Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 83380 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
Great deal, depending on their intentions.  Seems like a guy you can let rebuild value in the first half of the season and then flip him to a team that thinks it can make a run.  ...or to a team looking to punt the season and shed some longer-term salary.

Not seeing the negative. If he proves himself an asset and helps you win games, trade him - somebody will want a big at the deadline.  If he doesn't… Then you wait for him to expire and you guys get your ping pong ball.

The only way I'd be unhappy with this deal is if they actually try to make a playoff run with him.  But I kind of doubt that's the case.
This.

There is no negative. If he's no good, then he sits on the bench and the contract expires and he exists as a Gerald Wallace placeholder. If he contributes, then flip him for an assett mid-season and Danny basically got something for Gerald Wallace, whose days of contributing to meaningful basketball games is over.

The other nice thing: if Lee comes back strong and is able to average something like 15-7, the Celtics can reinforce an image of a team that makes its players look good. That's meaningful.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2015, 06:10:53 PM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
I always see the same line after every move Danny makes,

"we have too many power forwards right now surely this means another trade is going to happen"

Everyone always thinks that [dang]y already has 5 trades planned out ahead...but I don't rhink it's like that. He just saw a bargain trade that was available and he took it.

« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
We just traded a guy who literally can't play in the NBA for a player that can start for us and will lead the team in rebounding.

Naturally, more than half the posters on this board are devastated.   

Lol yep

Lol...that about sums it up. Lee will likely lead the team in rebounding and scoring, and gives us a legit inside scorer that people have been asking for, and all we gave up was the malcontent carcass of Wallace, and half the board is up in arms. That is now 3-4 great players Ainge has acquired for free in Lee, Turner, Thomas, and Zeller, and we still have almost all of our picks and prospects to use. How can people still complain?

« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
I was sure the Knicks were going to get Lee after they missed out on all the top tier big men. They are missing out on literally everyone this summer. It's an added bonus that we screw them over by taking him ourselves.

« Reply #334 on: July 07, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
i feel that in the back of Danny's mind, he's gotta be thinking KO and Sully arent panning out at a amazing rate. And he needs to have alternatives shall that happen

Hes experimenting with  a core of bout 7-8 players 25 and under.

Hes got players like IT,ET and now Lee and Johnson who wan to prove their value

With the exclusion of Al Jefferson. I dont remeber the last time a Elite player signed to a team of jus raw young  talent.

« Reply #335 on: July 07, 2015, 06:14:21 PM »

Offline Old Wine

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
Reading between lines. What really comes to my mind is that the lard bucket (JS) has not drop an oz. Danny is just ahead of what's to come. Send home that pile of lard and lets keep moving forward. Danny hasn't been able to move his contract. His been trying since June 2014 and nobody has offered at least a 2nd rounder.

« Reply #336 on: July 07, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
We just traded a guy who literally can't play in the NBA for a player that can start for us and will lead the team in rebounding.

Lol yep

Lol...that about sums it up. Lee will likely lead the team in rebounding and scoring, and gives us a legit inside scorer that people have been asking for, and all we gave up was the malcontent carcass of Wallace, and half the board is up in arms. That is now 3-4 great players Ainge has acquired for free in Lee, Turner, Thomas, and Zeller, and we still have almost all of our picks and prospects to use. How can people still complain?

L Lee will likely lead the team in rebounding and scoring, and gives us a legit inside scorer that people have been asking for, and all we gave up was the malcontent carcass of Wallace, and half the board is up in arms. That is now 3-4 great players Ainge has acquired for free in Lee, Turner, Thomas, and Zeller, and we still have almost all of our picks and prospects to use.

That is now 3-4 great players Ainge has acquired for free in Lee, Turner, Thomas, and Zeller, and we still have almost all of our picks and prospects to use.

That is now 3-4 great players Ainge has acquired for free in Lee, Turner, Thomas, and Zeller,

great players    Lee, Turner, Thomas, and Zeller,
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #337 on: July 07, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »

Offline M.A.

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
I rather like this acquisition. I have a lot of respect for David Lee, and I think he can make a positive influence with the Celtics. The Celtics (as is well documented) certainly needed more depth at the 4 and 5, and Lee provides that depth. He's an intelligent basketball player, and even though Wallace will certainly be missed in the locker room, Lee is the perfect individual to fill his place. I understand people want an all-star-esque individual but those players are likely to be unavailable to the Celtics at this moment in time. I believe the rational Celtics fan should be happy about this move, as it directly helps to balance the roster.

« Reply #338 on: July 07, 2015, 06:15:49 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn

i feel that in the back of Danny's mind, he's gotta be thinking KO and Sully arent panning out at a amazing rate. And he needs to have alternatives shall that happen

Hes experimenting with  a core of bout 7-8 players 25 and under.

Hes got players like IT,ET and now Lee who wan to prove theirselves

With the exclusion of Al Jefferson. I dont remeber the last time a Elite player signed to a team of jus raw young  talent.

Bingo. And Big Al has never been 'elite' either. If we want to get a top level player or two to come here via trade or free agency at some point, we need good vets for them to play with, not rookies and second year players.

« Reply #339 on: July 07, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I rather like this acquisition. I have a lot of respect for David Lee, and I think he can make a positive influence with the Celtics. The Celtics (as is well documented) certainly needed more depth at the 4 and 5, and Lee provides that depth. He's an intelligent basketball player, and even though Wallace will certainly be missed in the locker room, Lee is the perfect individual to fill his place. I understand people want an all-star-esque individual but those players are likely to be unavailable to the Celtics at this moment in time. I believe the rational Celtics fan should be happy about this move, as it directly helps to balance the roster.
A starter on an expiring contract replaces a bloated contract sitting on the bench. Irrespective of the players, that's a winning outcome.

« Reply #340 on: July 07, 2015, 06:21:56 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
BAAARFF.

Very insightful.  That added a lot to the debate.   :-X
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #341 on: July 07, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Ainge days indeed!  Another great heist.

We get a productive player and get rid of the Crash contract that has been an albatross around the Celtics neck.

ROFL
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #342 on: July 07, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

Stop making sense. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #343 on: July 07, 2015, 06:27:05 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
It's fascinating to watch, that with a trade which can logically be viewed as either a good, or a bad, one, the homers attacking everyone who disagrees with the "sunshine day!" side of things, all the while claiming that it's the less optimistic posters who are the problem.

I think it's because one contingent of fans tends to like things which appear to be a "win now" move, and are offended by the notion that such a move could be viewed as a "bad" thing by people who profess to be fans of the team.

I would just want to know how trading one player for a better player who has a better expiring contract could be considered to be a bad thing on any planet.  I could understand if we gave up a pick or a promising young player like Sully or Olynyk, but we basically gave up NOTHING. 

« Reply #344 on: July 07, 2015, 06:27:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's fascinating to watch, that with a trade which can logically be viewed as either a good, or a bad, one, the homers attacking everyone who disagrees with the "sunshine day!" side of things, all the while claiming that it's the less optimistic posters who are the problem.

I think it's because one contingent of fans tends to like things which appear to be a "win now" move, and are offended by the notion that such a move could be viewed as a "bad" thing by people who profess to be fans of the team.

I would just want to know how trading one player for a better player who has a better expiring contract could be considered to be a bad thing on any planet.  I could understand if we gave up a pick or a promising young player like Sully or Olynyk, but we basically gave up NOTHING.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.