Author Topic: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons  (Read 14957 times)

Re: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2019, 11:55:25 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Reboot scenario, is for the Celtics to essentially let Horford, Kyrie and all veterans walk and to hand the keys over to Jason Tatum. Bill Simmons talked about it on his Pdcast today.

Thoughts on this approach?

link to podcast, please ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2019, 12:44:12 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah a full reboot is in order. Idk how this team that’s beating the Warriors by 20+ tonight on the road can do anything  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2019, 03:18:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400
I never said other players don't slump, I said Irving doesn't make up for it in other ways. This is pretty clearly reflected in Boston's record.  And frankly, I'm getting pretty f-in tired of people constantly misquoting me and pretending I'm saying things I'm not saying.  You'd think a fellow mod would be better about that, but alas you are offen the biggest culprit.
You didn't address his points about Steph Curry, and then played the victim, sooooooooo I'm guessing you concede the point?

I thought Nick made a really good point with Curry and Irving here. It is especially eye opening that for all the flack that Irving gets for being a gunner, he averages more assists per game than curry. How come people don't talk about that? It is also not like we can say Irving has only done this on bad teams. He is an NBA champion.

« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2019, 03:26:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Reboot scenario, is for the Celtics to essentially let Horford, Kyrie and all veterans walk and to hand the keys over to Jason Tatum. Bill Simmons talked about it on his Pdcast today.

Thoughts on this approach?

link to podcast, please ?
Its the latest BS podcast https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast "Celtics Collapse"

« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I never said other players don't slump, I said Irving doesn't make up for it in other ways. This is pretty clearly reflected in Boston's record.  And frankly, I'm getting pretty f-in tired of people constantly misquoting me and pretending I'm saying things I'm not saying.  You'd think a fellow mod would be better about that, but alas you are offen the biggest culprit.
You didn't address his points about Steph Curry, and then played the victim, sooooooooo I'm guessing you concede the point?

I thought Nick made a really good point with Curry and Irving here. It is especially eye opening that for all the flack that Irving gets for being a gunner, he averages more assists per game than curry. How come people don't talk about that? It is also not like we can say Irving has only done this on bad teams. He is an NBA champion.
The only mistake Nick made in his post was not using I.T. as one of his examples.  To combat the false narratives being spun by the I.T. fan boy club/Kyrie hate club you must include I.T. statistics to show them just how ridiculous their spin is.  Including all regular and post season games I.T. had 75 out of 204 career games in a Boston uniform with a FG% below 40%. 

« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2019, 03:44:22 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
not at all, Curry is better and does more than Irving.  I find it ridiculous anyone would actually argue that point.  My rant was quite simply people claiming I said something I didn't and me posting his percentages was in direct contradiction to your factually incorrect statement that Irving's efficiency is ridiculously good and me being wrong about his slumps. If anything Nick in a round about way actually supported my position against you, he just did it by making up arguments I never made.
It's okay to admit your wrong. Don't worry about it. It happens. But when all known statistics (that aren't sliced and diced to fit your narrative) disagree with your insane reasoning, maybe it's time to throw in the towel. Kyrie Irving efficiency is top-notch in the NBA, and that's undeniable.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2019, 03:58:51 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

Perhaps because writ large it's not a reasonable indictment of Curry; this year's Warriors, dysfunctional as they are, are leading the league in assists per game, offensive rating, effective field goal percentage (and normal field goal percentage).

Also can you really be called a gunner if you're the best shooter in the league's history?

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2019, 04:05:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Curry is better and does more than Irving

He’s better. Unquestionably, in my mind.

But what is the “more”  that he contributes?

Defense, passing, rebounding... differences are fairly negligible.  Arguably floor spacing and getting to the line, but those are again small differences.

So, I don’t see that he does much more. He’s just better.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2019, 04:07:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
not at all, Curry is better and does more than Irving.  I find it ridiculous anyone would actually argue that point.  My rant was quite simply people claiming I said something I didn't and me posting his percentages was in direct contradiction to your factually incorrect statement that Irving's efficiency is ridiculously good and me being wrong about his slumps. If anything Nick in a round about way actually supported my position against you, he just did it by making up arguments I never made.
It's okay to admit your wrong. Don't worry about it. It happens. But when all known statistics (that aren't sliced and diced to fit your narrative) disagree with your insane reasoning, maybe it's time to throw in the towel. Kyrie Irving efficiency is top-notch in the NBA, and that's undeniable.

I have never understand why some have such a hard time admitting they were a little off on something online on forums. it is not like everyone is going to turn and point and laugh at them nelson muntz style. If anything, when I see someone admit the other person made a real good point and change their point/admit they were a bit off, I respect the poster and really take their posts more seriously.

« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2019, 04:41:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

Defense, passing, rebounding... differences are fairly negligible.  Arguably floor spacing and getting to the line, but those are again small differences.

Who do you think is a better passer, Curry or Irving?

« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2019, 05:05:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Very similar. Neither is a great creator; both are better when they share the ball with another primary ball-handler.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2019, 05:28:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

Very similar. Neither is a great creator; both are better when they share the ball with another primary ball-handler.

I think you would have to give to give the nod to Kyrie given that he averages 1.5 more assists per game playing with much poorer shooters. If Kyrie got to feed Durant and Klay as starters compared to Tatum and Smart.. you would have to think their assists numbers would be even more pronounced..

you add in that they have pretty equal defensive ratings... tough to say curry does more things with a straight face. I wouldn't have really guessed how close they were at other things till Nick made his post. Had never seen those numbers before side by side.

« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

The only mistake Nick made in his post was not using I.T. as one of his examples.  To combat the false narratives being spun by the I.T. fan boy club/Kyrie hate club you must include I.T. statistics to show them just how ridiculous their spin is.  Including all regular and post season games I.T. had 75 out of 204 career games in a Boston uniform with a FG% below 40%.
um the same problems Irving has were even more compounded with IT as his size was a huge detriment defensively and elsewhere.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2019, 07:08:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

um the same problems Irving has were even more compounded with IT as his size was a huge detriment defensively and elsewhere.
More strange hills to die on
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think you would have to give to give the nod to Kyrie given that he averages 1.5 more assists per game playing with much poorer shooters. If Kyrie got to feed Durant and Klay as starters compared to Tatum and Smart.. you would have to think their assists numbers would be even more pronounced..

you add in that they have pretty equal defensive ratings... tough to say curry does more things with a straight face. I wouldn't have really guessed how close they were at other things till Nick made his post. Had never seen those numbers before side by side.

Curry also shares the ball with Durant, Green and Thompson.  That means fewer chances for assists.

Look at their career numbers. I have a hard time saying Kyrie is a definitively better passer. But, I don’t think Steph has a clear edge there, either.

They’re pretty similar at everything. Curry just is better at putting the ball in the hoop.