Author Topic: Bill Simmons says 2020 Lakers would beat 2008 Celtics  (Read 22645 times)

Bill Simmons says 2020 Lakers would beat 2008 Celtics
« on: October 27, 2020, 06:31:08 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1314675000339693568

So can we agree that Billy from Marlborough has gone Looney Tunes? No way this year's Fakers, who struggled to beat a banged up Heat team minus Dragic for the whole series and minus Adebayo for large parts of it, beat Pierce, Garnett and Allen in their pomp.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Bill Simmons says 2020 Lakers would beat 2008 Celtics
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 06:38:46 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

So can we agree that Billy from Marlborough has gone Looney Tunes? No way this year's Fakers, who struggled to beat a banged up Heat team minus Dragic for the whole series and minus Adebayo for large parts of it, beat Pierce, Garnett and Allen in their pomp.
Not a fan of Simmons but don't think that is crazy.  The 2008 Celtics weren't a juggernaut in the playoffs.  7 games against Hawks and Cavs.  6 games against Pistons and Lakers. 

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:49:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Lakers would have the two best players and that matters a lot, especially in playoff series.  Perk is what is always is, i.e. basically a crappier version of this year's Dwight or McGee.  Rondo was still very much on the upswing that year and is probably a fairly similar player then as he was this year.  The C's had a better bench that year than the Lakers did this year, but I'm not sure that matters all that much.  So the real question is, did Ray Allen as a 3rd option make up the difference between the top 4 in the series, and the answer is probably not.  I mean the C's beat the Lakers in 6 in 2008. A Lakers team that started Derek Fisher and Vladimir Radmanovic and whose best bench player was Sasha Vujacic along with Jordan Farmar, Luke Walton, Rony Turiaf, and a very young Trevor Ariza.  Couple that with the fact that collectively Kobe, Pau, and Odom are worse than Lebron, Davis, and whomever, it isn't crazy at all to think this years Lakers beat the C's of 2008.  Add to that, that the C's that year beat the Cavs in 7.  Obviously Lebron was younger then, but I'm not so sure he wasn't a better player this past season especially when he dialed in for the playoffs.  And that Cavs team was terrible outside of Lebron.  I mean they started Big Z, Ben Wallace, Delonte West, and Wally Szczerbiak with a bench of Joe Smith, Anderson Varejao, Daniel Gibson, and Sasha Pavlovic.  That team took Boston 7 because of the greatness of Lebron James.  Lebron James this year, is still great, arguably better and he was surrounded by the best player he ever played with in Anthony Davis and a nice collection of veterans and young guys.  For all the crap the Lakers got for their free agent moves, they actually put together a pretty well formulated team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think that's bogus.  The Lakers wouldn't have even won the title this year if Rondo hadn't saved them, along with Heat injuries...oh, I guess his scenario pits Rondo against Rondo...

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 07:36:02 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Garbage opinion. I used to like Bill, but it seems like he is just struggling to hold on with outrageous takes/ideas as as of late. This may not be the case (I have no idea what his level of popularity is now compared to what it used to be), but this just seems desperate.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 07:41:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's dead wrong; it's that simple.

Were the 2020 Lakers that much better than the 08 Lakers?  The 08 Lakers two comparable top 2 superstars (prime Kobe, prime Pau) and in addition they had prime Lamar Odom (14 pts 10 reb per game that year).  The rest of the roster (a bunch of role players who could shoot) was similar.

The 08 Celtics demolished the 08 Lakers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Garbage opinion. I used to like Bill, but it seems like he is just struggling to hold on with outrageous takes/ideas as as of late. This may not be the case (I have no idea what his level of popularity is now compared to what it used to be), but this just seems desperate.

Yeah I find myself not wanting to listen to him that much anymore.  It's a bunch of takes that seem strongly colored by the fact that he lives in LA and bounces his ideas off of his LA friends / much younger employees who mostly like the Sixers or Knicks.  The thing he seems most passionate about these days apart from gambling is the Rewatchables podcast, which I could not have any less enthusiasm about.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 07:47:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bill Simmons also thought the 2008 Lakers would beat the 2008 Celtics.

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080530
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:14:15 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 08:04:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Bill Simmons also thought the 2008 Lakers could beat the 2008 Celtics.

8)

The worst part of this exchange was how Lowe apparently thinks that because the 08 Celtics went 7 games against the Hawks that means they weren't that good.

So apparently the 2014 Spurs are garbage because it took them 7 games to beat the 2014 Mavs.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 08:05:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
LOOL wasn't Simmons once a Celtics Guy??

He has a decent debate except that he left out our wonderful bench:

PJ Brown
Eddie House
Tony Allen
Sam I am
James Posey
Scott Pollard
Brian Scalabrine

That bench came through SEVERAL times for us during the playoffs - with Eddie and Posey hitting KEY shots in that HISTORIC game 4 in LAL in 2008 June...

PJ Brown hit some clutch FTs in our series vs CLE that year.

TA and James Posey added perimeter defense.

PJ Brown was an OUTSTANDING sub for KG and Perk.

Eddie House was our marksman off the bench.

I get that LAL Rondo would probably out-play 2007-08 Rondo but it wouldn't be by much.

Overall - 2007-08 BOS's STIFLING defense, a younger PP, KG and Ray and a better Bench pulls us through in 6 games.

If you don't believe me ask Tim Legler.

Hey BS - Get off the Laker bandwagon and come back home, lol. The Jays are about to blow up within the next couple of years.

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 08:40:25 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26

I’m pretty unbiased when it comes to these things but I highly doubt the 2020 Lakers could beat Celtics in a 7 game series. KG would probably be the most ideal defender for AD in NBA history and Pierce held his own against a physically prime LeBron thus I ca t see why he wouldn’t again 2020 version. Pre ACL tear Rondo would kill 2020 Rondo speed wise and 2008 Celtics bench would crush the Lakers.

The problem with Simmons and other major talking heads is that they get to a certain level or pay and they don’t have the time to research anything anymore so pull crap out of their ass to compensate unfortunately.

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 08:55:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
LOL...yeah right

But this is how these clowns get paid, by saying things people will get worked up about.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 09:25:46 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
He's dead wrong; it's that simple.

Were the 2020 Lakers that much better than the 08 Lakers?  The 08 Lakers two comparable top 2 superstars (prime Kobe, prime Pau) and in addition they had prime Lamar Odom (14 pts 10 reb per game that year).  The rest of the roster (a bunch of role players who could shoot) was similar.

The 08 Celtics demolished the 08 Lakers.

And the 08 lakers were favored to win that series.

The 20 lakers were pretty unimpressive compared to past champions imo. Sure they'd have the 2 best players in a series against the 08 C's but match up wise I gotta believe our starting 5 is just better than theirs. And the versatility posey gave our bench on top of it.

I just think that 08 team is the better team in this scenario

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 09:26:55 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Also I think this is simmons looking for attention

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Not a fan of Simmons but don't think that is crazy.  The 2008 Celtics weren't a juggernaut in the playoffs.  7 games against Hawks and Cavs.  6 games against Pistons and Lakers.

Pistons were arguably the favorite to win it all. Lakers went on to win the next two titles. And going 7 against LeBron (defending East champs) isn’t terribly embarrassing. Needing seven to beat Atlanta was one of the most perplexing series I can recall, but also the most lopsided 7-game series (still inexcusable to let an 8-seed win 3 of 7 against one of the most dominant regular-season teams of all-time).

Also, I put the 26 games on Doc more than the Big Three, for whatever that’s worth.
CELTICS 2024