Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 83381 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #285 on: July 07, 2015, 05:21:34 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 989
Our roster in general looks much better

Guards

IT
Smart
Turner
Bradley
Rozier
Hunter
Young

Small Forwrad

Crowder

Bigs

Sully
KO
Lee
Amir
Zeller
Mickey

Nice improvement for trading an abandoned car. Hmm..next year, room for 2 maxes and a glaring need at SF and C...one can dream Durant and Horford could be sold at joining forces with IT, Smart, and Lee...

« Reply #286 on: July 07, 2015, 05:21:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I dont get it. What does GSW get out of making this deal?

They don't have to play David Lee.

Yeah, they just traded for a really good player only to not play him.

Makes a lot of sense.

Just FYI: As written, your comment implies that you think Gerald Wallace is a really good player.

When I saw the following words typed "they don't have to play David Lee", obviously I assumed you meant the Celtics don't have to play him as he now plays for the Celtics. Not sure what you and the other poster were discussing.  And no I don't think Wallace is a good player. He sucks!

So, when you read the answer "They don't have to play David Lee" to the question "What does GSW get out of this deal" you thought I was talking about Lee on the Celtics?

Just so we're clear: you claim to have chimed in devoid of context (your words) to make a snarky comment... but your snarky comment doesn't work with the limited context provided, assuming of course that you know how to read in the first place, which you must, at least in a rudimentary fashion, to be on a forum.

Good to know.  :)

My apologies. Misunderstood.

« Reply #287 on: July 07, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I always liked David Lee so I hope he is healthy. If so he would be the best player on the team and give us flexibility to trade some of the big stiffs we have.

« Reply #288 on: July 07, 2015, 05:22:39 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
For those criticizing our acquisition of two "rentals" it's worth pointing out that both are by all accounts good locker room guys coming from winning teams - in Lee's case, from a team that won a championship less than a month ago.

Even if these guys are not here all that long, they can serve as positive veteran influences on a team in desperate need of those.

Good point.  Amir won our division and Lee won a championship.  Good stuff.  I'm getting excited about our team this year.  We could surprise a lot of people.

« Reply #289 on: July 07, 2015, 05:22:44 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
David Lee and Amir Johnson should start. Two best big men on the team.

Two guys who probably have no future here and will be gone in 12 months time and whose playing time will come at the expense of young up and coming players.

1.) You have no idea if Lee and Amir won't be here in 12 months

2.)Their playing time comes at the expense of no one. If those "young up and coming" players were any good, they wouldn't be losing playing time.

A player being young doesn't automatically make him good.

A notion I am trying to glue into people's minds but I am not getting very far.

I with you on all points.  Ok I'll stop stalking you now.  Just refreshing to see commons sense come through once in awhile.  This blog tears down positive and applauds crap.

« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

What are the other options, though?

Commit to the youth movement and don't make moves unless they make sense in the context of improving the team over the next 4-5 years as opposed to the short term.

Don't depend on the stupidity or bad luck of other teams to make acquiring a star player possible.

Look to consolidate assets rather than continuing to proliferate lesser ones.

Hey, that's just my philosophy.  Clearly it's not Danny's.  We'll see how this all works out.  I'm gonna go ahead and doubt / naysay in the meantime.

This off-season so far feels like it's been driven at least in part by a desire to appease fans who got excited by the miracle run to the playoffs and would be crestfallen if the team fell back into the lottery pack.

We're not going to tank. Last year would have been the perfect year to tank as fans were somewhat resigned to it and we still couldn't do it. I mean how nice would this roster look with WCS, Turner, or Winslow on it right now? I've just come to face facts, we're not going to tank, period.

Still think this is the summer to make big moves but maybe this is just the first shoe to drop IDK. In this abysmal off-season maybe this is the best we can hope for..

« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

David Lee is a very good player.

If you don't care at all about defense, sure.

If you don't mind me asking, who in your opinion, is a good defender?

Just curious, because everyone on this blog says "he can't play defense" about LITERALLY EVERY PLAYER in the NBA.

« Reply #292 on: July 07, 2015, 05:26:03 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

Just curious, because everyone on this blog says "he can't play defense" about LITERALLY EVERY PLAYER in the NBA.
Hahaha so true! TP gpap!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2015, 05:26:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I dont get it. What does GSW get out of making this deal?

They don't have to play David Lee.

Yeah, they just traded for a really good player only to not play him.

Makes a lot of sense.

Exactly.

He's the best big we have. Not the best PF, the best big.

And if you look at his per minute averages this season, it's within his averages in his last two, when he was an All Star for one of them. He's still consistent. But sure, don't play him, right?

Unreal. We got a very good player for a bench warmer. You make room for him, not the others who hasn't proven that they are, and can be at Lee's level of talent, consistency and professionalism.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2015, 05:27:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
A source says the Celtics & Warriors are still considering several different ways to structure the David Lee/Wallace deal. There's no rush.

A league source says the Celtics did not acquire David Lee with the intention of turning around and trading him again.

Adam himmelsbach

That's interesting. It implies that this trade doesn't necessarily need to rely on Boston using cap space. More smoke that Amir is being acquired via a S&T.

I believe Pressey or Babb could be added to Wallace's outgoing to balance salaries.

Not to derail convo, but has there been any additional news on how Bass is heading to LA?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #295 on: July 07, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
For those criticizing our acquisition of two "rentals" it's worth pointing out that both are by all accounts good locker room guys coming from winning teams - in Lee's case, from a team that won a championship less than a month ago.

Even if these guys are not here all that long, they can serve as positive veteran influences on a team in desperate need of those.

Agree. One of the biggest issues in today's league is that bad teams rarely have good vets that can help teach the young guys coming up. Lee helps some one like Sully if he's willing to listen.

It's also nice to see that Lee wants to come to Boston and not some wheres else. Mean he wont sit on the bench pouting, might get back to were he was two seasons ago and help the club out.

« Reply #296 on: July 07, 2015, 05:27:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Certainly not a bad thing, just doesn't really matter that much to me.

If our young coach is really so amazing then I'm not sure the team is truly in such desperate need of positive veteran influences, in any case.

I suppose I just feel like all of these intangible things like "winning culture," and "veteran influences," and building an entire roster of role players as a nice "supporting cast" --- it's all putting the cart before the horse.  All of those things have value in building a great team, but you need the core talent first.

Until I see a way clear to getting that core talent, I'm going to be somewhere between unsatisfied and dismayed by this rebuild process.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #297 on: July 07, 2015, 05:27:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Lee has more value as a mid season trade chip than Wallace.  If some team is close to getting over the hump, Lee would be a good addition as a player and as a contract piece of the puzzle.  Not a bad move by Ainge.

Lee was acquired to help us make the playoffs, NOT some other team.

Please, let's get out of this mindset of wanting to see other teams get better.

« Reply #298 on: July 07, 2015, 05:28:11 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451

TRUTH!

« Reply #299 on: July 07, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Once upon a time I remember people being adamant that "The Celtics are about winning championships!", "Just making the playoffs means nothing in Boston!", and "The Celtics are too good to settle for the middle of the road!"

My, how times have changed.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain