Author Topic: What exactly is a dirty player?  (Read 9199 times)

Re: What exactly is a dirty player?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 02:21:07 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
A dirty player is one that scratches, kicks, and grabs balls.

Rip Hamilton at his finest

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 03:01:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A dirty player is the same as a jerk or a selfish arse or a manipulator or a schemer or whatever..

THey're great to have on your side, but the devil if they wear the other jersey.

I used to play rugby with one mens club. I play in the pack, kinda like the offensive line. Another guy in the pack, this older body builder would always get into a fight every game over some allegation of dirty play or another. It was alwayts an event and somehow it always galvanized our team.

Then, I played him as an opponent. Everything was fine until in one ruck he grabbed my balls and twisted them. I have not been able to look at the guy since. What a jerk. That is the dirty player double edged sword.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
A dirt player is a player that doesn't take a shower after a game. Yuck.

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 03:41:12 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Smooth As Silk.
A dirt player is a player that doesn't take a shower after a game. Yuck.

Pau Gasol at his finest.

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Chris Paul is pretty dirty. He'll trip you, throw elbows, punch you, undercut you on a fast break all depending on how the game is going. Sometimes he's trying to draw a foul, sometimes he's trying to irritate you, and finally sometimes he's getting even for something. He is a fantastic point guard  ;).

Chris Paul's been know to punch a man in the wedding vegetables...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F3tptzEWmM

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
bowen is the definition of dirty. i think to be called dirty there has to be some form of cowardice involved. putting your foot underneath a shooter's foot is'nt a physicl play . it just risks a guy's career. i've never seen anything so cowardly on a basketball court before and he's done it more than once. i pray he does'nt become a celtic, even though basketball wise he's a great fit.

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Again, I think if we label Bowen dirty, we have to label numerous Celtics past and present as dirty too.  And until you're to do that, I wouldn't label Bowen as dirty. 

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
good way to start is usually someone wearing a jersey that says "PISTONS" on it
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 09:56:34 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Again, I think if we label Bowen dirty, we have to label numerous Celtics past and present as dirty too.  And until you're to do that, I wouldn't label Bowen as dirty. 
I don't have a problem labeling past Celtics dirty. Why would I? I'm not delusional.

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 10:45:20 PM »

Offline wild

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
PISTONS and Bowen  ;D
Get that 18th banner ready!

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 11:10:25 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Players will press the issue with repeated touch fouls until someone calls them. Manu G. and Rip are two of the best. Bowen does the same. Posey would also get up on his man; but not in the same pesky way. Bowen is dirty because he trips and he creates situations that could injure another player or at least makes the other player believe that they are at risk. Stepping under a player as the go up, etc. Manu is a pesk and a flop and a whiner; but not really dirty - loved it when someone (ray allen?) elbowed him in the face for all of his antics.

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 11:17:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Since Bowen is a Celtic past, does he count as two birds with one stone?

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »

Offline Jermaine54

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • Just three little birds
Bowen is dirty because he trips and he creates situations that could injure another player or at least makes the other player believe that they are at risk. Stepping under a player as the go up, etc.

Ok.

Manu is a pesk and a flop and a whiner; but not really dirty - loved it when someone (ray allen?) elbowed him in the face for all of his antics.

Just curious would you consider rondo (I seem to recall him having his share of charges taken) game for well desereved elbows?

As for Manu's style, everyone thinks that he is soft and a flopper yet he was on the world championship Argentina squad. I personally think that despite what people say European basketball is very tough. In the NBA unfortunatly taking charges is part of the game and it does not reflect toughness( look at Powe he took many charges wouldn't exactly call him soft.) I will agree that it is cheesy but if the refs call it it helps your team just one more dynamic for the offense. Most people who don't like charges prefer a defensive-slow game, yet would like to take a valuable defensive asset away from many players?

If I score a lot of points, or if I don't, I just want my team to win.-Leon Powe

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I hear a lot that Bowen is a dirty player. I always thought you either play in the rules or you don't. What exactly is a dirty player?
There are a number of illegal actions you can take that are unlikely to be seen but can irritate or injure a player. For example sliding your foot under a shooter. You can throw elbows, lean into picks, or just headhunt when fouling.

Chris Paul is pretty dirty. He'll trip you, throw elbows, punch you, undercut you on a fast break all depending on how the game is going. Sometimes he's trying to draw a foul, sometimes he's trying to irritate you, and finally sometimes he's getting even for something. He is a fantastic point guard  ;).

You forgot knee. Almost impossible to see, kneeing a player is very effective, and elbows and push offs.

Or there's the Rondo method, pulling a guy down. Or the thuggets method of flat out tripping someone or pushing from the back.

Some people will confuse good defense with "dirty" - but it's all depends on the observer and their tolerance for physical play.

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »

• Bill Walton
  • Smooth As Silk.
I hear a lot that Bowen is a dirty player. I always thought you either play in the rules or you don't. What exactly is a dirty player?
There are a number of illegal actions you can take that are unlikely to be seen but can irritate or injure a player. For example sliding your foot under a shooter. You can throw elbows, lean into picks, or just headhunt when fouling.

You forgot knee. Almost impossible to see, kneeing a player is very effective, and elbows and push offs.

Or there's the Rondo method, pulling a guy down. Or the thuggets method of flat out tripping someone or pushing from the back.

Some people will confuse good defense with "dirty" - but it's all depends on the observer and their tolerance for physical play.
Players used to throw their knees into Iverson's knees when he was lighting it up, and that can make you miss a few games if they get you right.