Author Topic: Bill Simmons says 2020 Lakers would beat 2008 Celtics  (Read 23395 times)

Re: Bill Simmons says 2020 Lakers would beat 2008 Celtics
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2020, 01:19:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The lengths Moranis goes to defend LeBron ;D
Sorry that I recognize greatness and actually appreciate it.  Lebron James is the greatest player of all time and still in year 17 was the 2nd best player in the league last season (and given the respective post season runs you could reasonably argue was actually better than Giannis).  You can reasonably expect him to be a top 3 or 4 player next year as well, in year 18.  Just absolutely amazing. 

And it isn't just a defense of Lebron, I'm defending history in this thread.  You know the history where the team with the two best players in a series wins something like 95% or more of the time.  It is an easy argument to make when you have the entire history of the league of supporting the position.  Now if you want to argue that KG and Davis are about equal, that is fair, but you still have to fight against history where a team with the best player and the 3rd best player loses a playoff series because that too is also rare (not as rare, but still very rare). 

This is also why I've been more down on the C's title chances the last 5 years than most of the board.  The simple truth is Boston just hasn't had the level of player needed to really win since KG got hurt in 2009.  Hopefully Tatum hits that top 5 level of player at some point in his career and can be the anchor to a multi-year contender.  I believe he can, but I also don't think that happens next year.  21-22 I think is that time when he really starts hitting his peak.  I just hope Ainge hasn't ruined Boston's chances to compete at that time with all these win now moves sacrificing assets that could have been used to support Tatum when it actually makes sense to support Tatum (obviously Brown is a great 2nd piece, but those two alone aren't nearly enough).
Yep, you and you alone see and appreciate greatness! The rest of us just have no clue :/
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2020, 08:38:40 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
I feel that it would be a pretty close series. The Lakers have two of the top three players in this series (it starts getting really weird when you start nitpicking which out of the three is the best, they're really close as much as some people would like to underrate 08 Garnett compared to 20 LeBron and Davis :laugh:) while the Celtics have two All-NBA calibre players to somewhat compensate for their lack of a second MVP-calibre player.
KG and Davis are pretty close, neither is particularly close to playoff Lebron.  Lebron is just on another level when he is engaged and focused in the playoffs (he clearly puts on cruise control at points during the regular season).  KG was still a MVP level player, but in year 13 had started his decline. He dropped off quite a bit in 09 before the knee injury.  Age and wear was starting to show, which is why I think Davis was a better player this past season.  He had a lot more life in his legs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2020, 10:29:34 AM »

Online ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 35
I feel that it would be a pretty close series. The Lakers have two of the top three players in this series (it starts getting really weird when you start nitpicking which out of the three is the best, they're really close as much as some people would like to underrate 08 Garnett compared to 20 LeBron and Davis :laugh:) while the Celtics have two All-NBA calibre players to somewhat compensate for their lack of a second MVP-calibre player.

Paul Pierce won the NBA Finals MVP that year so he would be it.  8)

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2020, 01:21:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
KG and Davis are pretty close, neither is particularly close to playoff Lebron.  Lebron is just on another level when he is engaged and focused in the playoffs (he clearly puts on cruise control at points during the regular season).  KG was still a MVP level player, but in year 13 had started his decline. He dropped off quite a bit in 09 before the knee injury.  Age and wear was starting to show, which is why I think Davis was a better player this past season.  He had a lot more life in his legs.

The knee injury occurred pre-season in 2009.  He played through it, until he couldn’t.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

The knee injury occurred pre-season in 2009.  He played through it, until he couldn’t.
ah.  makes sense.  he was still declining (even in Minny)

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2020, 02:56:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5wizzVVC8

Ok I'll have to cut Bill Simmons "SOME" slack even though he's as off with his opinion in this thread as a winding country road.

GREAT interview with one of the greatest of all time, Bill Russell.

Now time to do ANOTHER ONE, Simmons....speak to The Jays. Interview THEM.

Leave LAL bandwagon alone and come on back home to BOS.

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2020, 03:22:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sorry that I recognize greatness and actually appreciate it. 
Yep, you and you alone see and appreciate greatness! The rest of us just have no clue :/

LOL

It's the apparent need to inundate anybody who fails to evince adequate reverence for LeBron with belabored arguments about how much better he and his teams are than the Celtics and any Celtics team in history, for me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

LOL

It's the apparent need to inundate anybody who fails to evince adequate reverence for LeBron with belabored arguments about how much better he and his teams are than the Celtics and any Celtics team in history, for me.
The Lakers this year wouldn't be the great C's teams from the 60's or 80's, the 08 team just isn't on that level.

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

LOL

The Lakers this year wouldn't be the great C's teams from the 60's or 80's, the 08 team just isn't on that level.

Wait...you're saying that our 2007-08 Boston Celtics team can't beat or compete with the 2020 Lakers?

Is this what you're saying?

If so, why not?

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I suspect that KG would have Davis begging for his mommy.  There isn’t a defender playing today who holds a candle to KG.  Hell, I took Giannis in the Historic Draft, and his defense can’t compare to KG’s.  Davis has never seen anything like 2008 KG.

Size + mobility + instincts / BBIQ + intensity + dirtyness. The guy was the total defensive package.

Hot take:  if KG did nothing on offense other than pass, set screens, and score off of putbacks, he’d still be a top five player in the NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I suspect that KG would have Davis begging for his mommy.  There isn’t a defender playing today who holds a candle to KG.  Hell, I took Giannis in the Historic Draft, and his defense can’t compare to KG’s.  Davis has never seen anything like 2008 KG.

Size + mobility + instincts / BBIQ + intensity + dirtyness. The guy was the total defensive package.

Hot take:  if KG did nothing on offense other than pass, set screens, and score off of putbacks, he’d still be a top five player in the NBA.

I know lol that's why I'm trying to get clarification from Moranis.

I know he is an ardent LeBron supporter (and for good reason) but I cannot see how they'd compete with that 07-08 BOS team - especially that BENCH.....

Leon (Tha Show) Powe
Glen Davis
PJ Brown
Posey - LeBron defender
TA - can defend LeBron. Didn''t really come into his prime defensively until MEM days but STILL a good player in BOS

Eddie House
Sam I am
Scott Pollard
Scal

That bench grinds 2020 LAL to a halt.

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Additionally, Perk throwing his size and elbows around....frustrating Dwight...getting him in foul trouble....knocking AD to the floor...

KG and Paul running their mouths.....Perk talking trash.

That 2007-08 Boston Celtic team BULLIES 2020 LAL.

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2020, 07:24:20 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Please don't forget...

Leon "Pimpin" Powe

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Please don't forget...

Leon "Pimpin" Powe

Dude had a HUGE game for us Game 2 Finals 2007-08...21 points IIRC.