Author Topic: What exactly is a dirty player?  (Read 9198 times)

What exactly is a dirty player?
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I hear a lot that Bowen is a dirty player. I always thought you either play in the rules or you don't. What exactly is a dirty player?

Re: What exactly is a dirty player?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
A Laker

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:07:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
When Artest pulled down PP's pants was that dirty? I guess it was dirty. I always saw it as the desperate act of a man that was being dominated and was feeling insecure and wanted attention.

Did anything happen to him for that? Is it a rule of some sort?

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
A Laker

I don't mean a player with 30 STDs that never takes a bath.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This reminds me of the Pulp Fiction thing between Samuel Jackson and John Travolta where they were talking about how Jules wouldn't eat anything from a pig cause a pig is a filthy animal.
And then Travolta was like but bacon tastes gooooood. And Jules was like "Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I wouldn't know cause I'd never eat the filthy mother fudger"

and then he was like "Is a dog filthy"

I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but it's definitely dirty and I wouldn't eat a dog either. But a dog has personality. Personality goes a long way"

So then by that logic if a pig had more personality it would cease to be a filthy animal

Well we gotta be talkin bout one charming mother fudging pig. It's gotta be 10 times more charming than that porker Arnold on Green Acres

Why can't Hollywood come up with writing like that any more?

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I hear a lot that Bowen is a dirty player. I always thought you either play in the rules or you don't. What exactly is a dirty player?
There are a number of illegal actions you can take that are unlikely to be seen but can irritate or injure a player. For example sliding your foot under a shooter. You can throw elbows, lean into picks, or just headhunt when fouling.

Chris Paul is pretty dirty. He'll trip you, throw elbows, punch you, undercut you on a fast break all depending on how the game is going. Sometimes he's trying to draw a foul, sometimes he's trying to irritate you, and finally sometimes he's getting even for something. He is a fantastic point guard  ;).

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
When Artest pulled down PP's pants was that dirty? I guess it was dirty. I always saw it as the desperate act of a man that was being dominated and was feeling insecure and wanted attention.

Did anything happen to him for that? Is it a rule of some sort?
I view dirty plays as plays that can hurt another player that are unnecessary or just dangerous.

For example shoving a player in the back after he's left his feet. You can knock him off balance and he can really get hurt when landing.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I would think these things would be self regulating. I wonder why they aren't. This is why I always thought American League pitchers should hit

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
You mean like when Bruce Bowen drop kicked Wally?  Or when Artest had Pierce in a headlock?  I remember there was a thread on this board with photos of some of Bowen's dirty plays.  He really is dirty.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 07:31:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So a dirty player is one who breaks rules. Mkay.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
All this talk about Bowen being dirty is ridiculous and subjective.  The same people criticizing him are lauding Perk for hard fouls and Rondo for body slamming Miller and throwing Hinrich into the scorers table.  Also keep this glowing except in mind from the Bill Sharman post up when we named him a top 12 Celtic of all time:

Jerry West recalled a game early in his rookie season, 1960-61, in which he was matched up with Sharman, who by then was in the 11th and final season of his career. West had the audacity to hit seven straight jumpers over Sharman. On the seventh, Sharman took a swing at him. The punch didn't connect, but the message did. West viewed Sharman a little differently on his next trip down the court.

"Bill was tough," West recalled in the Los Angeles Times. "I'll tell you this, you did not drive by him. He got into more fights than Mike Tyson. You respected him as a player."

I also recall hearing Wilt Chamberlain say something to the effect that if Jordan played in his era he would have broken his neck because everyone would have taken his legs out. 

I really think people are looking through very green-tinted glasses when viewing Celtic history if they think Bowen is too dirty to play on this team. 

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 07:54:44 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
All this talk about Bowen being dirty is ridiculous and subjective.  The same people criticizing him are lauding Perk for hard fouls and Rondo for body slamming Miller and throwing Hinrich into the scorers table.  Also keep this glowing except in mind from the Bill Sharman post up when we named him a top 12 Celtic of all time:

Jerry West recalled a game early in his rookie season, 1960-61, in which he was matched up with Sharman, who by then was in the 11th and final season of his career. West had the audacity to hit seven straight jumpers over Sharman. On the seventh, Sharman took a swing at him. The punch didn't connect, but the message did. West viewed Sharman a little differently on his next trip down the court.

"Bill was tough," West recalled in the Los Angeles Times. "I'll tell you this, you did not drive by him. He got into more fights than Mike Tyson. You respected him as a player."

I also recall hearing Wilt Chamberlain say something to the effect that if Jordan played in his era he would have broken his neck because everyone would have taken his legs out. 

I really think people are looking through very green-tinted glasses when viewing Celtic history if they think Bowen is too dirty to play on this team. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTjSrZi91Y
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11864
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
In my view a dirty player is one who makes a habit of purposely doing things that could injure another player.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
A dirty player is one that scratches, kicks, and grabs balls.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

See I've never understood that cause if someone swung at me or took my legs out they wouldn't live to tell the tale.
That would force the league to deal with the situation