Author Topic: What exactly is a dirty player?  (Read 9197 times)

Re: What exactly is a dirty player?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess as long as they can take what they dish out it's all fine.

I remember when Albert Belle knocked a dude over on the basepaths who tagged him out. Some people didn't like it, but it was well within the rules

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
this is what makes bruce bowen a dirty player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQrKIGde7Qk

With that being said, i would LOVE him to be a part of this team. lol.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 08:37:56 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fttx_nSS-f4

Oh, and here's another reason why i love Bowen.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 08:45:18 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I hear a lot that Bowen is a dirty player. I always thought you either play in the rules or you don't. What exactly is a dirty player?

One that does whatever it takes to stop his man.

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
I don't want this punk on the Celtics. 

I don't care how things were in 1960, there's a reason things change.

A hard foul is a hard foul.  Rondo's foul on Miller was OK, his foul on Hinrich was not. 

Doing the crap that Bowen does is assault, and he does it night in and night out.  That's what makes a dirty player.

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Starbury said in his stream that they are all dirty in the NBA.

The thing with Bowen is he purposefully tries to kick people's feet out from under them as they pass by. He also slides his feet under the feet of shooters (which can't contribute anything but injury).

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 09:48:54 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Two words... Bill Laimbeer.

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Jeff Van Gundy - "Have you ever noticed that after James Posey is whistled for a foul, he continues to foul the player hes guarding.  Or if a foul is called somewhere else, Posey will then foul his man after the whistle."

Mike Breen - "and as a coach how do you feel about that?"

Jeff Van Gundy - "If Im Phil Jackson, Im very upset, Im complaining to the officials and I think it's nothing but dirty play.  If Im Doc Rivers I love it and Im happy to have James Posey on my basketball team."

...thats just first thing that came into my mind when asked about dirty players.  That being said, and Im sure all of you agree, theres also a lot of James Posey videos on youtube claiming hes dirty, well if he is or isnt, I loved him on this basketball team, and I'd love to have Bruce Bowen too.

The truely great defenders not only know all the defensive fundamentals, but they know exactly how to rattle a player and get his mind off his game.

.....oh and Albert Belle doesnt count, hes not a dirty player, hes a dirty person, and that guy he ran over on the basepaths was Fernando Vina.  The guy chased trick-or-treaters in his truck for christ sake.
Greg

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:06 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:31 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 10:12:28 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
These guys are dirty
Yup

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
All this talk about Bowen being dirty is ridiculous and subjective.  The same people criticizing him are lauding Perk for hard fouls and Rondo for body slamming Miller and throwing Hinrich into the scorers table.  Also keep this glowing except in mind from the Bill Sharman post up when we named him a top 12 Celtic of all time:

Jerry West recalled a game early in his rookie season, 1960-61, in which he was matched up with Sharman, who by then was in the 11th and final season of his career. West had the audacity to hit seven straight jumpers over Sharman. On the seventh, Sharman took a swing at him. The punch didn't connect, but the message did. West viewed Sharman a little differently on his next trip down the court.

"Bill was tough," West recalled in the Los Angeles Times. "I'll tell you this, you did not drive by him. He got into more fights than Mike Tyson. You respected him as a player."

I also recall hearing Wilt Chamberlain say something to the effect that if Jordan played in his era he would have broken his neck because everyone would have taken his legs out. 

I really think people are looking through very green-tinted glasses when viewing Celtic history if they think Bowen is too dirty to play on this team. 

See I've never understood that cause if someone swung at me or took my legs out they wouldn't live to tell the tale.
That would force the league to deal with the situation

Good luck taking out a Wilt or Shaq type player lol.  Pretty sure they'd live to tell the tale.  Just sayin'

Dirty player, is an over used phrase. Bowen had done some dirty plays, but he's more of an instigator.  A dirty player too me is someone who would try to injure another player throughout the game.  Harming someone physically, throwing a punch or kick to face, groin area, etc. 

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 10:32:49 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
All this talk about Bowen being dirty is ridiculous and subjective.  The same people criticizing him are lauding Perk for hard fouls and Rondo for body slamming Miller and throwing Hinrich into the scorers table.  Also keep this glowing except in mind from the Bill Sharman post up when we named him a top 12 Celtic of all time:

Jerry West recalled a game early in his rookie season, 1960-61, in which he was matched up with Sharman, who by then was in the 11th and final season of his career. West had the audacity to hit seven straight jumpers over Sharman. On the seventh, Sharman took a swing at him. The punch didn't connect, but the message did. West viewed Sharman a little differently on his next trip down the court.

"Bill was tough," West recalled in the Los Angeles Times. "I'll tell you this, you did not drive by him. He got into more fights than Mike Tyson. You respected him as a player."

I also recall hearing Wilt Chamberlain say something to the effect that if Jordan played in his era he would have broken his neck because everyone would have taken his legs out. 

I really think people are looking through very green-tinted glasses when viewing Celtic history if they think Bowen is too dirty to play on this team. 

See I've never understood that cause if someone swung at me or took my legs out they wouldn't live to tell the tale.
That would force the league to deal with the situation

Good luck taking out a Wilt or Shaq type player lol.  Pretty sure they'd live to tell the tale.  Just sayin'

Dirty player, is an over used phrase. Bowen had done some dirty plays, but he's more of an instigator.  A dirty player too me is someone who would try to injure another player throughout the game.  Harming someone physically, throwing a punch or kick to face, groin area, etc. 

Good thing Bowen has never done any of those things.

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I hear a lot that Bowen is a dirty player. I always thought you either play in the rules or you don't. What exactly is a dirty player?
There are a number of illegal actions you can take that are unlikely to be seen but can irritate or injure a player. For example sliding your foot under a shooter. You can throw elbows, lean into picks, or just headhunt when fouling.

Chris Paul is pretty dirty. He'll trip you, throw elbows, punch you, undercut you on a fast break all depending on how the game is going. Sometimes he's trying to draw a foul, sometimes he's trying to irritate you, and finally sometimes he's getting even for something. He is a fantastic point guard  ;).

I've seen players gives a little push on your waist when you shoot, doesn't seem like much but it affects your shot so much. Not "dirty" but a trick that is illegal but hard to see/call.

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4yz__akIU [dang] some one beat me to the kick to wally