Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 67405 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2014, 09:49:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
One thing I haven't seen much of in the thread:

What if Rondo is being a professional about the process instead of calling attention to it? What if, Rondo understands that Danny Ainge won't give him away for nothing, and also understands that until he establishes he's capable of his previous levels of play and that last year was an outlier, teams won't come with serious offers?

And the leverage Rondo has here, right now, it's pretty minimal. If it came down to a stare down between Danny and Rondo, Danny wins, because other teams don't have an offer on the table that's worth a crap outside of Sacramento, and that's barely worth a crap anyways.

So Rondo throws a public hissy-fit, gets his agent to leak a bunch of stuff, hell even says he'll sit out until he's dealt or Danny brings on another star. Well, great. The Celtics will continue to suck, and Danny will be in the exact same situation at the trade deadline that he's at now.

This is a lot like the Love situation, except in that case, Flip Saunders had a half-dozen serious suitors with decent assets to move. In this case, there's rumors of the Knicks holding a 3-day old cheeseburger from five-guys and two expired tickets to Book of Mormons show that happened last April, there's a kings offer that Rondo won't commit to resigning to, and there's....nothing. Nothing else. No rumors, aside from, "Houston may want in, but they want everybody."

So Rondo and Danny are on the same team right now. There needs to be a market, or the Celtics need to improve.

If you look at all of the star players that were traded in Rondo's situation they all made it known in a big way that they were leaving. Rondo hasn't done that. There's probably been more rumors about teams wanting Rondo than there were for any of those players before they said they were leaving.

Well, yes and no. What other All-Star players were coming off an injury of Rondo's severity, after an atrocious year like Rondo just had? It's unique against the 'pattern'

Chris Paul for one. The reality is that Rondo's drop in play wasn't overly severe for the season after an injury and that his recovery from injury went very smoothly.

« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2014, 09:57:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

What if Rondo is being a professional about the process instead of calling attention to it? What if, Rondo understands that Danny Ainge won't give him away for nothing, and also understands that until he establishes he's capable of his previous levels of play and that last year was an outlier, teams won't come with serious offers?

And the leverage Rondo has here, right now, it's pretty minimal. If it came down to a stare down between Danny and Rondo, Danny wins, because other teams don't have an offer on the table that's worth a crap outside of Sacramento, and that's barely worth a crap anyways.

So Rondo throws a public hissy-fit, gets his agent to leak a bunch of stuff, hell even says he'll sit out until he's dealt or Danny brings on another star. Well, great. The Celtics will continue to suck, and Danny will be in the exact same situation at the trade deadline that he's at now.

This is a lot like the Love situation, except in that case, Flip Saunders had a half-dozen serious suitors with decent assets to move. In this case, there's rumors of the Knicks holding a 3-day old cheeseburger from five-guys and two expired tickets to Book of Mormons show that happened last April, there's a kings offer that Rondo won't commit to resigning to, and there's....nothing. Nothing else. No rumors, aside from, "Houston may want in, but they want everybody."

So Rondo and Danny are on the same team right now. There needs to be a market, or the Celtics need to improve.

If you look at all of the star players that were traded in Rondo's situation they all made it known in a big way that they were leaving. Rondo hasn't done that. There's probably been more rumors about teams wanting Rondo than there were for any of those players before they said they were leaving.

Well, yes and no. What other All-Star players were coming off an injury of Rondo's severity, after an atrocious year like Rondo just had? It's unique against the 'pattern'

Chris Paul for one. The reality is that Rondo's drop in play wasn't overly severe for the season after an injury and that his recovery from injury went very smoothly.

Chris Paul played 80 games the year before he was traded, and made his 3rd straight all-star game. Not really comparable.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Chris Paul played 80 games the year before he was traded, and made his 3rd straight all-star game. Not really comparable.

Chris Paul actually came back the year before. So after being healthy enough to play he had a few more months of rehab followed by training camp and exhibition season, and was coming back from an injury that only cost him a few months of playing time. But in spite of all of that he still scored 5 ppg less than he had the past few seasons in that year. If anything, his play was more troubling than Rondo's because of all that.

« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:33 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Spokeswoman for Rajon Rondo's agent, Bill Duffy, said both men deny that Celtics guard has demanded a trade.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Murf56/statuses/506247408050008065

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2014, 11:03:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Chris Paul actually came back the year before. So after being healthy enough to play he had a few more months of rehab followed by training camp and exhibition season, and was coming back from an injury that only cost him a few months of playing time. But in spite of all of that he still scored 5 ppg less than he had the past few seasons in that year. If anything, his play was more troubling than Rondo's because of all that.

He was all-NBA 3rd team and all defensive 2nd team, and played 80 games. He had plenty of value around the league with plenty of suitors.

If you look at what I said, there isn't a comparison to Rondo right now. It's not comparable until Rondo shows he's capable of being a top-10 pg again, which Paul did, before he got traded, and with 1 more year still left on his contract IIRC. Rondo is a UFA at the end of the year, and he's coming off not just probably his worse year as a pro, but a year in which he was a below replacement value player. Right now Rondo's leverage is minimal. Danny has currently nothing to gain from moving him now, and I know Rondo is smart enough to know that.

« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2014, 11:05:10 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I like Jackie, but I don't believe this for a minute. I don't see Danny trading his captain and best player.

So far he is a clown and an overrated role player. Anything I missed?

how is he a clown?

Just quoting what other people have posted in this thread. I accidentally quoted the wrong post in my original post. So he has been called an overrated role player by one poster and a clown by another.

« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
OPs video is gone.

« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Trade his arse and be down with it!

« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2014, 11:21:43 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1510
I like Jackie, but I don't believe this for a minute. I don't see Danny trading his captain and best player.

So far he is a clown and an overrated role player. Anything I missed?

how is he a clown?

Ya, I don't see it either  he's had a few curious personality moments, but far outweighed IMO by intelligence, hard work, intensity in the playoffs.  I wonder if a role player has ever averaged a triple-double in a playoff series. 

He may not pan out to be a max player, but not overrated. He seems to be generally rated about where he is -- when healthy, an all-star capable PG, in just about everyone's top 8 in the league.

Exactly.  DA knows Rondo's value, and that might be higher to the C's than it is to other teams.  It all depends on the situation of the other team.  How you get Rondo = clown is beyond me.

I think this is a Jackie Mac swing and a miss.  If she really believed that she had this major story about RR demanding to get moved, why didn't she write a feature on it?  Why did the video get taken down?  Obviously the option exists to trade Rondo, but I don't think DA, RR, or anyone else right now knows if that will happen.  Too much can happen over the next 6 months.

« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2014, 11:21:57 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

He was all-NBA 3rd team and all defensive 2nd team, and played 80 games. He had plenty of value around the league with plenty of suitors.

If you look at what I said, there isn't a comparison to Rondo right now. It's not comparable until Rondo shows he's capable of being a top-10 pg again, which Paul did, before he got traded, and with 1 more year still left on his contract IIRC. Rondo is a UFA at the end of the year, and he's coming off not just probably his worse year as a pro, but a year in which he was a below replacement value player. Right now Rondo's leverage is minimal. Danny has currently nothing to gain from moving him now, and I know Rondo is smart enough to know that.

In some private universes, every single thing in existence is perfectly comparable to every other single thing in existence. If there happens to be a difference between two things, it is totally irrelevant, because only similarities (real or perceived) are important...

« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2014, 11:22:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
Trade his arse and be down with it!
comentary here is better appreciated when accompanied with reasoning, explanation, logic, and stats. feel free to add any of these to your insights.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
So sick of the Jackie Mac ass kissing on here . It's like she is untouchable when she comes out with something like this . She hasn't been in the inner circle of the celtics for a number of years, and writes and works for ESPN now , the same company that makes up Rumors and titles it with " Source says" all the time .

I am sure she is a fine writer and had connections in the C's heyday of the Bird era , but she has been saying this about Rondo for a number of years now, and it hasn't happened yet .

Rondo has says on numerous occasions that he loves Boston and wants to stay here , yet people just dismiss it as if it means nothing.

I am not saying that Rondo won't be traded , but we have been hearing this for 5+ years .

The only time I am aware of Danny offering Rondo in a trade was for CP3 and Steph Curry, both top 10-15 players in this league. Danny is a smart GM and isn't trading Rondo for Ben McLemore and filler .

Yet a lot of people on here have this weird obsession with anything Jackie Mac says , as if she is above it all , and can't possibly be wrong .

Rondo is just a jerk,clown,role player trade his ass, he sucks , blah blah blah . 

So sick of it

This C's fan still loves you Rondo, keep ya head up !

« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2014, 11:31:22 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
So sick of the Jackie Mac ass kissing on here . It's like she is untouchable when she comes out with something like this . She hasn't been in the inner circle of the celtics for a number of years, and writes and works for ESPN now , the same company that makes up Rumors and titles it with " Source says" all the time .

I am sure she is a fine writer and had connections in the C's heyday of the Bird era , but she has been saying this about Rondo for a number of years now, and it hasn't happened yet .

Rondo has says on numerous occasions that he loves Boston and wants to stay here , yet people just dismiss it as if it means nothing.

I am not saying that Rondo won't be traded , but we have been hearing this for 5+ years .

The only time I am aware of Danny offering Rondo in a trade was for CP3 and Steph Curry, both top 10-15 players in this league. Danny is a smart GM and isn't trading Rondo for Ben McLemore and filler .

Yet a lot of people on here have this weird obsession with anything Jackie Mac says , as if she is above it all , and can't possibly be wrong .

Resembles your relationship with Rondo...

« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2014, 11:36:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Chris Paul's play the year after he came back from a relatively minor injury was pretty far below his usual level and actually got worse as the season progressed. You're right that he had suitors, in no small part because nba execs are well aware that it takes a while to come back all the way from a knee injury. They're likely to realize that in Rondo's case as well.

As for his play last year, he showed that he could still lead the league in assists, even if you stick him on a team of nobodies that he's barely played with. He showed he was still one of the best rebounding pgs in the league, and that he could still effectively get into the lane. The only things he struggled with are things you'd expect him to until his recovery is farther along. And, again, nba execs would most likely expect him to continue to improve as his recovery's gone very well so far.

« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2014, 11:46:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The thing about debating with you Tim is that I always find myself forgetting what my initial point was. What were we talking about again?