Author Topic: Fire Ainge!  (Read 30342 times)

Re: Fire Ainge!
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If the team is still crud in two years time I would consider this. Why is Brandon Bass on this team for instance? He should of been gone a year ago. The roster is also constructed horribly. Any Centers on the roster? Nope. Im fine with deveeloping players but you cant develop them when you have your young powerforwards playing center.

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Ainge is the only reason I have confidence that the Celtics will eventually get out of mediocrity.

This.  The Celtics would have to be complete fools to get rid of Ainge.  Luckily Wyc and company are not fools.

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If this deal doesn't go down its just another one of the many swings and misses in the career of Danny Ainge during the Big 3 era. Trading Brooks for JJJ, Trading Perk for Jeff Green, drafting J.R. Giddings. Not moving Ray for Mayo and a 1st at the 2011 deadline. Now trying to get too cute with the Clippers and holding them up for a top 15-20 coach that is severely overrated and a washed up future HOFer in KG. A few other swings and misses are Lee, Bradley, Sheed, oh and Brandon Bass' amazing contract. He really isn't a good GM and the only reason him and Rivers had a job after 2007 was due to the fact "Kevin" was his buddy in Minnesota. Oh not to mention that he held onto Rondo way too long and now the guy has zero trade value due to his injury.

You honestly wanted OJ Mayo over Ray Allen? :o  I don't like Danny, either, but that's just nuts lol.  That deal didn't go through because KG and Pierce stepped in and said that Ray needed to be here, or something like that.  Or was that the previous year when Ainge tried to trade Ray for Tyreke Evans, or was it the time when he tried to trade Ray for James Harden?  He tried to trade Ray so many times that I can't even remember anymore, but Pierce and KG prevented those deals from going through, iirc, and, even though he was treated like crap by Danny, I still think that Ray should have stayed, if for no other reason than to reciprocate that same loyalty to his teammates, as well as the fans, but I guess not.  Sigh.

TP. amen, brother... Been saying the loyalty reciprocity thing since Judas betrayed his brothers.....it obviously wasn't for the $$$ that he defected (and not for the rings, that's what the Judas sympathizers always proffer as an excuse)......it was about anger and spite to Ainge and Rondo and Doc....his brothers (KG and PP) and loyalty be [dang]ed

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
My feelings have not changed. Danny Ainge needs to be canned. He swung and missed continuously in the draft andlast night showed why Danny should not ignore foreign players.

You're flat wrong.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=73940.msg1750079#msg1750079

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=65996.msg1502985#msg1502985

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I think I'll save the Fire Ainge vitriol until I see if he's dumb enough to pay max money for a point guard who can only manage minimal impact against one of the worst teams in the league.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
My feelings have not changed. Danny Ainge needs to be canned. He swung and missed continuously in the draft andlast night showed why Danny should not ignore foreign players.

You're flat wrong.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=73940.msg1750079#msg1750079

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=65996.msg1502985#msg1502985

Sorry for commenting on that last thread, there, poopsie ;) ;D.

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
DA should have been fired long time ago for catastrophic money management. Financially speaking he is a totally incompetent.
Facts: Giving PP at age of 35, 15mill/year and giving KG at age of 36 12mill/year, leaving to go Ray for zero money and reducing the salary management in a wrong way where is does not know how to resolve this rebus he created. No anybody has analyzed poor money management he made and as consequence this team is in a critical financial situation almost impossible to see the future and built the future. PP case is only the top of iceberg.
I do not wanna talk about PP and KG trades or strategies for developing the team...

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Ainge has done a good job.

5 first round draft choices in the next two years.

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2014, 10:39:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
One thing stop throwing the Perk trade for the case DA is a bad GM argument. Right now Green is better than Perk.

the reason I remain angry about the Perk trade is the fact that Danny destroyed that team's chemistry and identity and cost us a great shot at #18 that year.

many people on this board simply don't understand the game well enough to know that stats are not everything.

TP. Probably the most insightful post I've read here. There's no other way to sum it up. /thread, pack it in.

Other key points to take away: McHale handed Ainge KG/championship; Rondo and Perk were great draft selections in that they were paired with 3 HOFers (major reason Bradley developed as he did too), a great coach, and the best "culture" in the NBA at the time; Ray left because Ainge dangled them all at every trade deadline; if the first two points are true (which they are), Ainge has done NOTHING for this organization in his tenure.

Edit, I'll finish: We won a long-awaited championship when Ainge was here. Yay. We should've won more. But I won't argue that, we did... so if that is the basis upon which we are judging him, and we want to celebrate that aspect, we can simply say Ainge/McHale gave us a good run.

While I understand your view on that, McHale addressed it not too long ago -

Kevin McHale: Andrew Bynum To Timberwolves, Kevin Garnett to Lakers Nearly Happened in 2007

The Los Angeles Lakers could have featured an All-Star tandem of Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett should the Minnesota Timberwolves accepted Andrew Bynum as the centerpiece of the blockbuster trade in 2007, former Minnesota Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale revealed in an interview with Boston Herald on Sunday.

McHale, who is now serving as the head coach for the Houston Rockets, very much remembered the day when Garnett nearly dealt to the Lakers in exchange for Bynum, who is considered a prodigy back then.

"The two offers were (Lakers center) Andrew Bynum, and I was afraid of his knees, and Big Al - and then some draft choices and other throw-ins and stuff like that," McHale said of the trade offers presented by the Lakers and the Celtics.

McHale admitted that he was intrigued by Bynum because of his enormous potential as a dominant center. However, he ultimately picked the Celtics' offer consists of Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and two first-round picks because of fear that Bynum's knee won't hold up that long.

"I liked Andrew Bynum as a player. I liked Al, because he was a better scorer, but when you looked at Bynum, I was just so afraid of his knees and all the stuff that goes with that," McHale explained his decision.

Garnett could have played in purple and gold jersey if McHale decided to pick Bynum over Jefferson. Instead, the Celtics got the Big Ticket and went on to form one of the best triumvirates (Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce) the league has ever seen.

The Celtics reached the NBA Finals twice and won a championship with Garnett serving as the anchor of their defense. On the other hand, the Lakers bounced back pretty well after missing on the Garnett sweepstakes after they traded for Pau Gasol, who helped the franchise win NBA titles in 2009 and 2010.

But after unexpected turn of events, both the Lakers and the Celtics are suddenly in a rebuilding mode with still uncertain future for both proud NBA franchises.

http://www.nbaarena.com/en/news/5741/kevin-mchale-andrew-bynum-to-timberwolves-kevin-garnett-to-lakers-nearly-happened-in-2007

I know it's not the greatest article in the world, but the one from the Boston Herald has been archived, so I couldn't get it.

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2676
  • bammokja
My feelings have not changed. Danny Ainge needs to be canned. He swung and missed continuously in the draft andlast night showed why Danny should not ignore foreign players. Greek Freak, Schroeder take your pick,. Both would have been much better options than KO. Marcus Banks 2.0 is a bust too. Hung onto Rondo way too long and now the best Ainge can get for a valuable role player is a 2nd round pick. He hung onto Bass and Jeff Green. Gave Avery Bradley an insane contract. Clearly he is overmatched as a GM and needs to go back to the TNT booth. Bring in a GM committed to tanking and build this team the right way regardless of a players citizenship. Ainge has never drafted a foreign player and his bias has cost him some excellent players.
tonight...

tonight olly = 26:46 min; 20 pts; 8-13 shooting; 7 rbs; 3 asts; 3 blocks

tonight antetokounmpo = 18.23 min; 3 pts; 1-4 shooting; 5 rbs; 5 assts

or....

Schröder for the season = 8.8 pts; 1.7 rbs; 2.9 asts; 0.8 steals; 20% 3pt shooting.

olly for the season = 10.2 pts; 5.5 rbs; 2 asts; 1.1 steals; 41.7% 3 pt shooting.

i dont see the basis for being livid over ainge's choice of olly to Schröder.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2014, 11:10:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
DA should have been fired long time ago for catastrophic money management. Financially speaking he is a totally incompetent.
Facts: Giving PP at age of 35, 15mill/year and giving KG at age of 36 12mill/year, leaving to go Ray for zero money and reducing the salary management in a wrong way where is does not know how to resolve this rebus he created. No anybody has analyzed poor money management he made and as consequence this team is in a critical financial situation almost impossible to see the future and built the future. PP case is only the top of iceberg.
I do not wanna talk about PP and KG trades or strategies for developing the team...

The Paul Pierce contract wasn't bad money management, it was the opposite. He opted out of a contract paying him $22M when he signed the deal. When you consider how much they saved on that  first year the contract was a bargain.

« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
At least with threads like this, the ones about Stevens (what a coincidence eugen is very present in both...), and all the rondo hate threads, I know that it is a universal sports thing that fans are not the smartest group of people out there.

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2676
  • bammokja
At least with threads like this, the ones about Stevens (what a coincidence eugen is very present in both...), and all the rondo hate threads, I know that it is a universal sports thing that fans are not the smartest group of people out there.
this thread was a poorly conceived and argued piece of over reaction 1 and 1/2 years ago and remains so today.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2014, 03:43:05 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
My feelings have not changed. Danny Ainge needs to be canned. He swung and missed continuously in the draft andlast night showed why Danny should not ignore foreign players. Greek Freak, Schroeder take your pick,. Both would have been much better options than KO. Marcus Banks 2.0 is a bust too. Hung onto Rondo way too long and now the best Ainge can get for a valuable role player is a 2nd round pick. He hung onto Bass and Jeff Green. Gave Avery Bradley an insane contract. Clearly he is overmatched as a GM and needs to go back to the TNT booth. Bring in a GM committed to tanking and build this team the right way regardless of a players citizenship. Ainge has never drafted a foreign player and his bias has cost him some excellent players.
tonight...

tonight olly = 26:46 min; 20 pts; 8-13 shooting; 7 rbs; 3 asts; 3 blocks

tonight antetokounmpo = 18.23 min; 3 pts; 1-4 shooting; 5 rbs; 5 assts

or....

Schröder for the season = 8.8 pts; 1.7 rbs; 2.9 asts; 0.8 steals; 20% 3pt shooting.

olly for the season = 10.2 pts; 5.5 rbs; 2 asts; 1.1 steals; 41.7% 3 pt shooting.

i dont see the basis for being livid over ainge's choice of olly to Schröder.

I would've considered Greek Freak, Snell, Schroeder, and Tim Hardaway, Jr.

Olynyk is putting up numbers on an awful team that plays on one end of the floor - offense - and that perfectly suits his game. He also has the luxury of having an elite passer in Rondo, and complete lack of an alpha-dog to limit his touches and shots. It's the perfect system for him. But I think probably 3/4 of the above are better all-around players with better upside.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2014, 05:29:25 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Not like "analysts" are any better.

At least fans have a passion for the team.

Some analysts just have a passion for the cash.