Author Topic: Fire Ainge!  (Read 30316 times)

Re: Fire Ainge!
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Ainge has done a good job.

5 first round draft choices in the next two years.
Not gonna happen. Everybody is tanking hard this year. Right now we are tenth from the bottom. Looks like we have the worst of all possible worlds. Not good enough to enter playoffs, not bad enough to get a high draft pick.
http://www.tankathon.com/

This is a pessimistic way of looking at things. We have a young team that iis only going to get better and on multiple draft picks from a team that has a high probability of regressing over the next couple years. I would say were in pretty good shape and that Ainge deserves a lot of credit.
Yo man! You just gave me a good one for the tanking euphemism book.

You're a season to late, Greece.  You would have loved it around here last year.
Something tells me there ll be plenty of opportunities this year too.

The team's final record is obviously still way up in the air, but I can almost guarantee, based on the early season vibe around here, that the overall tank spirit will never be as strong as it was last season. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If this deal doesn't go down its just another one of the many swings and misses in the career of Danny Ainge during the Big 3 era. Trading Brooks for JJJ, Trading Perk for Jeff Green, drafting J.R. Giddings. Not moving Ray for Mayo and a 1st at the 2011 deadline. Now trying to get too cute with the Clippers and holding them up for a top 15-20 coach that is severely overrated and a washed up future HOFer in KG. A few other swings and misses are Lee, Bradley, Sheed, oh and Brandon Bass' amazing contract. He really isn't a good GM and the only reason him and Rivers had a job after 2007 was due to the fact "Kevin" was his buddy in Minnesota. Oh not to mention that he held onto Rondo way too long and now the guy has zero trade value due to his injury.
Have you seen Mayo the past two years? And he would have been a free agent after the trade. The pick would have been nice for rebuilding, but we weren't yet fully in blow it up mode yet. Ray was still a better player.

And where is Marshon these days? Milan? Marshon versus JJJ was a wash.

There is some serious confirmation bias going on when you just cherry pick moves you don't like, most of which are highly debatable.

Sheed was a great pickup for us. He almost single-handedly won game 6 for us in the finals.

And the trade value problem with Rondo is not due to injury. It is due to the number of excellent PGs in the league right now, especially on competitive teams, and due to his pending UFA status. Teams desperate for Rondo like LA or NY have nothing of value to offer. Houston looks like the most interesting destination, but is there anything we want now that Parsons has walked?

The Rondo trade issue is not an issue though if he decides to re-sign.

The Giddens pick was horrible considering the consensus view that it was an ill-advised reach.

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Not gonna happen. Everybody is tanking hard this year. Right now we are tenth from the bottom. Looks like we have the worst of all possible worlds. Not good enough to enter playoffs, not bad enough to get a high draft pick.

This is a pessimistic way of looking at things. We have a young team that iis only going to get better and on multiple draft picks from a team that has a high probability of regressing over the next couple years. I would say were in pretty good shape and that Ainge deserves a lot of credit.

You're a season to late, Greece.  You would have loved it around here last year.

The team's final record is obviously still way up in the air, but I can almost guarantee, based on the early season vibe around here, that the overall tank spirit will never be as strong as it was last season.

That's because last year's draft was full of  franchise cornerstones.

« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

That's sarcasm right?  ;)

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2014, 02:15:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

By me? Yes. By the people who spent most of last year trying to convince people of that? Not so much.

« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

By me? Yes. By the people who spent most of last year trying to convince people of that? Not so much.

I'm happy to revisit that comment in 5 years.

« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I'm happy to revisit that comment in 5 years.

Go for it.

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
If this deal doesn't go down its just another one of the many swings and misses in the career of Danny Ainge during the Big 3 era. Trading Brooks for JJJ, Trading Perk for Jeff Green, drafting J.R. Giddings. Not moving Ray for Mayo and a 1st at the 2011 deadline. Now trying to get too cute with the Clippers and holding them up for a top 15-20 coach that is severely overrated and a washed up future HOFer in KG. A few other swings and misses are Lee, Bradley, Sheed, oh and Brandon Bass' amazing contract. He really isn't a good GM and the only reason him and Rivers had a job after 2007 was due to the fact "Kevin" was his buddy in Minnesota. Oh not to mention that he held onto Rondo way too long and now the guy has zero trade value due to his injury.

Maybe you should tell the board what you really think.
of the mental institution?

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2014, 03:58:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
year 2 of a 3-5 year rebuild plan that may or may not work.  Gotta tank for a few more years until we can really start giving up on Ainge.

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
year 2 of a 3-5 year rebuild plan that may or may not work.  Gotta tank for a few more years until we can really start giving up on Ainge.
My man!
The problem with this year is that so many teams are tanking we might actually be forced in the playoffs against our will.

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2014, 04:25:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
My man!
The problem with this year is that so many teams are tanking we might actually be forced in the playoffs against our will.

The other problem is that tanking is generally defined as a team having a bad record, regardless of the circumstances that led them to that point.

« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
My man!

The other problem is that tanking is generally defined as a team having a bad record, regardless of the circumstances that led them to that point.
Does trading your best players for draft picks qualify as tanking?

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
My man!

You mean our best players who are 37 and 38 years old, respectively, and are now solid role players on their current teams?

Personally, I was against trading them away for sentimentality's sake, but, I realize we weren't winning any more titles with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett as our top dogs. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
My man!

You mean our best players who are 37 and 38 years old, respectively, and are now solid role players on their current teams?

Personally, I was against trading them away for sentimentality's sake, but, I realize we weren't winning any more titles with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett as our top dogs.
Remember those Rondo for Gasol rumors from 2012? 

Gotta wonder what would have happened had we gone through with that and kept KG and Pierce.  Kinda interesting to think about.

Our long-term future looks better now, but that have been interesting had Gasol stayed healthy in Boston.

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2014, 05:07:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
My man!

Sure, but it did not help our winning record either.
Anyway, back to your original point, unfortunately  we do not get any extra points for doing it on a plan (which will hopefully bring us back to contention) as opposed to the Pistons who simply stink. Mr Silver, are you listening?