Author Topic: Doc is to Blame!  (Read 8003 times)

Doc is to Blame!
« on: April 10, 2010, 07:18:10 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So, like many others here, I had the dubious experience of watching last night's nightmare vs. Washington.

BUT, I did miss the pre-game interview with Gorman and Doc.

So why is this even worth mentioning? Because I overheard from others who saw the interview tell me Doc said something along the following lines when Gorman asked him the importance of finishing strong: "Well, this is not a track meet..hahaha. It's more important to go into the playoffs healthy rather than finish strong."

Doc, go shove it buddy! You should be ashamed of saying such a thing. You SHOULD be more concerned with winning as many games as possible, grabbing the 3 seed and going into the postseason with as much momentum as possible!

If winning isn't Doc's top concern then maybe Danny should hire another coach. It's no wonder the team showed no effort last night. If the coach doesn't care, why should the players?

Re: Doc is to Blame!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 07:28:46 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Completely agree. I did notice that too. I also noticed Gormans face kinda drop when he said it as well. Can't beleive that's the company line coming from the coach. Wyc seemed noticeably irritated & frustrated on air with the teams play. He actually seemed a little embarassed to be honest.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 07:35:38 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
 Unless they have a miracle playoff run (yeah right) I don't see any way Doc can seriously be brought back as coach. This team is old, but they have talent, and a coach's job is to get the most out of his team. Doc hasn't gotten anyhting out of these guys all year. I don't think I've ever seen a coach get less out of his team. It will be hard to take them seriously if he's back next year. i mean. how much worse of a job could he do?

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:35:51 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Completely agree. I did notice that too. I also noticed Gormans face kinda drop when he said it as well. Can't beleive that's the company line coming from the coach. Wyc seemed noticeably irritated & frustrated on air with the teams play. He actually seemed a little embarassed to be honest.

That's right! And Tommy Heinsohn too! Tommy has been a part of the Celtics before I was even a gleam in my father's eye and he was irritated last night. If Tommy seems irritated with the team, then you know something is wrong.

Good response!  Doc should embarrased of himself HOPE he reads this blog!!

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 08:09:32 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Most of the other title-aspirant teams are saying the same thing. Notably Mike Brown, who suggested these last few games were no more than high-level practices then proceeded to sit Lebron out.

It's silly to blame it on Doc though. This is an organizational decision, if in fact one has actually been made. And really - how is last night's game any different than all the games they've thrown away for months on end now? Those are the on the players, IMO.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:13:05 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Doc has tried everything with this team. they just dont have any chemistry and they just dont really care.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:19:13 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I really don't think Doc's the problem, but I do agree, if they don't at least make the ECF, he gets fired...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 09:20:19 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I really don't think Doc's the problem, but I do agree, if they don't at least make the ECF, he gets fired...

well then he better start packing because the cavs are going to beat these old dogs like they stole something...heck..i dont even know if they get out of the first round

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 09:22:34 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Doc has tried everything with this team. they just dont have any chemistry and they just dont really care.

He's never tried to change the starting lineup. Ray should be the 6th man and Tony should start.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 09:31:40 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

He's never tried to change the starting lineup. Ray should be the 6th man and Tony should start.

6 months ago if you said that you'd be committed, today, it sorta makes sense

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I tend to agree with this.  Everyone recognizes the need for defense to win championships, but still the importance of defense slips silently away from minds that should no better...

In other words, set a defensive tone early and bury them with threes later on..

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There's plenty of blame to go around, but Doc certainly deserves part of it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 10:34:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The lack of effort can't be pinned entirely on Doc, but it made my stomach drop to see him validate it so strongly in that interview.  While resting key guys before the playoffs come should be a consideration, the coach shouldn't be going around before a game saying that's the top priority.

I agree that Doc may well get fired if this team doesn't have a strong playoff run - there's not much we can do to shake up the roster, so shaking up the coaching staff seems like the likely alternative.

I haven't given up on this year's team by any stretch, but next year is starting to look awfully bleak. 

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Doc is 75 percent of the problem. Old age, injury, inconsistency is the other 25.

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
Doc is 75 percent of the problem. Old age, injury, inconsistency is the other 25.

as a coach I can tell you coaching is about 5-10 percent of the reason for a team's success.  I have seen some horrible coaches win games, even state titles and some amazing ones finish at the bottom of the division year after year.  What it comes down to is talent and attitude of the players.  Attitude does reflect the coach's leadership to a degree, but as you move up the ranks from hs to college to the pros this becomes less and less true.  Personally I have had teams that have gone winless, and I really thought it was my coaching, then I realized it was talent when I had a nearly undefeated season without changing my philosophy or methods radically.