Author Topic: Rumor (now reported by Spears) - Rondo to Memphis?  (Read 63820 times)

Re: RealGM forums rumor - Rondo to Memphis?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
Unless we're trading Pierce or Garnett, why would we need Gay as a third forward? He would have to come off the bench. Unless Pierce moves to SG as a result of a Ray Allen trade?

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I dont get this trade at all. AT ALL. If Danny is trying to move Rondo before he deamnds a big contract then why is he trading him for two players who in a year or two are going to do the same thing???

I really hope this isn't true.

on the money side of things, it actually does make sense.

Gay is due for an extension next year, but if he didn't work out, we could just try to move him or worst case release him.

Conley would be locked for about 4 mil through the 2010 FA period, so conceivably if we let Gay and Allen walk, we could go after a top FA in that massibe FA class.

but, yeah I'm not really down with this move because I'm not liking Conley running the point.
Only if Pierce opts out and leaves a ton of money on the table. I don't see that happening.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 09:23:16 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't like this trade very much. If the #2 was thrown in, then it becomes more palatable. I don't think I can take any more Rondo trade rumors..

Really?  We are getting a young star in Gay, and a young PG in Conley, who has the potential to be nearly as good as Rondo, and was starting to show it last season.  I think this is a no brainer for the C's.

I think it's too speculative to say that Conley will be able to build on his success in the second half of last season. I like his handle and I think he should pan out to be a solid PG. I'm skeptical that he will be replace what Rondo gives us. I'm not sure Gay sweetens the deal. If it were Conley and Gasol I'd pull the trigger.

I will say...how cool would it be if we got Marc Gasol and we ended up in the Finals against the Lakers.  The brothers could duel it out on the floor.  Haha.

It would sort of make sense for Memphis to trade Gasol, in a way, if they are planning on drafting Thabeet.  But I doubt it'd happen.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 09:24:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Unless we're trading Pierce or Garnett, why would we need Gay as a third forward? He would have to come off the bench. Unless Pierce moves to SG as a result of a Ray Allen trade?
Pierce would not be good at the 2.

I don't think this trade is going to happen. Ray is much more likely to be moved than Rondo.

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't like this trade very much. If the #2 was thrown in, then it becomes more palatable. I don't think I can take any more Rondo trade rumors..

Really?  We are getting a young star in Gay, and a young PG in Conley, who has the potential to be nearly as good as Rondo, and was starting to show it last season.  I think this is a no brainer for the C's.

I think it's too speculative to say that Conley will be able to build on his success in the second half of last season. I like his handle and I think he should pan out to be a solid PG. I'm skeptical that he will be replace what Rondo gives us. I'm not sure Gay sweetens the deal. If it were Conley and Gasol I'd pull the trigger.

It would sort of make sense for Memphis to trade Gasol, in a way, if they are planning on drafting Thabeet.  But I doubt it'd happen.
I don't buy that. You can never get enough quality big men. It is not like Marc Gasol is Dwight Howard, you don't pass on a center you believe in because you have him.

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2009, 09:25:30 PM »

Offline RD3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
First of all, im not buying this for a second. Does anyone on this site actually think the cheap az grizzlies are going to put out a max type deal for rajon rondo? I don't. But to have some fun, lets just suspend reality for a second. If this truly was going to go down, i could easily see Danny flipping Gay to Phoenix for Stoudemire. Ray would have to be involved to make the money work, but it would make a little sense. Also, it was reported at the trade deadline last year, that the suns wanted Rudy Gay in a deal for Amare. This way, they could end up with what they want.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:01 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Why would something like this get posted with no source, some kid just saying he saw it on TV, he is probably from LA too.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:13 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I dont get this trade at all. AT ALL. If Danny is trying to move Rondo before he deamnds a big contract then why is he trading him for two players who in a year or two are going to do the same thing???

I really hope this isn't true.

on the money side of things, it actually does make sense.

Gay is due for an extension next year, but if he didn't work out, we could just try to move him or worst case release him.

Conley would be locked for about 4 mil through the 2010 FA period, so conceivably if we let Gay and Allen walk, we could go after a top FA in that massibe FA class.

but, yeah I'm not really down with this move because I'm not liking Conley running the point.
Only if Pierce opts out and leaves a ton of money on the table. I don't see that happening.

I actually don't think Pierce has to leave a ton of money on the table. but yeah, he would have to opt out and take a 5 or 6 year deal that starts out around 15 mil per....

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Pierce would not be good at the 2.

I don't think this trade is going to happen. Ray is much more likely to be moved than Rondo.

Wholeheartedly agreed.  I also think it'll definitely be one or the other.  We wouldn't trade 2 starters, it would be too dramatic of a change.

You know, in a way this "rumor" is kind of funny...around draft time anybody can make a post with some semi-plausible trade rumor and claim they heard about it and that the source said it was "very likely" and everybody will suddenly get into a frenzy about it.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't think this rumor has any credibility whatsoever.

That said, if the trade went down and included the #2 which is used on Thabeet and then the Celtics sign Andre Miller(MLE) and and Joe Smith(Vet Min) resign both Powe and Baby here's the roster to that point:

PG: Miller/Conley/Pruitt
SG: Ray/House/Tony
SF: Pierce/Gay/Walker
PF: KG/Smith/Powe
C:  Perk/Baby/Thabeet

Ladies and gentlemen, that would definitely be your 2010 NBA World Champions.

Of course, the rumor is bogus so.....nevermind!!

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

That said, if the trade went down and included the #2 which is used on Thabeet and then the Celtics sign Andre Miller(MLE) and and Joe Smith(Vet Min) resign both Powe and Baby here's the roster to that point:

I think we'd be nuts to take Thabeet over Rubio if we had the #2

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Barring injury I think we'd be the best team in the league again. But the best team doesn't always win in the playoffs.

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2009, 09:30:31 PM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
is this Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. true

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
is this **** true
No just a BS thread from RealGM. These sort of rumors are thrown up all the time without any sourcing or chance of happening.

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
First off, I think it's just somebody's made up idea.

That aside, I think it'd be a good deal for us, clearly.

In fact, I think Memphis would turn it down.