Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 83371 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Is Ainge on fire yet?  Or does he need one more move?  If this was NBA Jam he'd be pretty close.

« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2015, 05:30:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
David Lee and Amir Johnson should start. Two best big men on the team.

Two guys who probably have no future here and will be gone in 12 months time and whose playing time will come at the expense of young up and coming players.

1.) You have no idea if Lee and Amir won't be here in 12 months

2.)Their playing time comes at the expense of no one. If those "young up and coming" players were any good, they wouldn't be losing playing time.

A player being young doesn't automatically make him good.

A notion I am trying to glue into people's minds but I am not getting very far.

I with you on all points.  Ok I'll stop stalking you now.  Just refreshing to see commons sense come through once in awhile.  This blog tears down positive and applauds crap.

Cltc5, I am ready to chew some bubble gum and kick some ass ;D

« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
I dont get it. What does GSW get out of making this deal?

They don't have to play David Lee.

Yeah, they just traded for a really good player only to not play him.

Makes a lot of sense.

Exactly.

He's the best big we have. Not the best PF, the best big.

And if you look at his per minute averages this season, it's within his averages in his last two, when he was an All Star for one of them. He's still consistent. But sure, don't play him, right?

Unreal. We got a very good player for a bench warmer. You make room for him, not the others who hasn't proven that they are, and can be at Lee's level of talent, consistency and professionalism.

More yes!

« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
David Lee and Amir Johnson should start. Two best big men on the team.

Two guys who probably have no future here and will be gone in 12 months time and whose playing time will come at the expense of young up and coming players.

1.) You have no idea if Lee and Amir won't be here in 12 months

2.)Their playing time comes at the expense of no one. If those "young up and coming" players were any good, they wouldn't be losing playing time.

A player being young doesn't automatically make him good.

A notion I am trying to glue into people's minds but I am not getting very far.

I with you on all points.  Ok I'll stop stalking you now.  Just refreshing to see commons sense come through once in awhile.  This blog tears down positive and applauds crap.

Cltc5, I am ready to chew some bubble gum and kick some ass ;D

I've got four packs of hubba bubba!  Bring it on! :D

« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
There has got to be another deal and I hope it is one that is shipping Lee out.

I love that Ainge traded in Wallace, a contractual "asset" for Lee, a contractual asset with some on court skill left.

I just hope that Lee is not on this roster for too long to block Sullys minutes.

And trading Sully now would be a huge mistake. Unless they see his offseason and think he is not going to imporve any.

What do you love Sully so much?

Every year he gets off to a decent start then grows about 10 assess, his conditioning becomes awful and he gets injured.

Same story every year.  Lee is a clear upgrade.

« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
A source says the Celtics & Warriors are still considering several different ways to structure the David Lee/Wallace deal. There's no rush.

A league source says the Celtics did not acquire David Lee with the intention of turning around and trading him again.

Adam himmelsbach

That's interesting. It implies that this trade doesn't necessarily need to rely on Boston using cap space. More smoke that Amir is being acquired via a S&T.

I believe Pressey or Babb could be added to Wallace's outgoing to balance salaries.

Not to derail convo, but has there been any additional news on how Bass is heading to LA?
This is the last thing I heard about the Bass signing;
Eric Pincus: If Bass is the room exception get for Lakers – no bearing on cap room, would sign after space used on Hibbert, Williams, etc.
Seems like he is the last priority for LA after Hibbert and Williams in relation to their cap space.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
So we will likely start Lee and Amir? Yikes what a bad offseason.

Because Sully and Olynyk were so much better? ???

Ainge tried to get better free agents but no one wanted to come here.

« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33:38 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
It's fascinating to watch, that with a trade which can logically be viewed as either a good, or a bad, one, the homers attacking everyone who disagrees with the "sunshine day!" side of things, all the while claiming that it's the less optimistic posters who are the problem.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #308 on: July 07, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's fascinating to watch, that with a trade which can logically be viewed as either a good, or a bad, one, the homers attacking everyone who disagrees with the "sunshine day!" side of things, all the while claiming that it's the less optimistic posters who are the problem.

I think it's because one contingent of fans tends to like things which appear to be a "win now" move, and are offended by the notion that such a move could be viewed as a "bad" thing by people who profess to be fans of the team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #309 on: July 07, 2015, 05:35:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Did the folks that don't like this deal watch the NBA finals. GSW was pretty toast until Steve Kerr remembered that he had David Lee on the bench.

I like you better when you're ranting about Doc Rivers than when you try to talk basketball.

Kerr's game winning adjustment was taking out Bogut. Addition by Subtraction. The Cavaliers didn't have a big that was worth defending, so they didn't need a big who could defend.

From what I saw, David Lee did very well in the finals for Golden State and am glad to have him in Boston

« Reply #310 on: July 07, 2015, 05:36:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I suppose I just feel like all of these intangible things like "winning culture," and "veteran influences," and building an entire roster of role players as a nice "supporting cast" --- it's all putting the cart before the horse.  All of those things have value in building a great team, but you need the core talent first.

I've been wondering lately whether Danny is consciously trying to upend that wisdom. "Build the culture and they will come." Develop the supporting cast, coaching staff and front office reputation first so that star players will want to sign here, rather than the other way around.

I don't know whether I'm right, and I know even less about whether such an approach might work. It also might be Danny's plan F, which we're on because he's struck out on plans A-D.

But at least it's a plan that could give you hope for more than a string of 44-win seasons over the next decade.

« Reply #311 on: July 07, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
There has got to be another deal and I hope it is one that is shipping Lee out.

I love that Ainge traded in Wallace, a contractual "asset" for Lee, a contractual asset with some on court skill left.

I just hope that Lee is not on this roster for too long to block Sullys minutes.

And trading Sully now would be a huge mistake. Unless they see his offseason and think he is not going to imporve any.

I disagree about Sully. His constant weight struggles are a concern and he's had 2 of his seasons end early due to injury. If you can get solid value, move him.

I agree he should be moved. But if he in fact is getting in shape, then lets see if it has an impact on his play. If he comes in early and starts playing big minutes and putting up double doubles consistently, then his value will be much higher than it is now. So I think he should be moved but later in the season.
Lee taking his minutes would ruin the ideal situation (in my opinion) laid out above.

Sully came into shape the last three seasons.

Then what happened?

As the season progressed, he got fat.

« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Once upon a time I remember people being adamant that "The Celtics are about winning championships!", "Just making the playoffs means nothing in Boston!", and "The Celtics are too good to settle for the middle of the road!"

My, how times have changed.

Celtics fans have developed the mindset of just another small-market team instead of in the club with the Lakers and Knicks, etc. No one thinks of bigtime talent anymore, we're that scrappy little team that could, our little roster of role players trying so hard to make the playoffs. Kind of sad really.

This is a franchise with the most HOFers and All-Stars in NBA history. By some crazy coincidence they also have the most championships. If I didn't know any better, I'd say there's some type of correlation between HOF and All-Star talent and championships or something. But that can't be right.

We just got done literally two seasons ago competing for championships with three HOFers and now fans are back to wanting to get out of the first round like we're the Clippers or the Bucks or something. "Oh no we can't let the great Zeller leave us!! Can't trade Avery Bradley!!"

I live in Phoenix and there is literally no difference between Suns and Celtics fans mentality-wise..

« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2015, 05:38:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
How soon can Danny trade Lee?

Doesn't matter. I'd like to keep him and trade other guys currently on the roster.

« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
How soon can Danny trade Lee?

Doesn't matter. I'd like to keep him and trade other guys currently on the roster.

He's just freaking out because his boy Mickey sinks further down the rabbit hole.