Author Topic: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons  (Read 14933 times)

“Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Reboot scenario, is for the Celtics to essentially let Horford, Kyrie and all veterans walk and to hand the keys over to Jason Tatum. Bill Simmons talked about it on his Pdcast today.

Thoughts on this approach?

Re: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 05:35:05 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm no salary cap expert but I don't think it's as simple as their salaries coming off and having that money to spend.  I think it would be hard to build around them.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm in favor a "reboot" scenario EXCEPT I would 100% want Al Horford to stick around.

The ideal would be for him to opt out this summer and then re-sign him to something like 4 years $85 million or whatever.  Maybe a bit overpaid on the back end but I'm OK with that especially if we're looking at a soft rebuild / youth movement for a few years.

Horford is exactly the kind of guy you want leading the way if you're going to have a team of mostly young guys.

I'd want Smart around as well.

Keep those guys in green till they retire as far as I'm concerned.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Terrifying.

Giving away talent for free without even being in a position to bottom out because Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Smart, Rozier, etc will still win a lot of games.

If it comes to that type of scenario -one can imagine: Irving signs somewhere else (doubtful), New Orleans trades Davis somewhere else (doubtful), Horford opts out to sign somewhere else (doubtful) - then you play the cards you were dealt.

Going there because you can?

Sounds like something a cross adolescent would concoct. Self-destructive.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 05:38:10 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
No more reboots please.  This applies to movies as well as this team.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 05:48:03 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Completely fine.

All the draft picks, plus anything gained from trades is cool with me.

I have been tossing around the idea of a massive lineup in my head...but a shotblocker center wpuld be needed.

But

Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford
Center

Brown defends pgs, the center helps there and Hayward runs the offense with Al.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No more reboots please.  This applies to movies as well as this team.

We would still have Brown and Tatum ....  could also have Smart, Horford, Hayward .... is it really a reboot in that case?

It's more like committing to build around Tatum and Brown instead of going for a more "win now" approach with Kyrie and Davis.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 05:55:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
I'm in favor a "reboot" scenario EXCEPT I would 100% want Al Horford to stick around.

The ideal would be for him to opt out this summer and then re-sign him to something like 4 years $85 million or whatever.  Maybe a bit overpaid on the back end but I'm OK with that especially if we're looking at a soft rebuild / youth movement for a few years.

Horford is exactly the kind of guy you want leading the way if you're going to have a team of mostly young guys.

so unless you are proposing just stretching hayward or something, this basically just means letting irving and morris walk right?

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223

so unless you are proposing just stretching hayward or something, this basically just means letting irving and morris walk right?

Yes. Horford has a player option. Isn't this really about not pursuing Davis? 

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 05:59:52 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I'm not prepared to reboot anything until we see how far we can go in the playoffs. Everyone's talking like the season is over. Let's see how we go in the playoffs before blowing the whole thing up.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 06:01:27 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

This is the scenario I want as well. Horford is a great leader and Smart is a true Celtic. Keep everyone, and get a PG Morant or trade for Conley.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 06:15:01 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 435
If Irving leaves and no Davis, go get Cousins or Katner
Cousins or Katner
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Rozier

Baynes
Hayward
Smart
Williams
3 draft picks
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 06:17:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
It's nuts. The team doesn't need a reboot.

This team is not reliant on Kyrie Irving staying. They can be a contender with or without Kyrie. Horford is brilliant. Hayward will hopefully get better next year. This team has lots of young talent for internal development / improvement. And it is loaded with draft picks to make a big trade to add another big talent to the mix.

Rebooting a team when already in such a strong position is stupid.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 895
  • GOT IT!!!
I’ve reached the acceptance stage. Kyrie’s exit is now set to go play with buddy in NY, let’s just be honest. How do you flip a switch if you never had one to begin with?

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1793
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
OMG, this is getting unbearable. I am glad Ainge is in charge and not any of us. Building around Tatum and Brown would be like the Lakers building around Ingram and Kuzma. DA will do everything in his power to maintain and acquire as much top end talent as possible for this team moving forward. He will basically lock Kyrie in a room and not let him leave until he signs a new contract in Boston.

I really hope the Hayward injury isn't the catalyst that removes us from championship contenders for years to come to the Orlando Magic. This season has been disappointing, but going back to an average team with little chance to improve would be devastating.