Author Topic: Rumor (now reported by Spears) - Rondo to Memphis?  (Read 63815 times)

Re: RealGM forums rumor - Rondo to Memphis?
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2009, 11:13:54 PM »

Offline CeltsGM21

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
It literally pains me to see so many trade rumors involving Ray and Rondo, especially when they turn as serious as being reported on ESPN.  I don't want to see any of our starting five go, and I really think we need to keep this nucleus until people start retiring or it just doesn't look like we can win another championship with them.  I really hope all these rumors just fade away into nothing by Thursday.  Of course, even if they do fade away, I also worry that Rondo, especially, might question his desire to be on a team that was reportedly shopping him and ruin our chemistry.  Now if the other players really do dislike playing with the kid, then I would really like to hear about that, and maybe then I would feel differently, but until then, I don't like any of this talk at all.

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2009, 12:16:57 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't like this trade very much. If the #2 was thrown in, then it becomes more palatable. I don't think I can take any more Rondo trade rumors..

Really?  We are getting a young star in Gay, and a young PG in Conley, who has the potential to be nearly as good as Rondo, and was starting to show it last season.  I think this is a no brainer for the C's.

With the caveat that RealGM is the Weekly World News of NBA Web sites, from front to back, I don't find this trade quite the disaster that most posters do.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:36:13 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2009, 12:17:09 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Rubio would make a nice waterboy for Marbury.

Oh and that poster already admitted that the rumor is fake in another part of the realgm forums.

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2009, 12:29:35 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
1. This idea appears to be made up

2. I'd rather have Rudy Gay than the 2nd pick in this draft and I am not a huge Rudy Gay fan

3. Stop with the nonsense that Paul can't play the 2.  That's BS.  Paul has shown not only that he's capable of playing the 2 defensively, he is our best defensive wing.   He could play the 2.

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2009, 12:31:05 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Rubio would make a nice waterboy for Marbury.

You win the exaggerated post of the week award.  Congratulations!
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2009, 12:32:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Another benefit of this trade is, under my earlier scenario, if the trade was:

Rondo, Giddens, Scal <----> Conley, Gay, #2

The Celtics could find a way to do a deal where they could then move the #2 to the Knicks for David Lee(S&T) and the #8 pick. At 8 the Celtics could possibly still have Tyreke Evans available to pick.

The C's then cut Pruitt, sign Joe Smith(Vet Min), sign Jason Kidd(less years and money than Miller using MLE which is key in developing 2 young PGs), and resign Powe and Baby.

Now you have:

PG: Kidd/Conley/Pruitt
SG: Ray/House/Tony
SF: Pierce/Gay/Walker
PF: KG/Baby or Lee/Powe
C: Perk/Lee or Baby

And then, when Greg Oden turns into the beast that he will become, and I am 100% sure that will happen, a gentleman named Mike Conley Sr., who just so happens to be Greg Oden's agent, could talk Greg Oden into signing as a Celtic when he becomes unrestricted.

That's a win now and win later formula if I ever heard one!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2009, 12:59:29 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Guys.. I think people on the forums overrate Rondo a bit. I'll do this trade in a heartbeat. I think Conley would do really well in our system. Give him a couple years and I think he'll be almost as good as Rondo. And if Memphis throw in the number 2 pick.. even better. Rubio starts and Conley would be a perfect back-up.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2009, 01:04:09 AM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I'd only trade Rondo to Memphis for Gay and Mayo

« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2009, 01:04:28 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Guys.. I think people on the forums overrate Rondo a bit. I'll do this trade in a heartbeat. I think Conley would do really well in our system. Give him a couple years and I think he'll be almost as good as Rondo. And if Memphis throw in the number 2 pick.. even better. Rubio starts and Conley would be a perfect back-up.

Rubio isn't likely to be ready to lead a title contender as a rookie. And even if Conley's almost as good as Rondo in a couple of years, how old will KG and Paul be by then?

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2009, 01:06:29 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Conley has been a major disappointment and is overpaid for the production you get.  Suggesting that he might eventually be as good as Rondo suggests that you either no very little OR underrate Rondo's contribution.  I'm going to say it is the latter to be nice.

« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2009, 03:46:37 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Actually, I think this trade is good for both teams. Conley is a very nice prospect with some experience already acquired in Memphis, whereas Gay is a really good baller. Both players would be pieces for the future but that would contribute right away for the team, probably to make the bench much better. Then we would sign some old vets to compensate.

« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2009, 03:50:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
That Rudy Gay contract extension is terrifying

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2009, 04:39:58 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I'd probably do it Gay and what, Conley plus the two? for Rondo if we can sign Andre Miller.

« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
only way this deal holds up if the number 2 is involved, then we trade ray. Gay isnt gonna be the back up 2/3

« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2009, 06:34:11 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Jeff just posted an update to this rumor on the front page. Spears talks about it, and it definitely becomes a different kind of rumor:

"While there has been talk around the NBA from several scouts that the Celtics have been shopping guard Rajon Rondo, he isn't expected to be dealt. While unlikely, one Eastern Conference executive said the latest trade rumor included Rondo and forward Brian Scalabrine going to Memphis for guard Mike Conley and swingman Rudy Gay."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/