Author Topic: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons  (Read 14961 times)

Re: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2019, 12:01:45 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671
Do we want to build around our young guys and be a good team for a long time like the Hawks a few years or so back?  Or do we want to take a chance at being great and contending for championships?  I'll choose the latter and trade Tatum plus for Davis and re-sign Kyrie.

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2019, 01:46:07 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I am good with letting Kyrie walk and going with what we have plus our three first round picks this year and whomever Danny can sign.

Small guards don't win championships.

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 02:13:28 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Bill is panicking.
He should take a shower.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2019, 02:30:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Do we want to build around our young guys and be a good team for a long time like the Hawks a few years or so back?  Or do we want to take a chance at being great and contending for championships?  I'll choose the latter and trade Tatum plus for Davis and re-sign Kyrie.

Let's at least acknowledge that if you go the Kyrie and AD route, in a year's time we could be watching Horford, Davis, and Kyrie all leave in free agency while we're left with ... Robert Williams?  Semi Ojeleye?  Terry Rozier if we're dumb enough to sign him long term?

I could very easily see the following:

Celts trade everything for AD because they feel they have no choice.  (Smart, Brown, Tatum, Williams, picks)

Kyrie re-signs on a two year deal with second year team option.  He's giving it a chance with AD but not going to commit.  Why give up your power?

Celts re-sign Mook b/c he's a Klutch client and they are now beholden to Klutch.

Celts match a 3-4 year offer sheet on Rozier b/c they view him as "Kyrie insurance" and the depth is gone after the trade.

The Celts go through another year of media speculation about whether AD or Kyrie will stay.  The team is up and down.  They struggle to separate from the Bucks, Raps, and Sixers, though they win 55ish games.

Ultimately, the Celts fall short of the Finals due to lack of depth, or perhaps because Kyrie or AD is limited by nagging injuries, as they often are.

AD and Kyrie decide to go elsewhere in summer 2020.

Our bright future of title contention is:  Terry Rozier!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2019, 03:54:05 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm not prepared to reboot anything until we see how far we can go in the playoffs. Everyone's talking like the season is over. Let's see how we go in the playoffs before blowing the whole thing up.

What makes you think this team is a good team?

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2019, 04:13:23 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm not prepared to reboot anything until we see how far we can go in the playoffs. Everyone's talking like the season is over. Let's see how we go in the playoffs before blowing the whole thing up.

What makes you think this team is a good team?
Players, coach, deep roster, track record.

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2019, 04:18:09 AM »

Online cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
I think Tatum has proved he’s not ready to lead any team yet.  As a matter of fact as the season has progressed none of these young disgruntled players have shown the desire to step up and lead.  Prove something first

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2019, 06:00:18 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 293
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Let's at least acknowledge that if you go the Kyrie and AD route, in a year's time we could be watching Horford, Davis, and Kyrie all leave in free agency while we're left with ... Robert Williams?  Semi Ojeleye?  Terry Rozier if we're dumb enough to sign him long term?

Celts trade everything for AD because they feel they have no choice.  (Smart, Brown, Tatum, Williams, picks)

That would be a ridiculous offer that should never happen. If Ainge gives all that up for one player (with a one-year contract!!!), he should be fired.

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2019, 06:10:35 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Kyrie re-signs on a two year deal with second year team option.  He's giving it a chance with AD but not going to commit.  Why give up your power?

Celts re-sign Mook b/c he's a Klutch client and they are now beholden to Klutch.

Celts match a 3-4 year offer sheet on Rozier b/c they view him as "Kyrie insurance" and the depth is gone after the trade.

The Celts go through another year of media speculation about whether AD or Kyrie will stay.  The team is up and down.  They struggle to separate from the Bucks, Raps, and Sixers, though they win 55ish games.

Ultimately, the Celts fall short of the Finals due to lack of depth, or perhaps because Kyrie or AD is limited by nagging injuries, as they often are.

They won't have to trade all three of Tatum, Smart, and Brown plus the picks.  It's probably Tatum and either Smart or Brown.  Personally, I'd prefer to keep Smart since he's signed for three more years and he'd fit the team better.  It's also possible for it to only be Tatum and picks plus Williams, salary filler (Yab, Ojeleye) and a sign and trade of Rozier.  There are creative ways of doing it which I'm sure Danny and his people have already thought through.  Either way, I don't see Rozier sticking around.  It doesn't make financial sense for the Celtics or much sense at all for Rozier.

If we keep Smart our starters will be Kyrie, Smart, Hayward, Horford, Davis.  We'll have Baynes as a back up big.  We'll have the mid level exception to add depth and could possibly re-sign Morris.  And players always want to sign with contenders, so our depth will be ok.  If we manage to also keep Brown our depth will be just fine.

I'm not worried about guys wanting to leave.  This team is a legit contender.  The pieces will fit much better than they currently do.  Guys like playing for Stevens, the front office is smart, and the ownership is supportive.  Plus, Pierce and Garnett loved their experience playing in Boston.  The Red Sox and Patriots have no problem retaining players.  There's always a risk guys will want to leave, but you have to take a chance.  Davis and Irving will only be 26 and 27 years old.  This team could win multiple championships.

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2019, 06:30:27 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

With your infectious optimism, I am surprised you haven't predicted that CBS would get hit by a roof tile while strolling. :)

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2019, 06:36:29 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
   just like paul pierce said yesterday prior to the game " one of the reasons the Celtics are where they are is because Jaylen and Jason not taking the next big step from last year". and hes 1000 percent correct. what makes us think it will happen next yr.
Do you think PP would make a leap as a 2nd-year guy next to Iverson and other talented players while bouncing from starter/bench player role? Maybe its enough to imagine him on this team.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:50:21 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2019, 06:58:09 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

With your infectious optimism, I am surprised you haven't predicted that CBS would get hit by a roof tile while strolling. :)

He might see that as a positive.

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2019, 08:32:38 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
   just like paul pierce said yesterday prior to the game " one of the reasons the Celtics are where they are is because Jaylen and Jason not taking the next big step from last year". and hes 1000 percent correct. what makes us think it will happen next yr.
Do you think PP would make a leap as a 2nd-year guy next to Iverson and other talented players while bouncing from starter/bench player role? Maybe its enough to imagine him on this team.
Absolutely not.  Look at how Andre Iquodala suddenly became Andre Iquodala as soon as Iverson was traded.

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2019, 08:39:21 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
CUte idea and I love Tatum but that team probably wins 35 games unless he makes a major leap quick... and if he did make that leap you’d be kicking yourselves the team didn’t have a second star like kyrie so they could actually contend.

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:34 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If Kyrie opts to go elsewhere...it is pretty simple...

-Prolly resign Rozier
-Build around Tatum and Brown
-get a few more years out of Al
-Pray Hayward returns to form

And you have most likely 3 number one picks to draft or package for a better pick or player. They will be quite young but there would be some vets with Smart, Al and Hayward.

Hayward is the wildcard. He is not healthy, he is timid and looks like he has no idea what his role is.