Author Topic: If Sheed was a mistake what were the other realistic options?  (Read 10568 times)

Re: If Sheed was a mistake what were the other realistic options?
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2009, 03:01:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe the mistake was just an internal adjustment issue where rather than force their way through a slump Shelden W and Scal could have gotten some extra time

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
maybe Toine-esque on offense, but on defense he's fantastic.

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2009, 03:09:54 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Given what we needed, our cap limitations and what was out there I don't think we had many options. McDyess, Joe Smith, Mikki More, Bass, Gooden those are the only UFA big men I can remember were available.
Of those Sheed is the oldest but also one of the tallest, with the longest range, can defend and has the ability to back-up Perk because he can competently play the 5 (I said competently because I know Mikki can play the 5 too).
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
This has been Rasheed's game for past few years.  If you were for him at the beginning of the year nothing should have changed.  In fact I was sort of against it because this is his game.  But Ainge thought he would be a nice addition so I'm on board.  He's playing above average D and rebounding ok but, he was going through a shooting slump.  His biggest impact will be on the road in big games, IMO.  He has the type of mentality that will come in handy when someone needs to make a big shot.  Call it the IDGAF mentality.  Something only Pierce has on the C's.

And don't bother getting upset because he takes a lot of 3's.  That's his game.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Given what we needed, our cap limitations and what was out there I don't think we had many options. McDyess, Joe Smith, Mikki More, Bass, Gooden those are the only UFA big men I can remember were available.
Of those Sheed is the oldest but also one of the tallest, with the longest range, can defend and has the ability to back-up Perk because he can competently play the 5 (I said competently because I know Mikki can play the 5 too).
Of this list, I would have had Sheed behind everyone except Moore.  All of them play with more energy. 

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is where I think it is difficult to call the Sheed signing a mistake because there was a couple of very obvious needs for this team and Sheed filled the biggest the best. I don't see that the other options McDyess, Smith, Gooden, etc. are playing better than he is or would have been as versatile a player and as good a fit as Wallace has been here.

This I think is a stark difference from the off-season before when I think Ainge had a ton of different options to enhance the team but chose the "devil that you know is better than...." theory of summer management by going with bringing back whoever he could and the heck with anything else.

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I was always in favour of signing Dice instead: way better rebounder, better defender, great mid-range game, fiery competitor, plays with lot of energy and can play 4/5.

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I thought Sheed was a great pickup in the offseason, I still think he was a great pickup, and I think in the playoffs everyone will see how he was a great pickup. 

He absolutely still needs to workout how he fits into the offense (and I put a lot of this on the other veterans and Doc as well, to reign him in more), but ultimately, his ability to space the floor on offense, and his exceptional defense are going to be huge when the games really matter.  To be able to throw him at Howard and Shaq (and allow him to pull them away from the basket on defense) will be huge for this team. 

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
I was always in favour of signing Dice instead: way better rebounder, better defender, great mid-range game, fiery competitor, plays with lot of energy and can play 4/5.
thank you.  Completely agree.  Much better motor.

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree with most of this, but I think Rasheed is a significantly better defender...particularly in the post, where I think he is remarkably close to Perkins as one of the best in the game.  And like I said before, I think Wallace brings more to the offense, if he can learn when not to shoot, because he can really open things up inside much more than McDyess can.

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2009, 05:32:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Other Options

Antonio McDyess, Zaza Pachulia, Brandon Bass, Ramon Sessions, Carlos Delfino, Jamario Moon, Anthony Parker, Drew Gooden, Allen Iverson, Rasho Nesterovic, Channing Frye ... maybe Grant Hill? Would the MLE have gotten him out of Phoenix? Hard to tell.

Options vs Wallace

Do any of those options scream out as superior players to Wallace? As players who could offer more in their possible Celtics' role than Wallace can as the lead backup big man?

(1) I think Sessions is a better player (best player in the mix) but I don't see him making a larger impact due to a minutes squeeze behind Rondo. Plus I don't like having another point player/perimeter player who can't shoot the ball.

(2) Antonio McDyess is a fair question but he's struggling just as much, more so even, than Rasheed is so that's a tough question to answer.

(3) Brandon Bass is a maybe. It makes us quite small up front but maybe.

(4) Grant Hill is a legitimate possibility but I don't know how possible that would have been. Signing him away from Phoenix I mean.

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I have been thinking about this all day to see if I could come up with an answer (because I really like 'Sheed in this role).  The only thing I could come up with is an "if only"...I really wanted the Celts to draft Joakim Noah a couple years ago... big man with a lot of enthusiasm, leadership potential, and athleticism.  But, it was not to be...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2009, 08:12:14 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
the best choice was sheed..he could have gone anywhere he wanted to..

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Other Options

Antonio McDyess, Zaza Pachulia, Brandon Bass, Ramon Sessions, Carlos Delfino, Jamario Moon, Anthony Parker, Drew Gooden, Allen Iverson, Rasho Nesterovic, Channing Frye ... maybe Grant Hill? Would the MLE have gotten him out of Phoenix? Hard to tell.

Options vs Wallace

Do any of those options scream out as superior players to Wallace? As players who could offer more in their possible Celtics' role than Wallace can as the lead backup big man?

(1) I think Sessions is a better player (best player in the mix) but I don't see him making a larger impact due to a minutes squeeze behind Rondo. Plus I don't like having another point player/perimeter player who can't shoot the ball.

(2) Antonio McDyess is a fair question but he's struggling just as much, more so even, than Rasheed is so that's a tough question to answer.

(3) Brandon Bass is a maybe. It makes us quite small up front but maybe.

(4) Grant Hill is a legitimate possibility but I don't know how possible that would have been. Signing him away from Phoenix I mean.
Maybe if they could have gotten two of those guys to split the MLE like Drew Gooden and Bass.

But it may only seem that way now. They probably were looking for someone who could beat out Glen Davis and I don't think Bass could. He almost didn't beat out Ryan Anderson

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2009, 09:06:58 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Of this list, I would have had Sheed behind everyone except Moore.  All of them play with more energy. 

I'm guessing the Celtics don't care much about energy (I base this on the POB signing). I think they targeted Sheed because he gives the the most length and versatility to our frontline. Especially if they were planning to sign Sheldon then  the other bigs available would be mainly duplicating or slightly enhancing skills we already had on the roster.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.