Author Topic: If Sheed was a mistake what were the other realistic options?  (Read 10573 times)

If Sheed was a mistake what were the other realistic options?
« on: November 28, 2009, 09:24:39 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I wasn't a huge fan of him before he came here, but was all for them going out and getting him. Loved him the first 5 games.

But now I'm asking myself...just a more quotable less talented Toine who gets more techs?

And it's not just the Celts that may be asking themselves similar questions.

You know Memphis is sitting around reading Iverson headlines saying "Well that sure as heck didn't work"

and the Cavs have to be asking themselves similar questions about Shaq.

So I have to ask, what were the other realistic options and what are they now?

When Glen gets back if he plays a few decent games do you bench Sheed? How do you think he'd react to that? If he whines and complains instead of going to the practice gym and they cut him I'm fine with that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:48:57 PM by eja117 »

Re: Was bringing Sheed here a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 09:27:34 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
way too early to say, especially since he has had some really good games.  not to mention he has to adjust to a different role.  i still think it was a good move and time will tell

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 09:30:43 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I used to hate when people did this, so I guess prefacing it helps a bit, but....simply....

NO
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:32:07 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
True. I wouldn't want to see him on the Lakers kicking us. Granted him and Artest on the same team may open some sort of vortex that Kobe could get sucked into

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Definitely not a mistake. Did you see how well he played tonight? Great on offense (shooting the ball very well and taking good shots), excellent on D (good individual D and 4 steals!).

I know Sheed has been in a slump but hopefully he broke it last night and will carry this momentum in the next games.

He can be frustrating at times by arguing with the refs for 10 minutes, missing threes or playing lazy, but overall I'm really still glad we have him on our team, and his basketball IQ and great assets, coupled with his size, will be a tremendous help in the playoffs. Sure, he will struggle at times but he will also have excellent stretches like he did in the first 5 games, or last night.

What was a mistake in bringing Sheed was giving him a 3 year contract, which, I believe, will hurt us in the future since his production will drop a lot probably. Maybe it was the price to pay to get him on board. But for this season, it was really a great move and I'm sure people will agree on that by the end of June. :)

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

We haven't even taken the wrapper off the candy and you are complaining about calories.

Mark my words, you will come to love Sheed when you least expect it.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
...just a more quotable less talented Toine who gets more techs?

You're kidding right?

Rasheed is and has always been such a better player than Antoine Walker. That's a preposterous comparison. Sheed in his prime was a dominating defensive big who could shut down power forwards and centers alike while playing a team oriented, highly functional and hard to guard offensive game.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
So far he's doing what he was brought here to do give us length of the bench and space the floor. Expecting him to be a better player here than he was in Detroit is not realistic so I have no problem with his play as a Celtic. I don't think there's any chance they'll cut him when Baby comes back. He'll barely be 2 months into a multiple year contract.

Also ouch at the 'Toine comparison. Sheed is definitely the better player similarities about conscienceless gunning aside.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

You're kidding right?

Rasheed is and has always been such a better player than Antoine Walker. That's a preposterous comparison. Sheed in his prime was a dominating defensive big who could shut down power forwards and centers alike while playing a team oriented, highly functional and hard to guard offensive game.

Right now, he is less talented the Walker in his prime.

Of course Walker in his prime was the teams 2nd option and vocal leader.  Wallace is being asked to be the 6th man.

And as a 6th man, he is not a mistake.  He is providing the low post defense the team needs.  He has shown his ability to be the outside shooter the team needed (even though he is streaky, teams still have to respect his shot)

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 10:34:40 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
No mistake, Sheed absolutely should be Green!  He is still a starting quality big man who is amazing under the basket and can shoot the three.  He has come in to a new system and fit right in.  He is accepting whatever role Doc sets for him.  He is a better player at this stage than Davis.  Glen Davis fills a very specific role and we need him, but if we had had Sheed to fill in for KG last year I feel that we would have gone further in the playoffs...I do think that Davis did a remarkable job last year but didn't have the leadership experience to carry a worn down and injured team through to the next level.  
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Somehow I missed the Antoine Walker comparison.  You were kidding, right?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You're kidding right?

And right now he is better than Walker is right now.

And right now Sheed at 35 years old is better than Toine was at the age of 30, 31 and 32.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

You're kidding right?

And right now he is better than Walker is right now.

And right now Sheed at 35 years old is better than Toine was at the age of 30, 31 and 32.

Of course.

And Sheed in his prime was better then Walker in his prime.

None of it really matters.

Wallace is great talent as a 6th man now. 

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Anyway, apples and oranges....Walker is not playing in the league.  The only comparisons on this team are Scal or Davis...backups in the same position.  I love them both, but Sheed is far superior and fills the role much, much better.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 11:04:10 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Somehow I missed the Antoine Walker comparison.  You were kidding, right?
Ok, so just to get this straight.  You are all saying that you are completely satisfied and happy with what Sheed has given us and that he couldn't reasonably be expected to be providing us more? I think the quote was something like "He is providing us exactly what he was brought here to do."

And I know Toine took a ton of threes, but didn't he make them from time to time? Didn't Sheed just finish some sort of 3 for 42 run of threes? Something like that?

Did Toine usually shoot 38% Fg and 67% Fts?  With a 1 to 1 assist to TO ratio?

Is that an example of "He has come in to a new system and fit right in"?