Author Topic: If Sheed was a mistake what were the other realistic options?  (Read 10574 times)

Re: Was bringing Sheed here a mistake?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 11:08:47 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess my comparison isn't trying to compare them at the same ages, but at times they were expected to be helpful contributors, but instead ended up making things worse.

And also trying to compare to bigs that could have been taking it inside for closer shots, rebs, and occasional blocks, but instead set up camp on the perimeter and rarely left whether they were making shots or not

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Why is this even an argument?  Sort of like saying "Who was better in his prime, Bird or Magic?"  Pointless discussion in the present tense....
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Why is this even an argument?  Sort of like saying "Who was better in his prime, Bird or Magic?"  Pointless discussion in the present tense....

It's not a question of who was better or worse. The question was whether it was a mistake as in "It's not working. Will it, or were there and are there better options"

Maybe there weren't. Maybe there aren't. But I think in many games at this point he's hurt more than he helped.

You can say I'm bashing him or being negative or something like that, but when Marbury did bad it wasn't a problem to say "He's playing bad"

When Giddens or Scala played bad it wasn't negative to say "He's playing bad"

People are still happy to say Toine played bad and he hasn't been here for years.

I'm saying it in the same way you'd say that. Maybe it was a mistake.

Someone made the good point the mistake may have been more the 3 year contract. I'm having a hard time seeing him at 38, which is Shaq's age.

I think people have just invested a lot of hope and pride in Sheed cause of his past and all his good points so it hurts more but at some point we have to face facts no matter how much it hurts.  His overall play so far is terrible.

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

It's not a question of who was better or worse. The question was whether it was a mistake as in "It's not working. Will it, or were there and are there better options"

Maybe there weren't. Maybe there aren't. But I think in many games at this point he's hurt more than he helped.

You can say I'm bashing him or being negative or something like that, but when Marbury did bad it wasn't a problem to say "He's playing bad"

When Giddens or Scala played bad it wasn't negative to say "He's playing bad"

People are still happy to say Toine played bad and he hasn't been here for years.

I'm saying it in the same way you'd say that. Maybe it was a mistake.

Someone made the good point the mistake may have been more the 3 year contract. I'm having a hard time seeing him at 38, which is Shaq's age.

I think people have just invested a lot of hope and pride in Sheed cause of his past and all his good points so it hurts more but at some point we have to face facts no matter how much it hurts.  His overall play so far is terrible.

Not to get to side tracked, but Walker in his prime with Pierce was good enough to make the conference finals.  (a good thing even if the conference was weak)

When Pierce had to go without Walker, lotto city.

So while Walker wasn't a superstar, he did play well for the Celtics.

Now back to the main point.

Wallace is a great 6th man for this Celtics team to have.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 11:27:31 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Then we will just have to agree to disagree.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 11:29:01 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Sorry, didnt notice the extra post...I was disagreeing with eja.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 11:30:56 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Sorry, didnt notice the extra post...I was disagreeing with eja.
For what it's worth I knew that

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
no...last night he was great...15 points...great defense....played inside and out

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 11:42:17 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
No.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
definitely not a mistake. i've been really disapointed though. the antoine comparison is deserved. horrible shot selection at times. rushed threes that barely hit th rim. some of the attempts are practically throws at the basket because of a man in his face. i was surprised at how slow and out of shape he looked.
    Still, we'd be screwed without him. I just hate hearing any kind of well sheed is gonna do what he wants kind of talk. there is zero room for that. that's not ubuntu. 

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I guess my comparison isn't trying to compare them at the same ages, but at times they were expected to be helpful contributors, but instead ended up making things worse.

And also trying to compare to bigs that could have been taking it inside for closer shots, rebs, and occasional blocks, but instead set up camp on the perimeter and rarely left whether they were making shots or not

I've been pretty happy with his defense. Saying he isn't contributing at all isn't really true. He's fine for a backup.

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I usually wait at least 1/4 way into the season before i make any comments negatively or positively about players.When we play the Bucks it will be approx.20plus games into the season,thats when i feel each new player can be better evaluated whether he is fitting on to the team smoothly.Some players take longer than others.I feel Sheed's real presence will be felt down in the playoffs.

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
For the most part, Sheed missed a lot of wide open shots in his 3 for 42 run. Hard to defend, but it's hard to say all of those 42 shots were "forced". And, at 7 feet, when you say he's shooting with a "man in his face", it depends on who you mean. Not anyone can guard Rasheed at his height and have it matter. It's one of the reasons that plays are made for Pierce. Who can really guard him at his height?

Anyways, no it wasn't a mistake to bring him in, and considering he actually tried to post up last night as opposed to camp behind the arc all the time, I'm surprised you waited until now to ask this topic, cause last night was probably one of Rasheed's best games this season. For the most part, I think he's always brought it defensively. And he's definitely "fit in".

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Toine comparisons aside, Posey, Eddie and now Sheed have all gone through extended 3 point shooting slumps. That doesn't mean it was a mistake to sign any of them because all three brought so much more to the team that those other things far, far outweigh any extended slump they may or may not go through.

Imagine what this team's record would be or the wear and tear KG and perk would have had to have gone through during Baby's injury if Wallace wasn't here. Wallace's shooting may have gone through a slump but defensively only Perkins has played more consistent high quality defense on this team thus far. Now add in all the spacing and ball movement he brings not only to the second team but the whole team.

I think at the price he signed and for what he is expected to do, specifically being an integral 6th or 7th man that brings continuity to the floor for a second team as get substituted into the game, Rasheed is a perfect addition and no where close to a mistake.

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Not really a mistake, per se, but not a fantastic signing either.  Did we really need the Big 3 and Danny and Doc to fly out to recruit him?  I would have rather just signed McDyess.  Plus Sheed really isn't a great bargain, either.