Author Topic: Lebron James Smoked Marijuanna (in HS)  (Read 15409 times)

Lebron James Smoked Marijuanna (in HS)
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:51:42 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
On his new book, he admits to smoking maryjane in high school. 

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James struggled with sudden fame after appearing on Sports Illustrated's cover as a 17-year-old and admits he smoked marijuana during his junior year in high school.

Those are two of the revelations in a book chronicling James' rise from Akron, Ohio, hoops prodigy to NBA superstar.

In "Shooting Stars," written by James and co-author Buzz Bissinger, James said the SI cover and the media attention he and his high school teammates received was difficult to handle.

"We had become big-headed jerks, me in particular," James said, "and we are to blame for that, but so are adults who treated us that way and then sat back and smugly watched the self-destruction."

In the book, scheduled for release in September, the NBA's reigning MVP recounts the media circus that enveloped his final two years at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School following his SI cover appearance. James said he and close friends Dru Joyce, Sian Cotton, Romeo Travis and Willie McGee -- nicknamed the Fab Five -- became "rock stars" and took advantage of their celebrity.

"I was arrogant, dubbing myself "The Chosen One," James said. "In hindsight, I should have kept quiet, but I also was what I was, a teenager where every reporter in the world seemed to be rushing toward me at once."

James also revealed he and his teammates smoked marijuana one night after getting access to a hotel room in Akron.

James feels he was unfairly targeted by the media, which he described as "excited spectators at a car crash" after it was learned that his mother, Gloria, obtained a loan to buy him a $50,000 Hummer for his birthday. He said the scrutiny was humiliating for his mother, who was living with him in a rental-assistance apartment.

"Was the vehicle excessive, with its bank of three televisions? Maybe. Probably. Of course it was," James said. "So were the BMWs parked in the St. V lot, belonging to fellow students. But nobody ever questioned those."

James also recounts being suspended by the Ohio High School Athletic Association for accepting two throwback jerseys as gifts from a Cleveland area clothing store. He describes the OHSAA as "ravenous" and is highly critical of former commissioner Clair Muscaro.

James said Muscaro, whose suspension of him was later reduced in court, wanted to put James and his school "in our place. ... "this was a witch hunt, one-man posse's attempt to humiliate me, subject me to ridicule, rip open rumors that I was corrupt and ruin a dream."

James said the experiences drew he and his friends closer and proved to be valuable life lessons, many of which he attributes to "karma."

James and Bissinger focus almost entirely on James' final two years of high school and do not delve into his early career with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Bissinger is best known for "Friday Night Lights," a bestseller on Texas' obsession with high school football.

That is not necessarily something surprising, although somehow I doubt that he only did it once.  That would mean that he didnt even get high.
Baby Jesus!

Re: Lebron James Smoked Marijuanna (in HS)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:53:32 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Ya I heard about that yeterday.  Not really shocking to me.  At least there arent any pictures like Phelpsy or maybe Nike just had them confiscated
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
HOLY COW! A TEENAGER DID A DUMB THING!

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:54:09 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
A reminder:  we don't allow discussion of the legalization of drugs or stories about personal drug use on Celticsblog.  Please post accordingly.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:58:26 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
Thankfully Nike confiscated the Lebron bong hit video.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 08:59:47 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Thankfully Nike confiscated the Lebron bong hit video.

Tooootally beat you to that one :P
Ya I heard about that yeterday.  Not really shocking to me.  At least there arent any pictures like Phelpsy or maybe Nike just had them confiscated
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 09:12:22 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

TP, only the media circus that is our sports news thinks this is a big deal.

I for one, appreciate his honesty on the subject.

How ironic is it that between him and a former sitting prez, LBJ is the one brave enough to admit a mistake in his youth unprompted when he was young, instead of insulting our intelligence with some crazy "i did not inhale" story when the issue is raised? :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 09:13:49 AM »

Offline lostjumper

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
I hear he didn't inhale though, so it was ok...

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 09:15:45 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Who cares?

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 09:22:23 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The bigger story is that he probably does steroids or HGH now. 

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

And then too.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

If that ever comes out as a story, sure.

I'm not one for assassinating a man's character on assumptions.

That's not to say he doesn't (or didn't) but naive as it is, i still believe your innocent until proven otherwise.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 09:35:45 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

That's not to say he doesn't (or didn't) but naive as it is, i still believe your innocent until proven otherwise.

Perhaps, but I think that comes with the territory when you sign a contract worth tens of millions of dollars to play professional sports. 

I'd never make accusations like that concerning an average person.  But I believe when you accept the riches of the NBA, you also accept that you become the fans' source of entertainment.  It's entertaining to most of us to speculate about these things.  If LeBron didn't want to be speculated about publicly, she shouldn't have or wouldn't have signed up to be in the NBA. 

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

If LeBron didn't want to be speculated about publicly, she shouldn't have or wouldn't have signed up to be in the NBA. 
But LeBron isn't the one complaining about a completely blind accusation. So this sentence is not really apt.

I do think any athlete should expect some sort of PED rumor now a days, but that doesn't mean we should just nod our heads when people just spout off random accusations.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 09:41:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

TP, only the media circus that is our sports news thinks this is a big deal.

I for one, appreciate his honesty on the subject.

How ironic is it that between him and a former sitting prez, LBJ is the one brave enough to admit a mistake in his youth unprompted when he was young, instead of insulting our intelligence with some crazy "i did not inhale" story when the issue is raised? :D
Vastly different cultural situation. Bill Clinton and then Barak Obama's disclosures paved the way for other "nice guy" figures to make such admissions.

Not only that but LBJ isn't running for office, this admission won't cost him anything.