Author Topic: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons  (Read 14958 times)

Re: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
If Irving walks you can't simply "Build around Tatum and Brown".

The Celts will still be over the cap and won't be able to sign anybody of consequence. They'll have to wait until Horford's contract is over and Hayward's is either over or close enough to the end that he'll accept a buyout, before they can even entertain the idea of signing top free agents again. We're talking at least 2 years.

In the meantime they'll have to sign Tatum and Brown to new deals and pay them while the franchise is in a holding pattern.

It's very important that the Celts sign Irving so that he continues to be a contractual asset, if not a basketball one. It's important for Irving too. He'll have a very lucrative contract for 4 or 5 years no matter where he ends up playing.

I'm sure both parties did the math before they agreed to the trade. Remember, he waived a 15% trade clause in order to facilitate being traded to Boston.

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
If Irving walks you can't simply "Build around Tatum and Brown".

The Celts will still be over the cap and won't be able to sign anybody of consequence. They'll have to wait until Horford's contract is over and Hayward's is either over or close enough to the end that he'll accept a buyout, before they can even entertain the idea of signing top free agents again. We're talking at least 2 years.

In the meantime they'll have to sign Tatum and Brown to new deals and pay them while the franchise is in a holding pattern.

Building a team doesnt mean just signing players.

Celtics last championship team was built through trades

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
If Kyrie opts to go elsewhere...it is pretty simple...

-Prolly resign Rozier
-Build around Tatum and Brown
-get a few more years out of Al
-Pray Hayward returns to form

And you have most likely 3 number one picks to draft or package for a better pick or player. They will be quite young but there would be some vets with Smart, Al and Hayward.

Hayward is the wildcard. He is not healthy, he is timid and looks like he has no idea what his role is.
Getting a few more years out of Al requires him wanting to stay here. He's got a player option next season if I'm not mistaken. If he wants to walk this summer, he can.

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2019, 09:26:06 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC

-Prolly resign Rozier

And you have most likely 3 number one picks to draft or package for a better pick or player. They will be quite young but there would be some vets with Smart, Al and Hayward.

Hayward is the wildcard. He is not healthy, he is timid and looks like he has no idea what his role is.
Getting a few more years out of Al requires him wanting to stay here. He's got a player option next season if I'm not mistaken. If he wants to walk this summer, he can.

I think he can get the most from Boston. But if he walks, he opens up space for the Cs.

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671

-Prolly resign Rozier

and that is why as much as we like our young players you invest in the known before the unknown. brown and tatum are not equal to kyrie and AD. you give yourself the best shot to win titles.
there is no guarantee with any draft picks of how they will pan out.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2019, 09:27:25 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

-Prolly resign Rozier

I think he can get the most from Boston. But if he walks, he opens up space for the Cs.
To sign a player as good?  Probably not.

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2019, 09:28:58 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC

-Prolly resign Rozier

and that is why as much as we like our young players you invest in the known before the unknown. brown and tatum are not equal to kyrie and AD. you give yourself the best shot to win titles.

I am not disagreeing with you. Keeping Kyrie and trading for AD should be the top option. Just saying that if it goes the other way, it won't be all gloom and doom to where the Cs fall off the earth. Still good young talent to win with.

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2019, 09:32:28 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

-Prolly resign Rozier

Agree with this, the league is improving. the "bad" teams of the past few years got some nice young talent that will start to click soon (Suns looking better lately, Magic, Mavs, even Hawks and Bulls) we need to distance ourselves from those teams.
relaying on the young core, we are in the same bed as those other young teams.

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2019, 09:32:45 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
The thing is it's going to be a seller's market this summer for free agents - more teams with max slots available than actual max players.  Someone's going to be left in the cold.

I just think that if Horford goes - they may be screwed.  Keeping him should be their main priority.

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2019, 09:33:30 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671

-Prolly resign Rozier

I am not disagreeing with you. Keeping Kyrie and trading for AD should be the top option. Just saying that if it goes the other way, it won't be all gloom and doom to where the Cs fall off the earth. Still good young talent to win with.

i understand your point. if we get to that point then yes, all we can do then is hope young guys develop and then look for another bigtime player to help us. we really need hayward to get back to form. he really is a wild card now and can make all the difference regardless which way we go.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2019, 09:34:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
CUte idea and I love Tatum but that team probably wins 35 games unless he makes a major leap quick... and if he did make that leap you’d be kicking yourselves the team didn’t have a second star like kyrie so they could actually contend.

Again, I'm not sure why we're referring to contending with Kyrie as if it's a given that having him means we would be able to contend.

Recent evidence suggests otherwise.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

-Prolly resign Rozier

I agree with you on re-signing Kyrie then trading for AD.

But if that doesn't happen then I think the Celts should rebuild again.

Tatum and Brown are still young.

Celts should trade Horford if there's no Kyrie or AD.

There's just no point in becoming a middle of the pack team with Al Horford.

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2019, 09:36:17 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

-Prolly resign Rozier

i understand your point. if we get to that point then yes, all we can do then is hope young guys develop and then look for another bigtime player to help us. we really need hayward to get back to form. he really is a wild card now and can make all the difference regardless which way we go.

Couldn't agree more about Hayward.  He changes everything if he can return to All-Star form.  Even if Kyrie bails, the Celtics would be a difficult match-up with a core of Horford, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, and Smart. 

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2019, 09:40:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Do we want to build around our young guys and be a good team for a long time like the Hawks a few years or so back?  Or do we want to take a chance at being great and contending for championships?  I'll choose the latter and trade Tatum plus for Davis and re-sign Kyrie.

Let's at least acknowledge that if you go the Kyrie and AD route, in a year's time we could be watching Horford, Davis, and Kyrie all leave in free agency while we're left with ... Robert Williams?  Semi Ojeleye?  Terry Rozier if we're dumb enough to sign him long term?

I could very easily see the following:

Celts trade everything for AD because they feel they have no choice.  (Smart, Brown, Tatum, Williams, picks)

Kyrie re-signs on a two year deal with second year team option.  He's giving it a chance with AD but not going to commit.  Why give up your power?

Celts re-sign Mook b/c he's a Klutch client and they are now beholden to Klutch.

Celts match a 3-4 year offer sheet on Rozier b/c they view him as "Kyrie insurance" and the depth is gone after the trade.

The Celts go through another year of media speculation about whether AD or Kyrie will stay.  The team is up and down.  They struggle to separate from the Bucks, Raps, and Sixers, though they win 55ish games.

Ultimately, the Celts fall short of the Finals due to lack of depth, or perhaps because Kyrie or AD is limited by nagging injuries, as they often are.

AD and Kyrie decide to go elsewhere in summer 2020.

Our bright future of title contention is:  Terry Rozier!
With your infectious optimism, I am surprised you haven't predicted that CBS would get hit by a roof tile while strolling. :)

No accounting for acts of God.

:D

I like brad and think having him as head coach is one of the best aspects of where the Celtics are at right now.  For the record.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC

-Prolly resign Rozier

Couldn't agree more about Hayward.  He changes everything if he can return to All-Star form.  Even if Kyrie bails, the Celtics would be a difficult match-up with a core of Horford, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, and Smart.

He really is. For whatever reason, it just has not worked this season. He just does not seem comfortable. Hope it changes. He is needed.