Author Topic: Tim Tebow to the Jets  (Read 30127 times)

Re: TIm Tebow to the Jets
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So, the latest report is that the Broncos worked out trades with both the Jets and Jaguars, and let Tebow pick his destination.  Allegedly, he chose the Jets.

If that's true, what's that say about Tebow?  Did he pick the bigger media market over the chance to win a starting job? 

Interesting on several counts - especially given that he was in Florida prior to the NFL. I viewed Jags as best fit for Tebow, but... you never know what makes a person tick. I'm not so sure it had to do with size of the media market, though. It might also be that he feels the Jets have a better chance to win than the Jags.

I kinda saw it as the bigger challenge, Manning went where he would be "comfortable", given everything we know about Tebow and everything we know about the Jets lockerroom this is anything but comfortable for Tebow. 

I will also say that I think Tebow is in a situation now where he is more likely to be on a winning Team than in Jacksonville.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
So, the latest report is that the Broncos worked out trades with both the Jets and Jaguars, and let Tebow pick his destination.  Allegedly, he chose the Jets.

If that's true, what's that say about Tebow?  Did he pick the bigger media market over the chance to win a starting job? 

Interesting on several counts - especially given that he was in Florida prior to the NFL. I viewed Jags as best fit for Tebow, but... you never know what makes a person tick. I'm not so sure it had to do with size of the media market, though. It might also be that he feels the Jets have a better chance to win than the Jags.

I kinda saw it as the bigger challenge, Manning went where he would be "comfortable", given everything we know about Tebow and everything we know about the Jets lockerroom this is anything but comfortable for Tebow. 

I will also say that I think Tebow is in a situation now where he is more likely to be on a winning Team than in Jacksonville.

Total speculation on my part but I wonder if it had anything to do with the idea of being placed with the burden of being the hometown hero returning to Florida and being charged with trying to save professional football in Jacksonville?

Heavy load to carry.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Tim Tebow to the Jets
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
the New York media is going to eat this man alive if he ever sees the field...and Sanchez isn't good enough to keep him off it

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know SO was arguing that Tebow is more valuable than a 4th rounder or that the chances a 4th rounder would be of value is less than Tebow being able to learn a timing system. To that I say, these are players that have been 4th round picks since 2006:

Aaron Hernandez - NE
Stephen Gostkowski - NE
Elvis Dumervil - Denver
Brabdon Marshall - Denver
Leon Washington - NYJ
Jahri Evans - NO
Michael Robinson - SF
Owen Daniels - Houston
Paul Soliai - Miami
Zak DeOssie - NYG
Jermon Bushrod - NO
Dashon Goldson - SF
LeRon McClain - Baltimore
Marcus Thomas - Denver
Michael Bush - Oakland
Brian Robison - Minnesota
Tyvon Branch - Oakland
William Hayes - Tennessee
Darrell Scott - St Louis
Henry Melton - Chicago
Geno Atkins - Cincinnati
Mike Williams - Tampa Bay
Jacoby Ford - Oakland

There's lots of talent still left in the 4th round and many Pro Bowlers come out of the round. Denver has done well in this round over the years. I think a 4th round pick can be fairly valuable and might be a more sure thing to develop into a productive football player than thinking Tebow would be able to run the same offensive system as Peyton Manning.

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Tebow is unquestionably a winner.  But far from an NFL quarterback.  Elway wants to win a championship.

It'll never happen with Tebow as your starting quarterback.

Plain and simple.
But it will happen with Peyton Manning?

Given the current state of the AFC, I'd say that the Broncos chances have just increased significantly.
They just went from a QB that defensive players run away from to a QB who could conceivably be killed at his first hit.

I'm pretty sure Peyton's neck is fine. Nobody gives a guy 90 million dollars without making sure the guy checks out medically.

They went from a QB who can't throw a 10-yard out to one of the best QBs of all time.

Well, from all reports the bronco's did. They saw him throw once and did not require him to submit to an independent doctor's exam pre signing.

In fact, that demand by manning (that a team not subject him to medical tests, and take his doctors word for it) supposedly knocked 4-5 teams out of the running when they told manning's people they wouldn't do such a thing.

I don't think Manning is perptrating some sort of active fraud, but i do think the Broncos were the only team desprate enough to:

A: pay a 36 year old with a degenerative neck condition 100 million dollars for 5 years (yes i realize it's the NFL and contracts are not worth the paper they are printed on long term, but thats what it took to get him to sign)

and

B: the front office is desperate to move on from Tim Tebow, and one way to do that without alienating your fan base is to sign a future hall of famer, thus ending any reasonable debate over who should be the QB.

It was a perfect storm for Denver, and manning benefited. I think he'll play ok at best this next year, which for manning will likely still be a top 10 QB in this league, and they'll scrub out of the playoffs the next year or two, then Denver will get out of the deal and move on.

At least we now know how much it's worth to John Elway to get rid of his tebow problem  ;)

only the first year contract of 18 million is guaranteed.  He must pass a physical in March 2013 to guarantee 2013 and 2014 and even then if he suffers a neck injury the Broncos can get out of the guarantee of those years.  The last two years he must pass a physical every year to get the contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Drew Stanton is very angry.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7722208/new-york-jets-drew-stanton-wants-tim-tebow-deal-source-says
He should be, he was signed to be the backup QB and now suddenly he's been demoted to the third string according the NY GM (according to an ESPN Radio blurb I just heard)

He likely had other offers to be the QB2.

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7722208/new-york-jets-drew-stanton-wants-tim-tebow-deal-source-says
He should be, he was signed to be the backup QB and now suddenly he's been demoted to the third string according the NY GM (according to an ESPN Radio blurb I just heard)

he signed a contract, he will be paid that contract, and perhaps instead of whining about it, maybe he should just beat Tebow out for #2 and quit being a baby.

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

he signed a contract, he will be paid that contract, and perhaps instead of whining about it, maybe he should just beat Tebow out for #2 and quit being a baby.
Being upset over a demotion at work is being a baby? Especially a demotion after you were told you'd have a certain role when you were hired?

Man sports really does give people warped views of workplace situations.

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2012, 01:57:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. He might have a portion guaranteed but chances are he might not and he could get cut close to the end of camp and not have time to catchon elsewhere. He should be mad.

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2012, 01:59:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Generally I'd agree with you, but by the same token, if the Jets suddenly decide tehy don't want to pay their third string QB the contract Drew Stanton is getting, they'll just cut his butt.

He signed with them because they told him he'd be their #2, forgoing more lucrative offers. Its understandable that being demoted to #3 because they just traded for a hype-machine to take his snaps, and getting that demotion before the first practice, its understandable that he's upset.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Generally I'd agree with you, but by the same token, if the Jets suddenly decide tehy don't want to pay their third string QB the contract Drew Stanton is getting, they'll just cut his butt.

He signed with them because they told him he'd be their #2, forgoing more lucrative offers. Its understandable that being demoted to #3 because they just traded for a hype-machine to take his snaps, and getting that demotion before the first practice, its understandable that he's upset.

Ya thats the thing, in the land of unguaranteed contracts I sympathize with the players in this.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
Stanton has every right to be peeved.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Stanton has every right to be peeved.
Yeah, after all who wants to be the new Brady Quinn....

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Being upset over a demotion at work is being a baby? Especially a demotion after you were told you'd have a certain role when you were hired?

Man sports really does give people warped views of workplace situations.
They will have an open competition.  If Stanton is good enough he will be the #1 guy, or the #2 guy, or the #3 guy. 

Frankly, no matter what Tannebaum says, I imagine Stanton will be the #2 QB as he is fairly similar to Sanchez.  Tebow will play a fair amount as a wildcat, goaline, etc. type QB, but if Sanchez gets hurt, Stanton will be the starter (at least that is what I think will happen).