Brown (via Laker pick), SF - Tobias Harris, PF - Ben Simmons (via their own pick) and C - Joel Embiid (miraculously healthy) with a potent bench of youth (Saric?  Stauskas? Wroten? etc) and signed vets?   Look, that's unlikely, but it's not unthinkable.    My guess is, Philly can get better offers for Okafor and Noel than the two I just pulled out of my butt.   

The point is, they'll have unlimited options.  It's a dream come true for a competent GM.  They have assets on top of assets on top of assets.   It wouldnt' be hard to turn that team around.  Trade everyone, roll out a whole new lineup next year... they win a few games and nobody will give a crap about their struggles.  It's not like people look at the Los Angeles Clippers post Blake Griffin and talk about how they are the most hopeless team in the league.   It just takes one of those gambles to work out.

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If you were Jerry Colangelo a Living Legend like I am. Would you come to Philly and not have final say??

I wouldn't, and I really am a Living Legend.

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 09:28:02 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2997

Saric - May come back

Mike

Fine... I'll pull some out of my ass.  It's not hard.   

Nerlens Noel proved last year that he's likely the most exciting defensive prospects in the entire league.  Sure, he's bad offensively... sure, he isn't succeeding at the PF position running out and guarding the perimeter...  but let that kid roam the middle and there's few guys in the game that have more defensive potential.  I firmly believe Nerlens Noel is a defensive player of the year candidate.  His offense isn't there, but he has the chance to be the epicenter of a team's defense... there's value to that.  I'm not letting his injuries and inability to play out of position hide the fact that as a 20 year old during the second half of last season, he averaged 14 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 steals with 55% shooting... He's got value.

Okafor has had some maturity issues... but he was also seen as a clear top 3 prospect this year... and he's done little to disprove his potential.   Worse case, he's a bigger version of Al Jefferson.  He doesn't turn 20 years old until later this month and he's averaging 17 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.6 blocks on 46% shooting.... he's a a 6'11 275 all-star center prospect... if you don't think teams would be lining up to trade for him, you're out of your minds.

So what could they get?

Well I mean, if they are content with "settling" for "decent" players as opposed to letting their star potential develop, I suppose they could get a whole lot.   It wouldn't make much sense given Philly's "superstar or bust" strategy, but it wouldnt' be hard to flip either for competent players at different positions.

For instance, could they leverage their 60 million in cap space to take on some decent talent?    The Suns gamble on Tyson CHandler hasn't worked out.  Alex Len isn't developing fast enough.   They have two point guards again.  Are you seriously telling me it's inconceivable that the Suns would trade Brandon Knight (making 13.5 mil for the next 5 years) for Nerlens Noel (making 3.5 mil)?   Suns get an fantastic defensive center, a 10 mil trade exception...   I suppose Philly can toss in one of their other 2016 1sts (from the Heat or Thunder) if absolutely necessary.   

The Magic have a log-jam at SF.  They smartly locked up restricted free agent Tobias Harris instead of letting him walk for nothing.  But now they are paying Tobias Harris 16 million a year despite the fact that Aaron Gordon and Mario Hezonja are probably their future at that position.   Nikola Vucevic is a nice center, but he's not a franchise big.  Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that the Magic wouldn't move Tobias Harris (16 mil per year for the next 4 years) for Jahlil Okafor  (4.5 mil for the next 4 years) while picking up a 12 mil trade exception in the process?   Come on... you can't be serious.   Orlando does that trade immediately.

So then, are you SERIOUSLY telling me that it's unfathomable that Philly could march out a lineup of like... PG - Knight, SG - Jaylen Brown (via Laker pick), SF - Tobias Harris, PF - Ben Simmons (via their own pick) and C - Joel Embiid (miraculously healthy) with a potent bench of youth (Saric?  Stauskas? Wroten? etc) and signed vets?   Look, that's unlikely, but it's not unthinkable.    My guess is, Philly can get better offers for Okafor and Noel than the two I just pulled out of my butt.   

The point is, they'll have unlimited options.  It's a dream come true for a competent GM.  They have assets on top of assets on top of assets.   It wouldnt' be hard to turn that team around.  Trade everyone, roll out a whole new lineup next year... they win a few games and nobody will give a crap about their struggles.  It's not like people look at the Los Angeles Clippers post Blake Griffin and talk about how they are the most hopeless team in the league.   It just takes one of those gambles to work out.

Just another example of LarBrd33's eternal optimism with other teams and eternal pessimism with the C's!