Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 83171 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #270 on: July 07, 2015, 05:13:39 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1019
Is David Lee our next Jermaine O'Neal, except hopefully one who can remain healthy?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2015, 05:13:47 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Our roster in general looks much better

Guards

IT
Smart
Turner
Bradley
Rozier
Hunter
Young

Small Forwrad

Crowder

Bigs

Sully
KO
Lee
Amir
Zeller
Mickey

« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Guards

IT
Smart
Turner
Bradley
Rozier
Hunter

Small Forwrad

Crowder

Bigs

Sully
KO
Lee
Amir
Zeller
Mickey

Add in James Young to the wing position.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2015, 05:15:06 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
David Aldridge just tweeted this: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1smvmd8

David Lee's agent, Mark Bartlestein, says he and his client are happy with the trade to Boston and that Lee does not want to be re-routed elsewhere. Bartlestein: "They really like him. They pursued him for a long time. Bob Myers worked very hard with me to try and get David to a place he wanted to be. Boston is a great basketball town, great history with that franchise. It's an up and coming team. Everywhere David has been--Golden State, New York and now Boston--there has been a great basketball tradition. Every player wants to go where they can have a huge impact on a team's success."

« Reply #274 on: July 07, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Guards

IT
Smart
Turner
Bradley
Rozier
Hunter
Young

Small Forwrad

Crowder

Bigs

Sully
KO
Lee
Amir
Zeller
Mickey

Who needs wings that can play defense AND actually shoot?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2015, 05:16:08 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Three, Sacto wouldn't be willing to make a deal like that with us anyway. They centered the picks around swaps because in Sacramento's eyes, they're gonna build a competitive team around DMC. To them, the chances that Philly is better than them are really low. You gotta figure they're at least gonna be a late lottery team.

TP+  There is no way Sacto would offer that trade to Boston.  There would be far too good of a chance that they'd have to swap picks.

« Reply #276 on: July 07, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
In essence this is promising for our young players and future.  Lee and Amir are locked up short term.  DA could have signed someone to a long term deal but he stayed the course and got rid of Gerald Wallace in the interm.  Sully, KO, Zeller, Lee and Amir is a solid group of big men now to go with our solid group of guards. Having jae crowder and an assortment of guards playing SF is what we are looking at now.

And that's not a bad thing.  Adding lee, I'm ok with not having legit scoring sf or big man.  The team sets up well athletically and lee provides consistent scoring and aggression sorely lacking from our team.  It may be short term but it's worth a look.  Who knows it may pan out.  It's amazing one move has me actually more excited than the entire off season.

« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
David Lee and Amir Johnson should start. Two best big men on the team.

Two guys who probably have no future here and will be gone in 12 months time and whose playing time will come at the expense of young up and coming players.

1.) You have no idea if Lee and Amir won't be here in 12 months

2.)Their playing time comes at the expense of no one. If those "young up and coming" players were any good, they wouldn't be losing playing time.

A player being young doesn't automatically make him good.

A notion I am trying to glue into people's minds but I am not getting very far.

« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2015, 05:17:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I dont get it. What does GSW get out of making this deal?

They don't have to play David Lee.

Yeah, they just traded for a really good player only to not play him.

Makes a lot of sense.

Just FYI: As written, your comment implies that you think Gerald Wallace is a really good player.

When I saw the following words typed "they don't have to play David Lee", obviously I assumed you meant the Celtics don't have to play him as he now plays for the Celtics. Not sure what you and the other poster were discussing.  And no I don't think Wallace is a good player. He sucks!

So, when you read the answer "They don't have to play David Lee" to the question "What does GSW get out of this deal" you thought I was talking about Lee on the Celtics?

Just so we're clear: you claim to have chimed in devoid of context (your words) to make a snarky comment... but your snarky comment doesn't work with the limited context provided, assuming of course that you know how to read in the first place, which you must, at least in a rudimentary fashion, to be on a forum.

Good to know.  :)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #279 on: July 07, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Adding to my previous posts, I also agree with those who say that Johnson and Lee could make a great pair—Johnson covering for Lee's defensive lapses, and Lee taking other bigs to school in the post.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2015, 05:18:43 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
David Aldridge just tweeted this: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1smvmd8

David Lee's agent, Mark Bartlestein, says he and his client are happy with the trade to Boston and that Lee does not want to be re-routed elsewhere. Bartlestein: "They really like him. They pursued him for a long time. Bob Myers worked very hard with me to try and get David to a place he wanted to be. Boston is a great basketball town, great history with that franchise. It's an up and coming team. Everywhere David has been--Golden State, New York and now Boston--there has been a great basketball tradition. Every player wants to go where they can have a huge impact on a team's success."

Really great to see.  Welcome mr lee!

« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
We are definately a plus 500 team.

« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2015, 05:20:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Good move. If Lee proves nothing on the court, his financial value in a trade is greater than that of Wallace's. If he does, we may have a veteran big who can score and rebound, won't cause trouble, and is on an expiring to flip for future picks this trading deadline.

Or here's a foreign concept.

Maybe keeping Lee so he can help US make the playoffs.

I say foreign concept because everyone here for some dumb reason right away seems resigned to miss the playoffs and play for draft picks.

« Reply #283 on: July 07, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

What are the other options, though?

Commit to the youth movement and don't make moves unless they make sense in the context of improving the team over the next 4-5 years as opposed to the short term.

Don't depend on the stupidity or bad luck of other teams to make acquiring a star player possible.

Look to consolidate assets rather than continuing to proliferate lesser ones.

Hey, that's just my philosophy.  Clearly it's not Danny's.  We'll see how this all works out.  I'm gonna go ahead and doubt / naysay in the meantime.

This off-season so far feels like it's been driven at least in part by a desire to appease fans who got excited by the miracle run to the playoffs and would be crestfallen if the team fell back into the lottery pack.

Lee makes us better today, and after the season he expires hust like Wallace would have.  This does nothing to harm the youth movement or the 4-5 year plan.

People should have learnt by now - brad Stevens isn't doc rivers.  He doesnt insist on a hard and fast rule that veterans need to play over young guys.  He makes guys work and compete, and he gives minutes to whoever earns it.

« Reply #284 on: July 07, 2015, 05:21:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
For those criticizing our acquisition of two "rentals" it's worth pointing out that both are by all accounts good locker room guys coming from winning teams - in Lee's case, from a team that won a championship less than a month ago.

Even if these guys are not here all that long, they can serve as positive veteran influences on a team in desperate need of those.