Author Topic: Today in Nets' Disasters: Lawrence Frank Let Go  (Read 20597 times)

Re: Today in Nets' Disasters: Lawrence Frank Let Go
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 10:33:17 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Kidd being named the coach when there were so many legit top notch coaches out there was the first sign the Nets had no idea what they were doing. Sure, getting Kidd as the coach is fine...if you're not a championship-or-bust team. Now, getting rid of one of the better assistants in the game? I think the Nets are making it up as they go along, and that's a recipe for disaster for a team that was supposed to contend with the Heat and Pacers.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Kidd being named the coach when there were so many legit top notch coaches out there was the first sign the Nets had no idea what they were doing. Sure, getting Kidd as the coach is fine...if you're not a championship-or-bust team. Now, getting rid of one of the better assistants in the game? I think the Nets are making it up as they go along, and that's a recipe for disaster for a team that was supposed to contend with the Heat and Pacers.

I think that hindsight proves this to be true more than the premise. If Garnett and Pierce looked better, if Deron Williams and Brook Lopez were both healthy, and the Nets were 14-6, people would be talking about how smart the Kidd hiring was for the same reasons they were saying it before the season. There were a lot of reasons why it could work. Established locker room leaders, competent assistants...but when your top 2 players are in and out of the lineup and 2 of your next 3 best players are looking like shells of the guys you thought you were getting...well it's kind of hard for any coach to succeed. Would Jerry Sloan have done any better? I doubt it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 10:49:30 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
What happens if the Nets go on a tear similar to the one they had last year, when Avery Johnson was let go?

Do we have to admit that it was the right move?

No danger of that as they were destroyed today.

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
i liked lawrence frank when he was with us. our defense was killer

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 10:56:08 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
kidd will be fired january-february if this BKN trend continues. maybe they can hire lionel hollins or george karl then. i just don't see them turning this around unless dwill from utah returns.

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
really big fiasco right now. flaming fiasco. can't wait to see more of it. blatche is their best player!!!

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I think that hindsight proves this to be true more than the premise. If Garnett and Pierce looked better, if Deron Williams and Brook Lopez were both healthy, and the Nets were 14-6, people would be talking about how smart the Kidd hiring was for the same reasons they were saying it before the season. There were a lot of reasons why it could work. Established locker room leaders, competent assistants...but when your top 2 players are in and out of the lineup and 2 of your next 3 best players are looking like shells of the guys you thought you were getting...well it's kind of hard for any coach to succeed. Would Jerry Sloan have done any better? I doubt it.

I disagree.

If Jason Kidd looked like he actually had some type of control or competence, people wouldn't be so harsh on him. He looks like he's in way over his head: that team doesn't run any sort of system or have any discernable philosophies in place, they can't even make adequate adjustments in game or during halftime. It's just brutal to watch.

All teams deal with injuries, but a good coach can keep his guys engaged. Its not like they go out & compete and are overmatched, they have no fight in them - it's almost as if they don't care.

As far as the Frank firing, this wreaks of Kidd being insecure. Frank already had experience coaching KG and Pierce from the time he was part of Doc's staff, I could definitely see a scenario where some of the vets may have trusted Frank a bit more. Instead of using that to his advantage, KIdd took it as a threat.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I disagree.

If Jason Kidd looked like he actually had some type of control or competence, people wouldn't be so harsh on him. He looks like he's in way over his head: that team doesn't run any sort of system or have any discernable philosophies in place, they can't even make adequate adjustments in game or during halftime. It's just brutal to watch.

All teams deal with injuries, but a good coach can keep his guys engaged. Its not like they go out & compete and are overmatched, they have no fight in them - it's almost as if they don't care.

As far as the Frank firing, this wreaks of Kidd being insecure. Frank already had experience coaching KG and Pierce from the time he was part of Doc's staff, I could definitely see a scenario where some of the vets may have trusted Frank a bit more. Instead of using that to his advantage, KIdd took it as a threat.

I'm not saying Kidds done a good job or anything, just that their current situation is more a product of Pierce/Garnett's underwhelming start, And Williams/Kirelinko/Lopez's injuries. Without those 5 guys at full capacity they're not a very good team.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 11:58:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1019
Kidd is coaching a bunch of prima donnas, and he is one himself too.

He'll be gone by January.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 12:10:44 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I disagree.

Everyone was calling for Spoelstra's head when the Heat got off to a bad start in 2011. It's possible the problem with the Nets is injuries, it's also possible that their age/athleticism is an issue. Coaching won't do a ton to fix either issue.

Not saying Kidd's a good coach, just that having a different coach might not help as much as people think.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 12:14:15 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Not saying Kidd's a good coach, just that having a different coach might not help as much as people think.
Well, that's a big caveat, since Spo is actually a really good coach.

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:31 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
What happens if the Nets go on a tear similar to the one they had last year, when Avery Johnson was let go?

Do we have to admit that it was the right move?

No danger of that as they were destroyed today.

Right, and as of now we're the 4th seed in the East.

Sometimes I sincerely wish that NBA information was only available twice a month until somewhere between Christmas and the All-Star break.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 01:01:57 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
  Everyone was calling for Spoelstra's head when the Heat got off to a bad start in 2011. It's possible the problem with the Nets is injuries, it's also possible that their age/athleticism is an issue. Coaching won't do a ton to fix either issue.

I agree. It is early and there have been a lot of injuries. Kidd is doing nothing to disprove those who said he isn't ready, but it is too early to say the issue is settled.

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 01:38:49 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Kidd is doing nothing to disprove those who said he isn't ready, but it is too early to say the issue is settled.

Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 06:40:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Well, that's a big caveat, since Spo is actually a really good coach.

But he certainly wasn't seen as one when the Heat didn't crush the league from the get-go.