Author Topic: CSNNE: C's still interested in Embiid, could trade up to get him  (Read 10095 times)

Re: CSNNE: C's still interested in Embiid, could trade up to get him
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 09:01:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
mock drafts like ESPN/Ford and DraftExpress have Embiid sliding to 4, but fans on ORL site don't seem to want him, and think management would not want to take risk, pointing out that they passed on Noel last year due to injury less serious last year.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 892
I would actually try to do just the opposite if he falls to us.  Offer Embiid to Sac for their pick and maybe McLemore, if they would do it.  We just can't afford to swing and miss on this pick and Embiid now has 2 strikes against him.  He still might be a home run or a strike out.  Drafting is risky enough as it is without picking a player with 2 potentially serious injuries.

I know it is tough to not get excited about that much potential but I think passing is the sober thing to do.
If he goes to the Lakers and becomes the next great big man..... I would be irate!

It could happen, no doubt but he could also go the Lakers and be a total flop.  How would that make you feel especially of Gordon and who ever else we might get turn out to be good.

I actually think I would feel less worse (less regret) if Embiid ended up a great player for the Lakers than he we pick him and he busts (assuming who we get in his place turns out to be at least good).  Every action that could be taken has risk of regret.  The best you can do is strive to minimize regret.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:13:10 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 09:09:25 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I wonder if we could offer the 6th pick and a conditional pick.  The conditional pick would be based on the number of games he plays.  If he plays x number of games over the next two seasons, we send out a Brooklyn first round pick.  That would reduce the risk for the Celtics and the other team would still get at least the 6th pick and another first if Embiid stays healthy.

Someone with a better understanding of the CBA will probably shoot this idea down.  :)

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 10:00:46 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Oh God! I don't know what I would do right now. The foot is fixable same thing Jordan had early in his career and Dustin Pedroia had it recently. I would have to know what the back issue was, that would be my biggest concern.

I'm usually the first one to say avoid injury prone players no matter what and right now Embiid looks injury prone.

I'd prefer Love without question.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Anyone think Utah may take a chance on him?

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I would actually try to do just the opposite if he falls to us.  Offer Embiid to Sac for their pick and maybe McLemore, if they would do it.  We just can't afford to swing and miss on this pick and Embiid now has 2 strikes against him.  He still might be a home run or a strike out.  Drafting is risky enough as it is without picking a player with 2 potentially serious injuries.

I know it is tough to not get excited about that much potential but I think passing is the sober thing to do.
If he goes to the Lakers and becomes the next great big man..... I would be irate!

You know, sad to say, but this may factor into the decision on whether or not to draft him if he falls to sixth.  At least in the back of Danny's mind...as a Celtic, the thought of doing anything or NOT doing anything that benefits the Lakers is against his nature.  It's like fingernails on a blackboard!

:D

Rak

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 10:21:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Anyone think Utah may take a chance on him?

They might. They seem like a pretty rudderless franchise.

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 10:22:14 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
A big man who's been hurt twice already makes me a little nervous. If he's available then I suppose we should take a chance. I'd rather have Love.

Embiid was already a scary little Oden-like gamble. If this development knocks him down to our draft spot, I consider that more of a curse than an opportunity. Nonetheless, I think we'd have to take the chance like you say.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

You know, sad to say, but this may factor into the decision on whether or not to draft him if he falls to sixth.  At least in the back of Danny's mind...as a Celtic, the thought of doing anything or NOT doing anything that benefits the Lakers is against his nature.  It's like fingernails on a blackboard!

:D

Rak

Didn't the Celtics and Sixers in the 80s purposely draft players that the other team was high on?  I thought I read that somewhere.

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Oh God! I don't know what I would do right now. The foot is fixable same thing Jordan had early in his career and Dustin Pedroia had it recently. I would have to know what the back issue was, that would be my biggest concern.

I'm usually the first one to say avoid injury prone players no matter what and right now Embiid looks injury prone.

I'd prefer Love without question.

That actually would make me feel better about taking Embiid, because the procedure isn't something radically new that could go either way, and athletes who have undergone such an operation came out of it as good as new.  Yay  :)

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 10:35:34 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I say do whatever it takes to get him if we can.  This guy's a potential Hall of Famer if he stays healthy, you don't pass on that for the likes of Aaron Gordon.  If we have to trade up to 4 to leapfrog the Jazz I'm OK with that. We could essentially do what the 76ers did with Noel; draft him and sit him a year, suck next season, and pick up another stud next year.

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 10:38:03 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101

The sad thing is we threw this season for this pick. So if we get Embiid and he ends up being injury prone forever, it was a waste. We know DA is a gambler though. I would bet money he does it: gets Embiid

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 10:39:06 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
If the Magic decide that Smart is their man over Exum (or if Exum would be off the board) they might trade #4 to us for #6 and a future 1st ('16 or '18 BKN would be valuable).

Personally if we have any chance to get Embiid I hope we take it. My guess is that Cleveland trades #1 overall to Philly for #3 and #10. Once Cleveland takes Exum (and trades Waiters) the Magic will default to Smart. Since the Jazz and Smart aren't on speaking terms Orlando might roll the dice on giving us their #4 for #6 and a future 1st.

Philly - Wiggins
Bucks - Parker
Cleveland - Exum
Celtics - Embiid
Jazz - Vonleh
Orlando - Smart

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
get em danny

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Reading tea leaves but if Cleveland trades back to #5 can you just imagine them drafting Embiid and him becoming the next Oden? LOL ;D ;D ;D