Author Topic: Tim Tebow to the Jets  (Read 30126 times)

Re: TIm Tebow to the Jets
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If you ever wondered what could shut up eja.....it's been like 40 mins and I'm still thinkin....I got nothing but stunned silence right now. Absolute stunned silence. Enjoy

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
But still, what are the chances the Texans replace the value of Ryans as an extremely talented backup LB with a 4th round pick?
A 4th round pick is also a lot cheaper, cap space matters a lot. Avoiding spending a too much of it on a backup linebacker who's likely on his downside (most linebackers don't last till they're 30 playing at a high level) to get a young contributor can make a lot of sense.

How is Tebow going to be a solid backup for Peyton if you have to completely scrab the option read for Peyton and not practice it until Peyton misses a game? You can't just swap offensive systems that quickly, it won't work....

I'd feel much better about trying to get Tebow to learn a new offense, and using his option offense if/when that fails rather than just go ahead with Brady Quinn (or your average backup Q).

Sell the fan base on Peyton helping Tebow grow, and hope that it actually could.

I get the impression a lot of this could be handled if John Elway just came out and said, "Bro, its not you, its me."

Cuz that's kinda what it is. John Elway would rather rebuild sans-Tebow with nothin, adding in Manning is just the hot-fudge on his Sunday.

I guess the Tebow aspect is skewing my argument. My overall point is that I think in a lot of these trades the value of the pick and the cut in cost doesn't come anywhere near the value of the player that's being traded.

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm working my way through this. If he can beat out Kyle Orton he can beat out Sanchez. 

Oh God! God!  Why have you forsaken us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I need Skip Bayless to tell me what to think.

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I'm a rams fan and wondering why we would be going after him?

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 04:25:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm working my way through this. If he can beat out Kyle Orton he can beat out Sanchez. 

Probably not until after the third game.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Reports on ESPNRadio are now that there is a snag in the trade. Jets would have to pay the Broncos back a large sum (around $5 million) in bonuses for some reason.

He could be going to St. Louis instead now....
It isn't really a bonus.  There is an advance due that affects future cap, which both teams want the other to pay.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
John Elway & the Broncos are chicken-poop! Im sure Jacksonville gave them a better offer but they don't want Tim to come back & make them look like fools by playing well & turning JAX around. And they know he won't start for the Jets being they just gave Sanchez 40 million. They did this to screw Tebow & I don't understand that when he is a great kid! Mark Sanchez & the Jets locker room is not where you learn, if Tebow wanted to go that route he could have just stayed in Denver & learned behind Peyton.
or maybe the salary advance that Tebow is owed, messed with Jacksonville's cap and they couldn't make it work.  Nah it has to be evil John Elway punishing Tebow.  It has nothing to do with the financials.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Reports on ESPNRadio are now that there is a snag in the trade. Jets would have to pay the Broncos back a large sum (around $5 million) in bonuses for some reason.

He could be going to St. Louis instead now....
It isn't really a bonus.  There is an advance due that affects future cap, which both teams want the other to pay.
This is why trades in the NFL are so rare, the cap rules are even worse than in the NBA when it comes to things like this.

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Reports coming in that Tebow has said he wants no part of the Jets through his agent. Jaguars also renewing quest for Tebow since the Jets trade hit a snag...

IMO, there's no way the Jets pay 5 million for a backup QB.

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:11 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
John Elway & the Broncos are chicken-poop! Im sure Jacksonville gave them a better offer but they don't want Tim to come back & make them look like fools by playing well & turning JAX around. And they know he won't start for the Jets being they just gave Sanchez 40 million. They did this to screw Tebow & I don't understand that when he is a great kid! Mark Sanchez & the Jets locker room is not where you learn, if Tebow wanted to go that route he could have just stayed in Denver & learned behind Peyton.
or maybe the salary advance that Tebow is owed, messed with Jacksonville's cap and they couldn't make it work.  Nah it has to be evil John Elway punishing Tebow.  It has nothing to do with the financials.
Nope its all John Elway! Its clear he wants Tebow to fail or have a career crash. Honestly I think dude was jealous of Tebow's fame, Tebow in Denver after 1 year was rivaling Elway's career fanfare without even winning a Superbowl & honestly I think he resented Tebow for that. And in turn he did everything in his power to undermine him & not give he the love a GM should towards a young winning QB willing to do anything to get better. Elway is the only GM that would basically fire/release a QB under the circumstances Tebow just strived under.

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 06:19:58 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Jacksonville covers 10,000 seats with tarps to avoid blackouts. They couldn't use Tebow? Please.

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
I'm guessing Ryan won't make it through half the season if they start the way they ended last season.  I doubt that management will tolerate the dysfunction again.

Tebow might add something...But it won't be dysfunction.  It's already there.

Ryan seems to thrive on dysfunction...But it's a lot easier to tolerate when you're winning.

You don't think adding a QB who was the starter on a team that won a playoff game last year, and who has a lot of fans who will want him to start, to a team with a fragile starting QB position already won't cause more dysfunction?

As the old saying goes, if you have 2 QBs, you have 0 QBs.  It is going to be a bigger circus than ever this year, and by bringing in a guy like Tebow, who is not good enough to clearly take Sanchez' position, but is good enough to make him uncomfortable, will just be another distraction for a team that needs stability if they want to get to the next level.

You nailed it.  It is the fragility of Sanchez that potentially makes this a disaster.  It may sound like an overstatement, but I truly believe that Sanchez is 1 bad game from being buried by Tebow-mania.  And Sanchez WILL have a bad game.

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Nope its all John Elway! Its clear he wants Tebow to fail or have a career crash. Honestly I think dude was jealous of Tebow's fame, Tebow in Denver after 1 year was rivaling Elway's career fanfare without even winning a Superbowl & honestly I think he resented Tebow for that. And in turn he did everything in his power to undermine him & not give he the love a GM should towards a young winning QB willing to do anything to get better. Elway is the only GM that would basically fire/release a QB under the circumstances Tebow just strived under.
Brian Billick got rid of his QB after winning a SB.

Jim Harbaugh tried to get rid of his QB after he got the 49ers to the NFC title game too.

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 06:53:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't think that Elway is remotely jealous of Tebow.  I just don't think he wants him as his starting QB long-term.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes