Author Topic: Rumor (now reported by Spears) - Rondo to Memphis?  (Read 63818 times)

Re: RealGM forums rumor - Rondo to Memphis?
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2009, 06:37:15 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Jeff just posted an update to this rumor on the front page. Spears talks about it, and it definitely becomes a different kind of rumor:

"While there has been talk around the NBA from several scouts that the Celtics have been shopping guard Rajon Rondo, he isn't expected to be dealt. While unlikely, one Eastern Conference executive said the latest trade rumor included Rondo and forward Brian Scalabrine going to Memphis for guard Mike Conley and swingman Rudy Gay."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

beat me to it

yeah, time to start taking this one a little more seriously (unless that Eastern Conf. GM is a RealGM reader - which is entirely possible)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2009, 06:45:39 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Jeff just posted an update to this rumor on the front page. Spears talks about it, and it definitely becomes a different kind of rumor:

"While there has been talk around the NBA from several scouts that the Celtics have been shopping guard Rajon Rondo, he isn't expected to be dealt. While unlikely, one Eastern Conference executive said the latest trade rumor included Rondo and forward Brian Scalabrine going to Memphis for guard Mike Conley and swingman Rudy Gay."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

beat me to it

yeah, time to start taking this one a little more seriously (unless that Eastern Conf. GM is a RealGM reader - which is entirely possible)

LOL, anything is possible. Chad Ford's comments about the possible coaching problems for Rivers regarding Rondo make me think that a deal is likely. Plus, I am not very sure Memphis knows who to pick with the 2#. I believe either this trade finally goes through or the Grizz make a deal with the Wolves.

« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2009, 06:47:37 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
BTW, maybe the title of this thread could also change...it's no longer one of those strange Willie Green realgm rumours :P Now it's the Boston Globe reporting. Man, and I need to go to work soon and won't be able to check the blog til after  :'(

« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2009, 06:52:46 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
BTW, maybe the title of this thread could also change...it's no longer one of those strange Willie Green realgm rumours :P Now it's the Boston Globe reporting. Man, and I need to go to work soon and won't be able to check the blog til after  :'(

done - now go be productive

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2009, 06:57:27 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton

done - now go be productive

:D

Cool! I guess there would be some pieces missing, it doesn't work in the "trade machines"

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine
http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/3/

Re: Rumor (now reported by Spears) - Rondo to Memphis?
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2009, 07:05:39 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
I think that is what JR Giddens is for (see original rumor on RealGM)

« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Do we think Gay can effectively play the two guard? I know naturally he is a SF
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2009, 08:40:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Do we think Gay can effectively play the two guard? I know naturally he is a SF
I wouldn't ask him to for long stretches, he's a big long body. I'm sure you could play him and Pierce together for while Ray was on the bench in most match up situations.

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2009, 08:43:20 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
ok, thats what I was concerned about. so i guess assuming we sign a vet pointguard, like andre miller, I would be semi happy with  this

Miller/Conley/House
Ray/Gay/House
Pierce/Gay
KG/BBD/Powe
Perk/Cheap big
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
first off about conley...as an osu alum I watched him play every second of every game as a frosh. when the kid has talent around him he is amazing. his shooting is on par with rondo but it is improving. here in columbus we all heard he couldn't lead osu to the final four and he indeed did. can he run the celtics with guys like pierce, ray allen, KG (and lets be honest..his health is the most important factor for boston)? yes...but imagine rudy gay being able to play the SG and the SF spot....HUGE HUGE upgrade...also frees boston up to move ray allen if need be....if not....you have a nice replacement right there when allen does leave....i prefer dumping tony if at all possible. and if boston does make this deal...i see them resigning marbury as a veteren PG. it would be an adjustment but there is obviously problems with rondo

« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
ok, thats what I was concerned about. so i guess assuming we sign a vet pointguard, like andre miller, I would be semi happy with  this

Miller/Conley/House
Ray/Gay/House
Pierce/Gay
KG/BBD/Powe
Perk/Cheap big

I could live with this team
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I really wouldn't be surprised if these "whispers" about Rondo being involved in that trade are nothing more than whispers generated by that fake post.

I'll be quite surprised if that deal goes down.

That said...who knows I guess.  If it did happen, I'd be unhappy but at least we could hope Rudy Gay reaches his potential in a couple years.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Miller/Conley/House
Ray/Gay/House
Pierce/Gay
KG/BBD/Powe
Perk/Cheap big

I could live with this team

i could too if they would replace powe with someone that can play ASAP as well as another big:

conley, andre miller,
ray, gay, house
pierce, gay
kg, baby, MCDYESS
PErk, another big

« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Definitely an interesting development although I'm still taking everything with a HUGE grain of salt.  

Its not as drastic as many of the other proposals out there.  A benefit to this deal is that Ray remains for the time being and we grab ourselves a legitimate wing backup which was sorely needed last year.  The big question mark, obviously, is the PG position.  Do you hand the keys to Conley right away or do you go out and grab yourself a veteran PG (which there are quite a few out there in free agency)?  The other concern I have is whether that PG could fit in our system right away.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2009, 08:53:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I know this may be getting ahead of things, but is it likely that they can resign BBD as well as signing a vet PG and a Vet Big like dice?