Author Topic: Tim Tebow to the Jets  (Read 30129 times)

Re: TIm Tebow to the Jets
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 02:50:40 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Unspoken story - The Jaguars must be trying to move out of Jacksonville.

That organization is in serious trouble.

If it wasn't for the world's worst lease agreement, they'd probably be in LA already.

If they wanted to stay in Jacksonville, Tim Tebow could not compelete a pass and be worth a fourth round pick for them.

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Here's what I don't understand about the NFL;

The chances the Denver Broncos replace the value they would've gotten out of keeping Tebow with a 4th round pick is extremely minimal. To me, the Jets approach to the draft is a smart one, it's just that their execution is poor.

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

The chances the Denver Broncos replace the value they would've gotten out of keeping Tebow with a 4th round pick is extremely minimal. To me, the Jets approach to the draft is a smart one, it's just that their execution is poor.
Not true.

Tim Tebow can't run the same offense as Peyton Manning so he'd likely be a prospect QB or third stringer assuming you want your backup to run the same offense as your starter.

There are what 54 NFL roster spots? A fourth round pick that becomes even a capable special teams or third stringer is a very valuable piece, especially given how cheaply they are under contract initially. If they become a primary backup or a low level starter then you've hit a home run.

Plus you have to think about your locker room, getting rid of Tebow quickly is the best way to stabilize that situation and also get the fanbase to move on as well.

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
I think this is the worst case scenario for Tebow.

For him to be in a position to succeed, he needs stability in the management group, coaching staff, locker room, and honestly fan base.

Jets management operates like gunslingers...

The coaching staff is a parody of itself...

The locker room is a group of backstabbing, selfish, fame driven premadonas...

The fan base is as inpatient and reactionary as it gets in professional sports.

There was also the supposed report that Tebow "missed the South and wanted to return to Florida", according to Sal Palantonio's report in SportsCenter last night (grain of salt.)

I think New York will chew Tebow up and spit him out.  
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Truth be told i'm starting to get a little more worried about the Buffs than the Jets this year.  Apparently they just inked Mark Anderson to play opposite Williams and resigned Bryan Scott.  Plenty of offensive weapons in Jackson/Spiller/Johnson/Nelson, if they can solidify that run defense they could make some noise.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Not true.

Tim Tebow can't run the same offense as Peyton Manning so he'd likely be a prospect QB or third stringer assuming you want your backup to run the same offense as your starter.

There are what 54 NFL roster spots? A fourth round pick that becomes even a capable special teams or third stringer is a very valuable piece, especially given how cheaply they are under contract initially. If they become a primary backup or a low level starter then you've hit a home run.

Plus you have to think about your locker room, getting rid of Tebow quickly is the best way to stabilize that situation and also get the fanbase to move on as well.

This is probably an extreme case because of the Tebowmania, but I think you could argue that his value as a solid backup QB with to someone who has a high chance of getting injured is worth more than a 4th round pick. Based on the characters involved, I could see Tebowmania dying down pretty easily, especially after the Pats walloping.

But still, let's look at an easier case - the Philadelphia acquired DeMeco Ryans for  a 4th yesterday, turning them in my mind the favorite to win the Superbowl. And that's because Ryans didn't really fit the Texans system. But still, what are the chances the Texans replace the value of Ryans as an extremely talented backup LB with a 4th round pick?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:20:09 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Truth be told i'm starting to get a little more worried about the Buffs than the Jets this year.  Apparently they just inked Mark Anderson to play opposite Williams and resigned Bryan Scott.  Plenty of offensive weapons in Jackson/Spiller/Johnson/Nelson, if they can solidify that run defense they could make some noise.

I'm most concerned that the lack of financial responsibility that the Bills have shown is going to force the team out of Buffalo. 16 million dollars committed to Mark Anderson and Ryan Fitzpatrick is a lot for a team that's not really a clear playoff team.

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Reports on ESPNRadio are now that there is a snag in the trade. Jets would have to pay the Broncos back a large sum (around $5 million) in bonuses for some reason.

He could be going to St. Louis instead now....

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
But still, what are the chances the Texans replace the value of Ryans as an extremely talented backup LB with a 4th round pick?
A 4th round pick is also a lot cheaper, cap space matters a lot. Avoiding spending a too much of it on a backup linebacker who's likely on his downside (most linebackers don't last till they're 30 playing at a high level) to get a young contributor can make a lot of sense.

How is Tebow going to be a solid backup for Peyton if you have to completely scrab the option read for Peyton and not practice it until Peyton misses a game? You can't just swap offensive systems that quickly, it won't work....

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wow. thats insane.

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
But still, what are the chances the Texans replace the value of Ryans as an extremely talented backup LB with a 4th round pick?
A 4th round pick is also a lot cheaper, cap space matters a lot. Avoiding spending a too much of it on a backup linebacker who's likely on his downside (most linebackers don't last till they're 30 playing at a high level) to get a young contributor can make a lot of sense.

How is Tebow going to be a solid backup for Peyton if you have to completely scrab the option read for Peyton and not practice it until Peyton misses a game? You can't just swap offensive systems that quickly, it won't work....

I'd feel much better about trying to get Tebow to learn a new offense, and using his option offense if/when that fails rather than just go ahead with Brady Quinn (or your average backup Q).

Sell the fan base on Peyton helping Tebow grow, and hope that it actually could.

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'd also argue that Ryans hasn't been the same since pre-2010.  Getting a 4th for him isn't a bad haul given the salary cap ramifications of trading him.  You might not get a LB of his caliber with a 4th rounder but you open up cap space and you may fill two needs instead of one now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 03:41:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I'd feel much better about trying to get Tebow to learn a new offense, and using his option offense if/when that fails rather than just go ahead with Brady Quinn (or your average backup Q).

Sell the fan base on Peyton helping Tebow grow, and hope that it actually could.
Petyon Manning runs a timing route offense that is determined by WR/QB reads at the line of scrimmage. Tebow lacks the accuracy necessary to make such an offense work, especially if he's only given limited practice snaps.

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Petyon Manning runs a timing route offense that is determined by WR/QB reads at the line of scrimmage. Tebow lacks the accuracy necessary to make such an offense work, especially if he's only given limited practice snaps.

I'd say that there's a chance he could, and I feel the chances of him being able to do that greatly outweigh the chances of them getting equal or greater value out of a 4th round pick at any position.   

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I get the impression a lot of this could be handled if John Elway just came out and said, "Bro, its not you, its me."

Cuz that's kinda what it is. John Elway would rather rebuild sans-Tebow with nothin, adding in Manning is just the hot-fudge on his Sunday.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner