Author Topic: Happy trails to Hinkie's Power.  (Read 75498 times)

Happy trails to Hinkie's Power.
« on: December 07, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 One of the most credible faces in the history of the NBA has been hired by the 76 ers Jerry Colangelo.

76ers owner says Hinkie still has final say. I say yeah right.

Dan Le Batard "does this feel like the league stepped in?

Mike Wilbon " I don't know if they did but they had every reason to give in what the 76ers have become"

Interesting stuff the NBA does not "trust the process anymore"

Re: Happy trails to Hinkie's Power.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
For a second i thought it said bryan colangelo. And i was like "how is he credible"

Jerry makes sense

Edit: forgot bryan did some credible things in phoenix

I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:49:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was talking to someone yesterday that had a pretty grand idea.  He suggested that the 76ers just trade everyone this summer.   It makes sense.

When you look at what they potentially will have coming in this summer

Embiid - some encouraging news about him this week
Saric - May come back
Top 5 pick - Perhaps Simmons?
Lakers pick if it falls outside the top 3 - currently has a 45% chance of happening
Miami 1st - Double check this
Oklahoma 1st  - Double check this

+ their existing "assets"

Okafor - has clear trade value
Noel - has clear trade value

Maybe one or two of Grant, Marshall, Sampson, Thompson, Wroten, Stauskas...

So get a competent GM in there and flip everyone on the entire roster.   Squeeze some picks out of the Grant, Marshall, Sampson, Thompson, Wroten, Stauskas group.    Flip Okafor and Noel for comparable talent.    Utilize the roughly 60 million in cap space to go hard after some top-flight free agents or at the very least bring in some vets...   

If they had a whole new team with all new players, nobody would call it a "losing culture".  Embiid, Saric, their top 3 pick, etc have never played a game in the NBA... they haven't suffered through either of these seasons.   So flip the guys who have the 76ers Stink on them.  They'll have no trouble finding takers for Okafor and Noel.   It would be an entirely different team than the one they have this year... one potentially LOADED with NBA talent. 

Hinkie set them up to acquire an incredible collection of young assets...  My only question was whether or not Hinkie could guide the team to the next step - turning those highly lucrative assets into a basketball team.   Possibly a very smart move bringing in a guy like Colangelo who understands how to build a team.  Once again, I suspect that the majority of people who hear this news will interpret it incorrectly.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:58:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I was talking to someone yesterday that had a pretty grand idea.  He suggested that the 76ers just trade everyone this summer.   It makes sense.

Saric - May come back
Lakers pick if it falls outside the top 3 - currently has a 45% chance of happening

So get a competent GM in there and flip everyone on the entire roster.   Squeeze some picks out of the Grant, Marshall, Sampson, Thompson, Wroten, Stauskas group.    Flip Okafor and Noel for comparable talent.    Utilize the roughly 60 million in cap space to go hard after some top-flight free agents or at the very least bring in some vets...   

If they had a whole new team with all new players, nobody would call it a "losing culture".  Embiid, Saric, their top 3 pick, etc have never played a game in the NBA... they haven't suffered through either of these seasons.   So flip the guys who have the 76ers Stink on them.  They'll have no trouble finding takers for Okafor and Noel.   It would be an entirely different team than the one they have this year... one potentially LOADED with NBA talent. 

Hinkie set them up to acquire an incredible collection of young assets...  My only question was whether or not Hinkie could guide the team to the next step - turning those highly lucrative assets into a basketball team.   Possibly a very smart move bringing in a guy like Colangelo who understands how to build a team.  Once again, I suspect that the majority of people who hear this news will interpret it incorrectly.

Eh ... if you're trading a bunch of young guys who have not proven they can produce and win in the league, you're either getting established players on the back end of their careers who have decidedly less talent, or you're getting draft picks that are most likely not going to turn into comparable prospects.

Especially if you think the "Sixers stink" is a real thing.

So at this point, the Sixers trading away their entire team would probably just end up making the last three years seem like (even more of) a colossal waste.

They could probably exchange their pile of assets, plus utilize cap space to overpay for role players, and end up with a team that could try to win 35-40 games next year.  In other words, they could exchange all they've accumulated thanks to three years of blatant tanking ... and get the exact type of team they ran away from in the first place.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 07:00:04 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
I don't see anything brilliant about Hinkie ,  his plan is something like a fourteen year old would would dream up. 

Setting a team up to lose doesn't take brains .....just lack of judgement for the feelings of everyone else involved.

Just a very poor attitude about sports , fan trust , player trust , and a dumb owner willing to screw his paying fans .....for years ...smh

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2572
I don't see anything brilliant about Hinkie ,  his plan is something like a fourteen year old would would dream up. 

Setting a team up to lose doesn't take brains .....just lack of judgement for the feelings of everyone else involved.

Just a very poor attitude about sports , fan trust , player trust , and a dumb owner willing to screw his paying fans .....for years ...smh

No different plan than the Lakers except that the Lakers know that eventually a top FA will come their way.   That is the 76ers miscalculation -- Phlly only becomes a destination franchise after they have built a winner.   True, though, that with a better fall of the pig-pong balls, Philly would be fielding a team with Towns and Wiggins.   

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

No different plan than the Lakers except that the Lakers know that eventually a top FA will come their way.   That is the 76ers miscalculation -- Phlly only becomes a destination franchise after they have built a winner.   True, though, that with a better fall of the pig-pong balls, Philly would be fielding a team with Towns and Wiggins.

They should at least have porzingis. Okafor looks fine, but splash in the available video of him getting in repeated street fights, and the seperation between the two is only growing. I really wish Celtics had Porzingis

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 07:33:04 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Saric - May come back

This is just delusional.

1.  By the start of next season, Embiid will not have played competitive basketball in over two years.

2.  Saric could be a bust.

3.  At this point, it will be virtually impossible to get better by trading Okafor and Noel.  Sure, teams like Boston will give you a couple of lower ceiling players and a pick, but no one's trading a veteran superstar for either of them.  I'm not sure the Kings would trade Cousins for both of them.

4.  You couldn't get more than a mid second rounder for anyone else on the Sixers roster.

5.  No decent veteran is going anywhere near Philly now if they have any other possible option.

6.  The Miami and OKC picks look likely to be in the mid to late 20s.

7.  The numbers say that it is unlikely Philly gets Simmons and even more unlikely they'll get both their own and LA's pick.

You might as well suggest Hinkie start rubbing every lamp he can in hopes a genie eventually pops out.

This situation is exactly what it looks like.  Colangelo sees a situation which has nowhere to go but up.  Sixers ownership wants to hear a voice besides Hinkie's, who remains in charge but now knows there's a countdown running on "The Process."

Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 07:40:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Saric - May come back

Eh ... if you're trading a bunch of young guys who have not proven they can produce and win in the league, you're either getting established players on the back end of their careers who have decidedly less talent, or you're getting draft picks that are most likely not going to turn into comparable prospects.

I disagree entirely.   If you think PHilly's only options for trading Jahlil Okafor are "established player on back end of career" or "draft pick", there's not much point in discussing further.  This just isn't true.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 07:45:26 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Saric - May come back

This is just delusional.

1.  By the start of next season, Embiid will not have played competitive basketball in over two years.

2.  Saric could be a bust.

3.  At this point, it will be virtually impossible to get better by trading Okafor and Noel.  Sure, teams like Boston will give you a couple of lower ceiling players and a pick, but no one's trading a veteran superstar for either of them.  I'm not sure the Kings would trade Cousins for both of them.

4.  You couldn't get more than a mid second rounder for anyone else on the Sixers roster.

5.  No decent veteran is going anywhere near Philly now if they have any other possible option.

6.  The Miami and OKC picks look likely to be in the mid to late 20s.

7.  The numbers say that it is unlikely Philly gets Simmons and even more unlikely they'll get both their own and LA's pick.

You might as well suggest Hinkie start rubbing every lamp he can in hopes a genie eventually pops out.

This situation is exactly what it looks like.  Colangelo sees a situation which has nowhere to go but up.  Sixers ownership wants to hear a voice besides Hinkie's, who remains in charge but now knows there's a countdown running on "The Process."

Mike
The reality is probably somewhere between these two opinions. I would bet he makes trades, but I also bet the holds onto players who he thinks could be part of their future.  One thing for sure: Colangelo knows what he is doing and the Sixers will be better for it. 

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:48:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

Saric - May come back

I disagree entirely.   If you think PHilly's only options for trading Jahlil Okafor are "established player on back end of career" or "draft pick", there's not much point in discussing further.  This just isn't true.

Do you really think Okafor's stock is that high right now? Dude probably has forthcoming criminal charges and has shown a penchent for wanting to club and drink during the regular season (and possibly fight) on numerous occasions in multiple cities. That is the kind of character red flag that would have dropped him down the board if it happened prior to draft.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 07:49:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Look I get that it's not a popular opinion around here.   If I was GM candidate looking for a job, I'd probably much rather have Philly's situation than Boston's.    Boston has some solid players.  Boston is clearly a better team right now.    That said, those type of players are easier to come by and I genuinely believe it would be easier to turn Philly into a contender in the next few years than Boston.   

If Philly is loaded with talent next year and starts winning some games, nobody will care about these past two years.   I see no reason to believe they can't be on a par with a team like Orlando as soon as next season.  Their GM could fail, though.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I just don't think anybody is going to give the Sixers a really nice established player for Jahlil Okafor.  He hasn't shown enough to be the centerpiece of a deal that would net them a better player to build around.

Trading guys so soon after you've drafted them, especially when your team has done nothing but lose in the interim, is almost always going to be selling low.  It just doesn't make much sense, unless the Sixers really want to re-populate their roster with middle of the road guys.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Saric - May come back

Another pipe dream and the last sentence is pure LarBrd33.

"If they had a whole new team with all new players, nobody would call it a "losing culture".

Classic LarBrd33 non sequitur. People will continue to call it a losing culture if they have to do something so extreme as what he suggests to start over.

Saric - May come back

LarBrd33 went to the bother of hyping up LAL pick potential, but failed to mention that the odds of the Sixers not getting getting Simmons is 75% if they end up with the worst record. I'm sure that Sixer fans are stoked to know they have to lose every **** game to ensure the best odds that they get the first pick and the Lakers fall out of the top 3. Anyway, Saric shouldn't come over until after next year so that he can avoid rookie scale (and a lousy situation), and the other picks are locks for late firsts. As for Noel, he's been devalued by the "Process" and Okafor's the only sure thing, but he's no transcendent player.

There's obviously a problem with this franchise that LarBrd has been unable to recognize despite his brilliance. Colangelo will have to change how the Sixers are perceived by players and agents (with whom Hinkie burnt bridges) if they ever want to play in free agency without wildly overpaying people to take their money, He's a 4 -time NBA exec of the year, but he's 76 too, albeit still active in his businesses.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Look I get that it's not a popular opinion around here.   If I was GM candidate looking for a job, I'd probably much rather have Philly's situation than Boston's.    Boston has some solid players.  Boston is clearly a better team right now.    That said, those type of players are easier to come by and I genuinely believe it would be easier to turn Philly into a contender in the next few years than Boston.   

If Philly is loaded with talent next year and starts winning some games, nobody will care about these past two years.   I see no reason to believe they can't be on a par with a team like Orlando as soon as next season.  Their GM could fail, though.

Too bad they couldn't hire you to be their GM. There's no one in the NBA who could turn them around so fast.